• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C-27J Spartan

Bert

Reaction score
I heard the C-27J Spartan is an air mobility replacement candidate for the aging C-115
Buffalo.

It flew into the Ottawa airport last week on a "show and tell". It looks like a small cousin to the C-130, grey non-reflective paint, in-air rear door feature, and the interiors depict jump capabilities (or this one did). On landing, it practically stopped on a dime and its definitely has punch for the STOL take-off. Interesting prop design like a submarine propellor.

Anyone have any experience with this aircraft? Good replacment?

The C-27J is based upon an Italian aircraft, the G222, the only difference is that there are new engines. The same emgines that are on the C-130J.
Since Canada is expected to ultimately acquire the C-130J the commonality between the two would be helpful for maintanance. However, the C-27J will be up against the C-295 from Spain which has one big thing going for it which is Pratt and Whitney Canada engines. They are both good aircraft and either one can do the job of the Buffalo.

Good posts. Is the C-130J the latest herc? Are its engines similiar to the ones we have now? Which is the better plane, and will the government decide on the basis of where the engine is built? Thanks, I try and keep up but this is good info.

The C-130J will probably be incrementally acquired for the CF. Hard to know these days.

The C-27J and the G222 are not in the same class as the C-130J and are small interopable STOL jump/SAR/specialized cargo aircraft.

I suppose I‘d be a little defeateset to assume that the Government will opt for Bombardier to "develop" a new airframe for us?

Bombardier does not have its "fingers" in the military aviation department (excluding training).

The big problem that the Airforce has with aircraft such as the C-27J and J-model Hercs is those fancy propeller blades. In order for that particular design to hold up to the rigors of flight, it had to be made from composite materials. Present-day propeller blades on tactical airlifters are made from metal. If a composite blade were to be nicked by a rock, the entire propeller blade would have to be replaced. Metal blades are simply sanded smooth, and the plane keeps flying. Since these types of aircraft will be landing on gravel strip runways and the like, the chances of a rock nicking the blade is high.

Yo Zoomie,

Tell that to Bristol (winnipeg)(F-18 Maint).

They were the #1 contender, and Bombardier took it.

No telling what the Quebec pet of the Gov will get next.

Back