• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Copy cats!

Royal Navy Is Painting Its Patrol Boats In WWI-Style Dazzle Camouflage

HMS Tamar has received an iconic coat of paint for its upcoming long-duration mission to the Asia-Pacific region.

“Different styles of dazzle were used by the Royal Navy on ships in various stations throughout the world and were are pleased to have been given an iconic new look before we deploy in the summer,” Lieutenant Commander Hutchinson added.

Meanwhile, Commander David Louis, who heads up the Navy’s Overseas Patrol Squadron, admitted that dazzle “has much less military value in the 21st century although there is still value in littoral environments when viewed against the background of land.”

That is of particular significance for the latest Batch 2 River class offshore patrol vessels (OPVs), which are optimized for overseas service: typically including maintaining a permanent presence in the South Atlantic, supporting British Overseas Territories in the North Atlantic and the Caribbean, or operating in the waters of the Mediterranean and West Africa.

Time for some heads to role in the prosecution service.

'It should NEVER have gone to court': Daughter of soldier shot dead in The Troubles tells of joy as trial of two veterans accused of murdering IRA leader COLLAPSES after judge rejects 1972 evidence 'dressed up' as new​

• Judge said the statements could not be used in the case against the two men
  • He said it was 'remarkable' that two ex-soldiers weren't interviewed by the PSNI
  • Joe McCann, 24, was shot dead as he ran from police and Army in Belfast in 1972
By DAN SALES FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 09:56 EDT, 30 April 2021 | UPDATED: 12:30 EDT, 30 April 2021

Anna-Marie Bankier, 47, told MailOnline she was delighted the case had collapsed.
The daughter of a British soldier killed by Official IRA leader Joe McCann was tonight delighted - after the controversial trial against two paratroopers accused of murdering the republican collapsed.
Statements from the pair of soldiers cannot be used as evidence in their hearing, destroying the much-criticised case levelled against them.
The court heard that the prosecution accepted that if they were excluded the charges against the defendants must fail, but have until 2pm on Tuesday to consider an appeal. ...

Trial of British paratroopers accused of IRA leader murder COLLAPSES

🍻

Fancy 10 days in the whinns and the gorse 100 km ahead of your own troops?

If the "Free State's" Army Ranger Wing don't come for them first. On the other hand they may make for good recruits. Apparently they are perturbed with their MOD civil servants who don't seem to trust people in uniform.

Of course they could always buy out the Grey and Simcoe Foresters. They originate from the same place as rangers. The earliest reference to the word "ranger"

In medieval England, rangers, originally called under-foresters, were the most junior officials employed to "range" through the countryside enforcing the forest law imposed by William the Conqueror to protect the "vert and venison". Their duties were originally confined to seeing that the Forest Law was enforced in the borders, or purlieus, of the royal forests. Above them were the Foresters-in-Fee (later called Woodwards), then the Verderers, then the Justices in Eyre. Their duties corresponded in some respects with that of a mounted forester.[1]

The term ranger seems to correspond to the Medieval Latin word regardatores which appeared in 1217 in the Charter of the Forest. Regardatores was later rendered as rangers in the English translations of the Charter.[2] However, others translate regardatores as regarders. For example, the fifth clause of the Charter of the Forest is commonly translated thus: "Our regarders shall go through the forests making the regard as it used to be made at the time of the first coronation of the aforesaid King Henry [II] our grandfather, and not otherwise."[3] A "regard" is considered to be an inspection of the forest.

The earliest letters patent found mentioning the term refer to a commission of a ranger in 1341.[4] Documents from 1455 state that England had "all manner and singular Offices of Foresters and Rangers of our said Forests".[5]

One of the first appearances of ranger in literature is in Edmund Spenser's poem The Shepheardes Calendar from 1579: "[Wolves] walk not widely, as they were wont, for fear of rangers and the great hunt."

The office of Ranger of Windsor Great Park appears to have been created in 1601.

Rangers in North America, 17th century – 19th centuryEdit

In North America, rangers served in the 17th through 18th-century wars between colonists and Native American Indian tribes. Rangers were full-time soldiers employed by colonial governments to patrol between fixed frontier fortifications in reconnaissance providing early warning of raids. During offensive operations, they acted as scouts and guides, locating villages and other targets for task forces drawn from the militia or other colonial troops.

One of Field Marshal Jean Ligonier's early promotions, in 1736, was to serve jointly with his brother Francis and Lord John Sackville as Chief Ranger of Ireland. The Ligoniers were French protestant refugees from the Cevennes who escaped Louis XIV's dragonnades.

If the "Free State's" Army Ranger Wing don't come for them first. On the other hand they may make for good recruits. Apparently they are perturbed with their MOD civil servants who don't seem to trust people in uniform.

Of course they could always buy out the Grey and Simcoe Foresters. They originate from the same place as rangers. The earliest reference to the word "ranger"

One of Field Marshal Jean Ligonier's early promotions, in 1736, was to serve jointly with his brother Francis and Lord John Sackville as Chief Ranger of Ireland. The Ligoniers were French protestant refugees from the Cevennes who escaped Louis XIV's dragonnades.

Which raises a question I have been pondering for some time now...

.... In the 'Three Musketeers', why were there four musketeers.... without muskets? :)

Last edited:

.... In the 'Three Musketeers', why were there four musketeers.... without muskets? :)
Obvs!

D'artagnan was issued three Musketeers fitted for, not with. Even Richelieu had to contend with Treasury.😁

By the way, WRT the "Ranger" brand?

I kind of like the name that the Brits came up with in any case: The Army's SOBs.

Rangers form part of the new Army Special Operations Brigade (ASOB).

Chapter 20
Aramis, not liking to soil his boots with this artificial mortar, apostrophized them rather sharply. Athos wished to restrain him, but it was too late. The laborers began to jeer the travelers and by their insolence disturbed the equanimity even of the cool Athos, who urged on his horse against one of them.

Then each of these men retreated as far as the ditch, from which each took a concealed musket; the result was that our seven travelers were outnumbered in weapons.

And the book starts with three musketeers. If it was called the Four Musketeers it would give the plot away. Plot structure 101 - don't signal the ending too soon.

😁

By the way, WRT the "Ranger" brand?

I kind of like the name that the Brits came up with in any case: The Army's SOBs.

That's a funny website and English doesn't seem to be their first language

The precision rocket launcher used by the Army is to extend the range so that the British do no harm.

:ROFLMAO:

A good example of asymmetric warfare extended to the use of the court system against your foe ...

My advice to NI soldiers in IRA stitch-up - say NOTHING! says LORD DANNATT

THE continuing pursuit of Northern Ireland veterans is grossly iniquitous and unfair. I have first-hand experience of this. In Belfast in 1973 my driver, Private Raymond "Tapper" Hall, was kneeling by my Land Rover, acting as a sentry, and was shot in the back and killed.

Has anyone ever investigated his murder? No. He was a soldier and soldiers get shot on duty. But on my last day in the Army as Chief of the General Staff my last appointment was with two investigators from the Police Service of Northern Ireland. They came to talk to me about an Irish gentleman who had been shot dead on that same day and in that same area. He had almost certainly been shooting at us.

Another of my soldiers had been shot and wounded that day, too. These investigators were not interested in following up the death of my driver. No one has ever taken a blind bit of interest in my driver.

All they were interested in was who killed a suspected terrorist. This shows the barrenness and complete lack of integrity of the process.

It is largely inspired by Sinn Fein trying to rewrite history to their own advantage as part of their tactics to achieve their strategic aim of getting Northern Ireland to join the Republic of Ireland as one country.

It shows the weakness of this whole legacy business for the judicial system. How can you credibly and with integrity pick up cases that are 49 years old? It is not a level playing field.

The Army kept detailed records; the terrorists kept none. No wonder the investigators come running to the Army for information.

But if it turns out that Soldier A and C’s trial was based in part on answers, they gave to questions to the Historical Enquiry Team in a process to give closure to the family of Joe McCann, that would be outrageous.

If that is the case, why would any sensible veteran give any information to an inquiry team again? I have seen the figure that 200 deaths allegedly caused by members of the Armed Forces during the Troubles are being looked at.

It means many more veterans face these investigations and possibly being charged and tried over events decades ago.

My advice to any veteran is simple: Do not say anything. Do not cooperate. You are in serious danger of being stitched up.

• Lord Dannatt is the Former Chief of the General Staff

A good example of asymmetric warfare extended to the use of the court system against your foe ...

THE continuing pursuit of Northern Ireland veterans is grossly iniquitous and unfair. I have first-hand experience of this. In Belfast in 1973 my driver, Private Raymond "Tapper" Hall, was kneeling by my Land Rover, acting as a sentry, and was shot in the back and killed.

Has anyone ever investigated his murder? No. He was a soldier and soldiers get shot on duty. But on my last day in the Army as Chief of the General Staff my last appointment was with two investigators from the Police Service of Northern Ireland. They came to talk to me about an Irish gentleman who had been shot dead on that same day and in that same area. He had almost certainly been shooting at us.

Another of my soldiers had been shot and wounded that day, too. These investigators were not interested in following up the death of my driver. No one has ever taken a blind bit of interest in my driver.

All they were interested in was who killed a suspected terrorist. This shows the barrenness and complete lack of integrity of the process.

It is largely inspired by Sinn Fein trying to rewrite history to their own advantage as part of their tactics to achieve their strategic aim of getting Northern Ireland to join the Republic of Ireland as one country.

It shows the weakness of this whole legacy business for the judicial system. How can you credibly and with integrity pick up cases that are 49 years old? It is not a level playing field.

The Army kept detailed records; the terrorists kept none. No wonder the investigators come running to the Army for information.

But if it turns out that Soldier A and C’s trial was based in part on answers, they gave to questions to the Historical Enquiry Team in a process to give closure to the family of Joe McCann, that would be outrageous.

If that is the case, why would any sensible veteran give any information to an inquiry team again? I have seen the figure that 200 deaths allegedly caused by members of the Armed Forces during the Troubles are being looked at.

It means many more veterans face these investigations and possibly being charged and tried over events decades ago.

My advice to any veteran is simple: Do not say anything. Do not cooperate. You are in serious danger of being stitched up.

• Lord Dannatt is the Former Chief of the General Staff

He will be pilloried for this, but it is likely the best direction he ever gave. :salute:

He will be pilloried for this, but it is likely the best direction he ever gave. :salute:

Well, like all retired Generals who decide to snipe from the safety of 'behind the pile of their pension cheques', I assume he'll be handed a cup of hot cocoa and invited to have a nice sit in the back yard for awhile before Corornation Street comes on the tele ;)

Well, like all retired Generals who decide to snipe from the safety of 'behind the pile of their pension cheques', I assume he'll be handed a cup of hot cocoa and invited to have a nice sit in the back yard for awhile before Corornation Street comes on the tele ;)
Yeah, but he has been retired for a while. At least he is speaking out, and providing some context.

Back