• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boatswain (BOSN)

D

digital

sup all?

anyone here an aspiring Boatswain/Seaman? ive done all the reaseach i possibly could on it searching the  various DND sites and google. my uncle was a Bosn but not in the CF and he's passed on unfortunately. i know of one CF Bosn reservist, but he's away @ Borden or on a MCDV right now. so till i can talk to him again, can anyone give me some info on MARPAC/BOSUNS/NAVY LIFE/ your opinions on your Initial Contract would be greatly appreciated too.

Links i searched: http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/marpac/ ; http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=181&bhcp=1 ; http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/ ; http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/ ; http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_navy_life/life_profiles_e.asp?category=5 ; and all the ships websites.

thx all...Hooya! :army:

Although I didn't post the original question, I'd still like some info!

-What's your typical day like while at sea?   On shore?

-Could you briefly describe your duties?

-How was the occupational training?

-Is there currently a demand for bos'ns?

-Any other useful info you can provide?

Thanks, really appreciate it!   ;D

Those are some of the same questions I was wondering about

Im not a Bosun but have several friends who are. Hopefully this will shed some light on your questions:

What's your typical day like while at sea?  On shore?

At sea Bosuns stand upper deck watches, generally in a 1-2 rotation (5 hrs on, 7 off, 7 on, 5 off). The stand lookout duties on the upper deck, make general announcements over ships broadcast, and the senior Bosun on the watch acts as the Throttleman while a tech usually drives the ship. When not standing the upper deck watches (but still ON watch) the Bosuns conduct a variety of maintenance procedures.

When posted ashore there are many many options for Bosuns (more options as you gain seniority). I wouldn't suspect you would even get a shore billet with less than 6 years service. Options could include Range Staff, Small arms training, Fleet School Instructor, Small Boats Unit, Boat Shed, Fleet Maintenance, Drill Instructor etc etc.

-Could you briefly describe your duties?

Bosuns do general deck maintenance, guardrail maintenance, small calibre weapons maintenance. They are the â Å“expertsâ ? on small arms, drill and general seamanship evolutions such as RAS (replenishment at sea), fuelling, painting etc.

-How was the occupational training?

Occupational training is short from my understanding and does include navigational training.

-Is there currently a demand for bos'ns?

Yes, there is always demand for Bosuns. They can be considered the â Å“Infantryâ ? of the Navy. There is a requirement for them but the job is undesirable for many.

gravyboat said:
Just look for the monitors with whiteout on the screen.

And â Å“Post Itâ ? notes! I worked for a Bosun last year and he used to say, â Å“I left a note on my computerâ ?. I looked around the corner one day and literally, there were Post It notes all over his computer. ;D ::)

Couple of more postings on the West Coast

Nanoose (operate the range boats)

CFB Comox (operate the crash rescue boats)
Comox is a sweet place (best kept secret)
Mt Washington ski area is right there (opened a whole new ski area this year), fishing, hunting, hiking anything outdoorsy you want.
Courtney-Comox is a rapidly growing area
Serviced by WestJet
and the Bosn work for the Air Force, and since they don't have a clue as to what you do, you can do what ever you want (within reason)

Hey i tried finding infomation on it but cant hope someone can help...

Is it true that the Boatswain trade is over strenght and harder to get in to now ?

thanks in advance :cdn: :army:

The boatswain trade in the regs is never "hurting". THe reserves needs boatswains. THe regs do not.

so is it like impossible almost to get in the boatswain trade ... like i was thinking Infantry .. but i would really like to be in the boatswain.. is that figure like for the intire year only 15 people ?
:cdn:

Hedgehog18 said:
so is it like impossible almost to get in the boatswain trade ... like i was thinking Infantry .. but i would really like to be in the boatswain.. is that figure like for the intire year only 15 people ?
:cdn:

Yes it is hard to get in the trade if there is only 15 positions available.  Impossible no and yes that is for the entire year.  Pick a trade and apply for it and the recruiting centre will tell you if you are competitive for it or not.

Ha Ha thanks that  helps lol well what trade is there that would be like boatswain ?  :cdn:

kincanucks said:
I don't know.   Maybe because they pay in bananas?

Delicious bananas, me work hard, me deck ape. Actually I find it funny that a thread about bosun's has a mispelled subject line. LOL.

BeadWindow said:
Delicious bananas, me work hard, me deck ape. Actually I find it funny that a thread about bosun's has a mispelled subject line. LOL.

;D

Back