• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bloody Politicians...Robinson gets conditional discharge for theft

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone else would have done time.

Former NDP MP Svend Robinson has received a conditional discharge and one year probation after pleading guilty to stealing an expensive diamond ring from an auction.

Robinson faced a range of penalties from absolute discharge to a maximum of 10 years in prison.

The conditional discharge means Robinson receives no jail time and no criminal record if he meets a series of conditions, which include performing 100 hours of community service.

Robinson's high-profile lawyer, Clayton Ruby, told reporters the former MP regrets the entire affair, which he called "a cry for help."

"Mr. Robinson feels a deep sense of shame and remorse," Ruby told reporters. "And he is grateful that the court's judgment reflects the understanding of the role of the exceptional stress under which he's laboured."

"Mr. Robinson took full responsibility for what he did."

Judge Ronald Fratkin, of B.C. provincial court, agreed that the sentence was appropriate.

"I'm satisfied that what he has gone through is enough. He's fallen a long way and embarrassed himself,'' he said.

Ruby told the court that after Robinson "pocketed" the ring, Robinson's partner, Max Riveron, also called police to report that Robinson was acting strangely, rushing around and working frantically around their home. Riveron told police there was obviously too much pressure on Robinson.

"It's my submission this was indeed a cry for help," Ruby told court. "Mr. Riveron recognized that."

Ruby then read several letters from MPs, friends and other colleagues attesting to Robinson's good character. The letters were from such high-profile as former NDP leader Stephen Lewis, environmentalist David Suzuki, and cabinet minister Stephen Owen.

In court to show their support were Vancouver NDP MP Libby Davies, and Bill Siksay, Robinson's longtime constituency assistant who won Robinson's seat in the June federal election.

The 25-year former member of Parliament tearfully admitted to a new conference back in April that he has pocketed an expensive diamond ring from an auction back in April.

Citing "extreme stress and emotional pain," Robinson said the theft was "an act that was totally inexplicable." He blamed some of the stress on a 1997 hiking accident that left him severely injured.

The auction house had estimated the ring's value at $64,500, but the RCMP obtained a retail evaluation of the ring of $21,500.

After coming forward, Robinson announced he would be seeking medical leave from his job as MP for the suburban Vancouver riding of Burnaby-Douglas and would not be running again.

Robinson is working for the month of August with the B.C. Government and Service Employees Union in its advocacy department, analyzing contracts and presenting cases to arbitrators.

Sorry CFL, but first time offence, property crime, upstanding citizen, expressed remorse.  Not even close to jail time for anyone.
If people only knew how much it actually takes to get time. Where I worked before we figured approx. 10 convictions before we would see them, and thats provincial-medium.

It's reasonable.  It remains to see whether Joe Habitually Law-Abiding Average could get the same consideration.

So an MP, who is a representative of the Government, who is supposed to be a law MAKER, becomes a law BREAKER, and doesn't do time?

Isn't that kind of like the CDS violating the Defence Act (in a major way), or a School Principal smoking in the boys room?

Legislators should be held to a higher standard.

Oh, and don't forget, there was an RCMP investigation into the theft that started 3 days before Svend came forward........hmmmmmmm....did Svend know that? Perhaps he came forward as a result of hearing about the investigation....makes his 'apology' mean a little less, if it's true.

Just thoughts

A couple of things here.  First, he "turned himself in" several days after the incident.  Secondly, the auction house had already turned the video tape into the police.  I have a theory here.  I think someone probably told him that he was going to be arrested and that the best plan was to turn himself in.  Any good lawyer is also going to suggest going on TV and crying and blaming stress etc.  The whole "pocketing" angle versus the reality which was that he stole the ring really worked for him as well.  I'm sorry, but I think he got off WAY too easily.  Obviously, his professional image wasn't hurt too much as he already has a new job (while collecting sick pay by the way).  If I would have "pocketed" that ring, I doubt very much I would be sitting here typing this right now.

CFL said:
What's his new job?

Working for Stephen Harper and the Conservatives    ;D ...

In all seriousness, hes now working for the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union

The union says he will work in its advocacy department, analysing contracts and presenting cases to arbitrators to help resolve a backlog of grievances by union members.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Sorry CFL, but first time offence, property crime, upstanding citizen, expressed remorse.  Not even close to jail time for anyone.
If people only knew how much it actually takes to get time. Where I worked before we figured approx. 10 convictions before we would see them, and thats provincial-medium.

Wow.  I had no idea that was the case. 

Is it also normal for first time offenders for an incident like this to get away without a criminal record?  Thats the thing I don't particularly like.  I don't care if he gets time, community service is good enough, but I think it should be put on his record.

It's pretty normal if the judge doesn't think the person will re-offend, etc. and in this case don't worry the media will keep it on their records forever.
Someone mentioned earlier that they went easier because he's famous, well usually that works against a person because then someone is actually paying attention to our sentences. Remember if Karla wasn't always plastered on the Sun every year when she applies for parole, she would have been out 8 years ago and living next door to you.

Back