• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best University Degree for Light Infantry Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreaterGood

Inactive
Reaction score
I am brand new to all of this. Have spent a great deal searching and reading posts. Find this site to be the best source of finding the answers i had. I don't know if this has been asked already if it has please forgive me. I am still learning how to efficiently navigate through this site.

I would like to become a Light Infantry Officer and am about to enroll in University. What would be, if there could be, the best type of degree to have that will help me in my Military Career as an Infantry Officer?

As a leader, i would have to lean towards Psychology but without sounding overconfident of myself, i have leadership skills deeply instilled inside me and have had managerial positions in civilian jobs throughout out my life. I am 28 years old, own my own business and am a Licensed Automotive Collision Repair Tech with a Red Seal inter-provincial Certificate. Have been owning and operating my own business for 4 years, prior to that have held managerial level positions in different industries not realted to my current one. Career change time for me as I'm willing to give everything up to join the Military.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, and criticism for redundant post will be duly noted. Hope i haven't wasted anyone's time. Thank you

Thx for the help

From a technical standpoint, it doesn't really matter.  As an infantry officer, the most important thing is that you are able to get up, look your subordinates in the eye, and say "follow me".

From a professional standpoint, I'd offer that an Arts degree is generally useful, but that something oriented towards History/Political science is closer to the essential elements of a professional military education (one thing we don't really impose on our professional body).  Learning how to look at history objectively, to analyze previous conflicts at various levels, and to understand the role of war as an extention of politics won't turn you into a better platoon commander, but it may give you more tools within your profession.  Again, I say this as a generality, as the military profession is really an interdisciplinary one.

Psych Majors were always the type of girls to stay away from in university.  They firstly liked to psychoanalyze you and secondly were usually a few bricks short of a load.  Even a blonde would be a better choice.

As Infanteer says, any Degree is good.  Having a Degree only states that you have achieved the standard required at your university.  It has no bearing on your skills as a leader.  Those will be determined at the Combat Arms School.

George Wallace said:
Psych Majors were always the type of girls to stay away from in university.  They firstly liked to psychoanalyze you and secondly were usually a few bricks short of a load.  Even a blonde would be a better choice.

Come on George, you mean you didn't learn to just tell them what they want to hear?

As stated, any degree would work; however, if I could go back, instead of my German/Philosophy degree, I would get a degree in French.  That way, you would get EEE as a language profile, and not have to worry about the bullshit of doing language training when you could instead do relevant military training.

George Wallace said:
Psych Majors were always the type of girls to stay away from in university.  They firstly liked to psychoanalyze you.....
Are you saying you have.....issues....you'd rather keep hidden?  :whistle:

GreaterGood said:
I am brand new to all of this. Have spent a great deal searching and reading posts. Find this site to be the best source of finding the answers i had. I don't know if this has been asked already if it has please forgive me. I am still learning how to efficiently navigate through this site.

I would like to become a Light Infantry Officer and am about to enroll in University. What would be, if there could be, the best type of degree to have that will help me in my Military Career as an Infantry Officer?

As a leader, i would have to lean towards Psychology but without sounding overconfident of myself, i have leadership skills deeply instilled inside me and have had managerial positions in civilian jobs throughout out my life. I am 28 years old, own my own business and am a Licensed Automotive Collision Repair Tech with a Red Seal inter-provincial Certificate. Have been owning and operating my own business for 4 years, prior to that have held managerial level positions in different industries not realted to my current one. Career change time for me as I'm willing to give everything up to join the Military.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, and criticism for redundant post will be duly noted. Hope i haven't wasted anyone's time. Thank you

Engineering... so that when your knees/back/shoulders etc give out you can proceed directly to a career that will pay you a fortune for just sitting on your butt and pontificating  ;D

Seriously, there's no 'ideal' degree. Do the best at what you're most interested in, and don't settle for an arts degree if you're smarter than guys like me (The BA motto: would you like fries with that Sir?).

GreaterGood said:

Physics, of course. That way you can look at the mystery of why there is mass in the universe....

Technoviking said:
As stated, any degree would work; however, if I could go back, instead of my German/Philosophy degree, I would get a degree in French.  That way, you would get EEE as a language profile, and not have to worry about the bullshit of doing language training when you could instead do relevant military training.

This is by far the best advice I have seen from anyone on this topic. People who come into the CF already bilingual are at a massive advantage.

daftandbarmy said:
Engineering... so that when your knees/back/shoulders etc give out you can proceed directly to a career that will pay you a fortune for just sitting on your butt and pontificating  ;D

I'm still waiting for my fortune. :tempertantrum:

Space science of course, so when the CF adds the Canadian Space Marine Corps, you will be able to combine Infantry skills and space science skills to become an officer there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back