• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being searched/patted-down every time I enter the recruiting office

I've only been into one recently, a few months ago, looking for some information. I was just passing by and thought I'd drop in to get some up to date info for a friend's kid.

It was kind of like locking in and out of a correctional facility, with a 'stab vest equipped' security guard at the front door talking you through the entry procedures through a glass cage, although a physical search wasn't involved.

I hung around for about 15 minutes, while being largely ignored, so left empty handed as I had a meeting to get to.

If I'd had no previous experience with the military, which I do, I would not be looking forward to going back.
I think in part because you were only looking for some information, and not for anything like a CFAT or medical or interview, that was why you were largely ignored as you say. Most of the basic information for the CAF is on their website, and there are forums like this for more information from active members as well as former members of the CAF.

Also the CFRC Toronto is in a highly populated, well-known city and thus the risk of attack from radicalized, aggressive, or discomfited individuals is higher than say a CFRC in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, hence the stricter security measures. I'm sure that the CFRC Ottawa has even stricter measures than Toronto, so we ar e by no means the average for high security procedures.

Does any other business do this kind of search except the CAF? I don't think so.

I just assume the CAF implemented it for recruiting centres because 'we're full' ;)
Does the CAF do this search? We have one accusation corroborated only by an account that was subsequently identified by the staff as a stealth spammer. Is it real, or just a juicy enough claim to generate discussion that might draw more people to this thread and the (now removed) spam web link? If it is happening, where is it happening? All CFRC or just one? If a subset, which ones?

Does the CAF do this search? We have one accusation corroborated only by an account that was subsequently identified by the staff as a stealth spammer. Is it real, or just a juicy enough claim to generate discussion that might draw more people to this thread and the (now removed) spam web link? If it is happening, where is it happening? All CFRC or just one? If a subset, which ones?
I would assume any differences between centres are likely threat-based. I'm not sure that the argument that the last incident was seven years ago was very credible. There will always be a risk of a repeat incident. It wouldn't surprise me if some security features have been reintroduced due to what is going on in Isreal. This is purely speculation, I am not aware of what the current security precautions are, and if I was, I wouldn't be sharing them online.

I would assume any differences between centres are likely threat-based. I'm not sure that the argument that the last incident was seven years ago was very credible. There will always be a risk of a repeat incident. It wouldn't surprise me if some security features have been reintroduced due to what is going on in Isreal. This is purely speculation, I am not aware of what the current security precautions are, and if I was, I wouldn't be sharing them online.
I'm not sure if it's specifically regarding what is happening between Palestine and Israel, or any of the other international wars, aggressive actions, and events going on. Sometimes it's based on domestic issues happening.

I'd also like to direct folks to the current Force Protection threat assessment... Here in Halifax, our current FP level is MEDIUM, which means "Hey, there's a GENERAL threat of something happening, but nothing SPECIFIC."

Now, that said, I was at sea when the attacks happened in St. Jean-sur-Richelieu and at the War Memorial in Ottawa, but I remember CFB Halifax and MARLANT issuing orders that members were to not travel to and from work in uniform in order to not make themselves a target. Just because someone is targeted in a different area of our country doesn't mean that there are no sympathizers in your current area.

My GUESS is that there will be a standard security at CFRCs (the commissionaire at the front desk performing a screening) and different locations will have amplified security measures as required (CFRC St. John's may not need to pat folks down, but CFRC Ottawa, during some random political event may have harsher security measures).

Again, this is only my guess.

Back