• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being called back to duty after contract expires..

MynerC

Inactive
Reaction score
Is it possible to be called back to active duty after you have released, contract expired etc

There does not appear to be any specific allowances for that currently in the National Defence Act or Queen's Regulations and Orders, so before it could happen there will have to be some serious changes made to the law and regulations governing the CF.

You're not going to get a phone call six months after you release telling you you're on your way to Darfur.

(I stand to be corrected, but I don't think I missed anything.)

There's always the supplementary reserve but you have to opt-in to that and I don't think it's ever been activated.

jeffb said:
There's always the supplementary reserve but you have to opt-in to that and I don't think it's ever been activated.

If you are in the Supp Reserve, then you have not released from the CF. In fact, joining the Supp Reserve is declaring your readiness for just that sort of reactivation as needed.

I might be totaly off here, but I seem to remember that there was a one Year from the time you release that the CF can recall you.

GD said:
I might be totaly off here, but I seem to remember that there was a one Year from the time you release that the CF can recall you.

I gave the links for the NDA and QR&O above, find the basis for it if you believe it might be true. Vague anecdotal inferences do not support rational discussion, there are many things said in classrooms, parade squares and messes that become "I seem to recall" remarks passed on ad infinitum, without anyone actually establishing if they are really true.

GD said:

Could this be a misinterpretation of what's on the Enrollment Form (CF 444)?

I, THE APPLICANT... 2. acknowledge that I have been advised that although I will serve in the Canadian Forces for a term of service as in (1) above, if that term of service expires or I reach retirement age during an emergency or when I am on active service or within one year thereafter, I may be required to continue to service until the expiration of one year after the emergency has ceased to exist or I have ceased to be on active service, as the case may be.

This passage means that you can be required to continue to serve for up to one year after an emergency or active service. It does not mention being recalled to service after a release.

For clarity, Active Service is described in the National Defence Act as follows:

Active Service

Placing forces on active service

31. (1) The Governor in Council may place the Canadian Forces or any component, unit or other element thereof or any officer or non-commissioned member thereof on active service anywhere in or beyond Canada at any time when it appears advisable to do so
(a) by reason of an emergency, for the defence of Canada;
(b) in consequence of any action undertaken by Canada under the United Nations Charter; or
(c) in consequence of any action undertaken by Canada under the North Atlantic Treaty, the North American Aerospace Defence Command Agreement or any other similar instrument to which Canada is a party.

When officers and non-commissioned members deemed on active service

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member who
(a) is a member of, serving with, or attached or seconded to, a component, unit or other element of the Canadian Forces that has been placed on active service,
(b) has been placed on active service, or
(c) pursuant to law has been attached or seconded to a portion of a force that has been placed on active service,
shall be deemed to be on active service for all purposes.

R.S., 1985, c. N-5, s. 31; R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 60; 2004, c. 15, s. 76.

Proclamation for meeting of Parliament

32. Whenever the Governor in Council places the Canadian Forces or any component or unit thereof on active service, if Parliament is then separated by an adjournment or prorogation that will not expire within ten days, a proclamation shall be issued for the meeting of Parliament within ten days, and Parliament shall accordingly meet and sit on the day appointed by the proclamation, and shall continue to sit and act in like manner as if it had stood adjourned or prorogued to the same day.

R.S., c. N-4, s. 32.

Back