• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Para 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
arnie_jumper said:
I know getting a higher education can only be better but i am not truely interested in anyhting else but the military as a career.
thanks for your opinion.

You say that now, but I would say that almost every guy who joins says that at first (pension, pay, easy girls, shooting guns with your friends - what's not to like?)

But after 3 years, when that BE is up, 60% plus of them are leaving - why? They had no idea what the army was like before they joined. You don't either. You may think you know, but the truth is, none of us did, so stack your deck in your own favour, and stay in school.

Story:

Another young guy I know wanted to quit school at Gr.10, get a parental waiver, and join right away. I convinced him to stay in school, and join a reserve unit. He did and he hated it. He thought the Army was about the most ridiculous thing on god's green earth - which was strange, because he thought he would love it 8 weeks earlier. He had been a cadet, and talked to lots of people, and thought he had done his homework. He also thanked me (a year later) for telling him to stay at school. If he had quit, and joined the army, he would be doing a job he hated, with nothing to fall back on.

The army cannot help you escape from anything, it cannot change who you are, it is just a job with a tendency to move you around and provide you with life altering experiences.  ;)

GO!!! said:
You say that now, but I would say that almost every guy who joins says that at first (pension, pay, easy girls, shooting guns with your friends - what's not to like?)

But after 3 years, when that BE is up, 60% plus of them are leaving - why? They had no idea what the army was like before they joined. You don't either. You may think you know, but the truth is, none of us did, so stack your deck in your own favour, and stay in school.

Story:

Another young guy I know wanted to quit school at Gr.10, get a parental waiver, and join right away. I convinced him to stay in school, and join a reserve unit. He did and he hated it. He thought the Army was about the most ridiculous thing on god's green earth - which was strange, because he thought he would love it 8 weeks earlier. He had been a cadet, and talked to lots of people, and thought he had done his homework. He also thanked me (a year later) for telling him to stay at school. If he had quit, and joined the army, he would be doing a job he hated, with nothing to fall back on.

The army cannot help you escape from anything, it cannot change who you are, it is just a job with a tendency to move you around and provide you with life altering experiences.  ;)

Thanks i really appreciate it. I herd you can pay your university through the military but every 2 years of serves or something equals to 1 year of university. I really would like to get in to hybred vehicles.

arnie_jumper said:
Thanks i really appreciate it. I herd you can pay your university through the military but every 2 years of serves or something equals to 1 year of university. I really would like to get in to hybred vehicles.

Go find whoever told you that and slap them. The military only re-imburses you for classes you take in your spare time, if you pass. It is a common fallacy that the CF will help you with your education if you are not an officer. You have to work for all of it, and then jump through hoops for the re-imbursement too. Some of your supervisors will even work against you if they find out you are going to school on the side.

Going to school once you are in the army is extremely difficult (I know, I'm doing it) and it all  must be done in addition to your regular duties.

threadjacked.gif

Completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back