• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic, MOC, and family... I have questions that I would love some help with.

Hastings

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

It is March 9th and I am almost done my application.  I have passed all tests and interviews with flying colours and am just waiting on an FBI security check for a period of time I lived in the US.  I am applying as an Inf O, Eng O, or Armour O through the CEOTP.  Hopefully everything will come together and be in Borden come April 1st.

I have a wife and a 6 month old son and am wondering what we can expect as a family once I get my offer from the CF. 

If my wife has family in New Brunswick and has also been accepted into a school in Fredericton what are the chances of me being able to make a case to be stationed in Gagetown?  I understand that I am stationed where I am needed first and foremost, but how "generous" is the CF when it comes to trying to accommodate a families needs?

For the Inf occupation, what is training like after basic?  Will I be able to see my family on daily basis? Will I be able to stay with them in the evenings/ only on weekends/ less?

I am hoping, as per my first question, that I will be stationed in Gagetown.  For anyone stationed there is it possible to live in Fredericton and commute?  If so, is that lifestyle possible during MOC training?

Regarding CEOTP selection, I've seen other posts on this saying that there is only a selection done once or twice a year?  Is this actually the case?  I was under the impression that new numbers for CEOTP openings came at the beginning of the new fiscal year (April 1st) and that it was first come first serve based on your suitability.  Can anyone clarify the CEOTP selection process?

Thank you

Wow, these are really incredible time here at army.ca !!

First we have had our first ever "i want to be a pilot but i have no experience" question and now, we have our first ever "whats life going to be like as an officer - whats training like-can my family move-can i get posted to gagetown" question. I'm sure glad the upcoming answers willbe recorded here so that later on people can search the site and have their questions answered.

"may you live in interesting times" indeed

[/sarcasm]
:)

CDN Aviator said:
Wow, these are really incredible time here at army.ca !!

First we have had our first ever "i want to be a pilot but i have no experience" question and now, we have our first ever "whats life going to be like as an officer - whats training like-can my family move-can i get posted to gagetown" question. I'm sure glad the upcoming answers willbe recorded here so that later on people can search the site and have their questions answered.

"may you live in interesting times" indeed

[/sarcasm]
:)
What a time, indeed. Your response wasn't constructive at all to the questions asked. :)

Ahem ... if I may translate for CDN Aviator...

I believe what he was trying to say was "Use the search function and all shall be revealed."

You'll have to forgive him, he's an arsehole, but he's OUR arsehole.  :nod:

RCR Grunt said:
Ahem ... if I may translate for CDN Aviator...

I believe what he was trying to say was "Use the search function and all shall be revealed."

You'll have to forgive him, he's an arsehole, but he's OUR arsehole.  :nod:

Can we trade him up for a good set of marbles?

Nauticus said:
What a time, indeed. Your response wasn't constructive at all to the questions asked. :)

Don't mind CDN Avaitor, he is a crusty SNCO.

Besides questions like this have been asked and answered ad nauseam

Nauticus said:

This wasn't as helpful as RCR Grunt's post.

Basically ........... Yes

Yes, you can, if you get accepted and make it through your training, ask to get Posted to Gagetown.  Yes, you can commute, once you have finished your Training.
Yes, you could have found all these answers if you had used the SEARCH function.

I'm kinda like H. Stern....

People who like what i have to say keep reading to see what i'll say next. People who dont like what i have to say keep reading to see what i'll say next.

George Wallace said:
This wasn't as helpful as RCR Grunt's post.

Basically ........... Yes

Yes, you can, if you get accepted and make it through your training, ask to get Posted to Gagetown.  Yes, you can commute, once you have finished your Training.
Yes, you could have found all these answers if you had used the SEARCH function.

This needs to be reply #2, the others don't relate.

Well....

I appreciate the suggestion to use the search function.  I apologize seems like I touched on some peoples pet peeves.

I asked the question because I wanted to rapidly tap into the knowledge base here at army.ca and get some helpful encouraging answers that I knew applied to my questions.  Being a new father, a husband, working, and trying to bone up on my second language skills doesn't leave me all the time in the world to sludge through an archaic search tool.  I had hoped for some expediency by asking my question, but would have been better off going into to the CFRC to see my recruitment officer.

Again sorry for being repetitive, and thank you to the people who did/ and hopefully will answer my questions to some extent. 

Hastings said:
  Being a new father, a husband, working, and trying to bone up on my second language skills doesn't leave me all the time in the world to sludge through an archaic search tool. 

We're all busy these days. I have a pretty busy flying schedule, its PER season, i have cadet tours to run and i'm a single father. Point is, do a search, read the information you find and narrow down the gap where you still dont have information. We can fill in the blanks from there. Questions that are broad like " whats training like" requires a 10 page answer that no one wants to type a second time. If you are more specific about what you want to know ( a search will turn up details you have not even thoguht of yet) most of us have 5 minutes to answer vice the hour it would take to type out 10 pages.

Hastings,

Pretty much all the info you are asking is here, as stated.  I'll add a few small points:

1.  You can ask for a posting to Gagetown, but if the need is greater elsewhere, you may not get it.  2 RCR (Infantry Battalion) is located in Gagetown, along with 4 ESR (Engineer Support Regiment), and the CTC Armour School, but there are also units of this kind in Edmonton, Petawawa and Valcartier as well.  You can ask, you may not receive.  Nuff said.

2.  I PMd a buddy who is a Cmbt Arms Officer currently posted to Gagetown to take a look at this thread and see if he can give you some info.

3.  To my knowledge, you are required to live-in (quarters on the base) during your MOC trng (CAP, etc).  The initial trg is VERY busy and time consuming.  A 'weekend off' is usually a 'weekend not in the field, getting ready for the next week in the field' if you follow me.  Kit to get ready, rest, recovery, there is a list of things to do.  Thats IF you get the weekend off.

Good luck.

Eye In The Sky

Thanks for your reply, and I appreciate you asking your friend in Gagetown to take a look! 

During CAP and MOC training can I live on base with my family? Or should I just plan on being away from them for this period as well?

Im just really trying to find out what my wife should be expecting of me for this period, as far as my involvement with the family.

Thanks Stan

In the Armd School you would be looked at by your OC.  CAP is an Inf run course so its all up to them.  Once you got to the School it may be considered to let you live off, but I would suggest that being POSTED to the School is unlikely.  It is a training facility and once you are done here you want to get to work at your Regiment.  If you are one of the few that are kept back for C Sqn over with the RCR, well...lets say they kept one last year and he was the cream of the crop. 

If your wife were to move to NB and you get posted there is IR, but I suspect thats not what you want.  But do we ever get whet we want. 

Course wise it will be up to your Sqn again.  Weekends...after CAP, you could go out and enjoy life if the Sqn lets you.  You see the trend here I am sure.  There are all sorts of issues at the School, meaning pers...I am not going into any detail, but everyone has a story.  Your GOAL should be to get trained and get out.  Go to your Regiment - Thats where LIFE is. 

More....

I wouldn't MOVE until you are Authorized....check your posting message.  Once you are trained you could move to the Q's or Freddy if you so choose.  Or in between.  If your wife was moving anyways for school it would probably be at your own expense, but once you are trainined and posted there are options.  I am no pro on this, but you should approach your CoC once you get an offer and see what options are out there.  As a RAW recruit I would not get your hopes up right away. 

Back