• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AVS or ATIS

nick26

Inactive
Reaction score
Could some one recommend which is good trade (AVS or ATIS).
i researched both trade and live them equally but cant make uo my mind.
which is good for getting preferred posting?
good for moving up the rank?
good trade for person whose family lives in Toronto?

Thanks

nick26 said:

This may help you decide,

Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+avs&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=YrHWWp7QF6WFX8u2htAK&gws_rd=ssl

Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technician ( ATIS )
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=srHWWum-J-iqggehor7IDw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+atis&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+atis&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.77360.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.zRoDAaAPHco

nick26 said:
i researched both trade and live them equally but cant make uo my mind.
which is good for getting preferred posting?
good for moving up the rank?
good trade for person whose family lives in Toronto?

Thanks

Hey Nick,

AVS fix electronics on aircraft and ATIS maintain navigational aids and equipment on the ground in addition to computer and network servicing.

Both trades are good although I would say that AVS is more "Airforce" in that you will primarily be working in an air unit whereas ATIS Techs can work on a wing or with army units (if you like camping).

I am not 100% sure of all the places an ATIS Tech can be posted but I know the majority of the training is done in Kingston, Ontario and that most of the AVS trg is done at CFB Borden (hour and a bit north of Toronto). As far as postings for AVS, the closest you will get to Toronto will be CFB Borden, and next closest is CFB Trenton which is probably more likely as it is a bigger base for technicians.

Both trades have good opportunities for advancement and deployment, although ATIS Techs have far more out of Canada postings, which is nice.

I honestly don't think you would go wrong either way but I may be a bit biased due to the fact that I am an AVS Tech, that being said I think AVS is the better trade :)

I am a retired AVS tech. During my career I worked on SAR aircraft, CF-104, CF-101 and taught POET. As an aviation enthusiast I remustered to AVS from another aircraft trade and enjoyed most of my career. I found the people in the aviation community and the exposure to the world of military aircraft everything I was hoping for.
I agree entirely with the previous posts comments about the ATIS trade. It is number two of the trades I would chose for all the reasons mentioned.
Good luck with your career choice.

Although I am Army and can't help with a choice, I have been to CFSCE and I will add that both AVS and ATIS Tech go through there.  AVS does the POET course (think advanced electronics) as does ATIS Tech.  Either one you choose, make sure you are up on your math (Grade 12) as that is the test that most fail and get recoursed for.

Back