• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery cannon flips on Highway 400 in Innisfil

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Not a good way to treat the colours

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/artillery-cannon-flips-on-highway-400-in-innisfil-1.2265924

All northbound lanes of Highway 400 have reopened after a military vehicle lost control of a weapon it was towing in Innisfil.
A convoy of military vehicles were travelling along the highway just before noon on Thursday, when one of the vehicles lost a trailer carrying an artillery cannon. As a result, the cannon flipped over near Simcoe Road 89.
OPP closed the highway for several hours, while crews worked on up-righting the cannon. It has since reopened.
It’s unclear what caused the cannon to flip.

No injuries are reported, this is good.

The colours are inverted...who accepted the surrender?  :warstory: 

Oops!

And forgive my ignorance, but what is the story behind equating artillery pieces with the colours? I remember asking this question when I was a reservist but its been 26 years and my memory fails me.

Don't ever lean or rest anything on the guns either.
Colours Section 406 http://www.artillery.net/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/RCA-SOs-Vol-I-sm.pdf

"Ubique" means everywhere. The Artillery have no colors or battle honors. Our colors are our guns bearing the Queens Cypher.

Cheers
Larry

Arty39 said:
Don't ever lean or rest anything on the guns either.
Colours Section 406 http://www.artillery.net/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/RCA-SOs-Vol-I-sm.pdf

Seen. Much appreciated.

A very interesting read overall as well.

Bad news is they just lost an irreplaceable gun, good news is they now have spare parts to fix a couple of other ones.

I remember something like this happening in 1988 on the way down from Victoria to Ft Lewis with 5 Fd Bty (now Regt).  In fact, we didn't even make it to the ferry...dude was tailgating a gun tractor, the gun tractor slammed on the brakes because the rad van in front did the same, the truck went into a 6 wheel lock up and the gun flipped and in doing so, knocked the twit behind him off the road.  Unfortunately for him, the BSM was a Vic City copper - he tried blaming the bad army man in front of him.  The Times-Communist Colonist's lead article the next day had the following quote: "I thought these people were here to defend us, not attack us on the highways".  Such was the start of a crappy 2 weeks in Ft Lewis.  That gun had literally just got back from refurb in Montreal  ::).

MM

Edit for spelling oopie

We (15th FD) rolled one on the Range road coming back into base from firing in Yakima, I think we also rolled a C1 in Ft Lewis around 1978-9

That article isn't clear to me, was the gun being towed, or was it on a trailer and the trailer flipped?

It was being towed

The max towing speed for a C3 is 70km/hr; somehow I doubt they were going that slow on a highway like the 400

Any idea who owned this one? Not that I'm looking to out the unit but I used to be in 7 Tor and drove up to Meaford that way many times.

Also reminds me of an incident a long, long, oh so long, time ago on an exercise in Meaford where, once the main party arrived, we started with a black out drive night deployment which was supposed to go through Five Fingers but instead went down a short road that ended in a dead end amongst a pile of old Kangeroo hulks. The TL pulled up short and so did the troop with the result that three gun barrels ended up in three deuce radiators. Only the fourth gun survived unscathed. (remember the old four gun troops - that should tell you how long ago this was).

;D

:cheers:

Its was a combined 7 Tor & 56 Fd effort, but a 7 Tor gun that flipped

I don't know the cause of this accident, but this certainly isn't the first time a gun has been rolled.
It comes as a surprise to some that the C3 can actually be rolled rather easily, even at low speed

Because the C3 doesn't have service brakes, it can easily get into a trailer sway; something which contributed to this tragic accident
https://army.ca/forums/threads/80827.0.html

Compared to the L5, the C1 was rock solid.

:cheers:

milnews.ca said:
Not, as some cynics have put it, "all over the place"  >:D

Ya, been told that as well. :D

Petard said:
It was being towed

The max towing speed for a C3 is 70km/hr; somehow I doubt they were going that slow on a highway like the 400

Deuce and a half is hard pressed to do much more that 80kph towing a gun. A personal observation from about 8 trips from Red Deer/Edmonton to Shilo

Cheers
Larry

milnews.ca said:
Not, as some cynics have put it, "all over the place"  >:D

We used to say it was a typo and should have read 'Unique". ;D

Larry Strong said:

Deuce and a half is hard pressed to do much more that 80kph towing a gun. A personal observation from about 8 trips from Red Deer/Edmonton to Shilo

Cheers
Larry

I was able to get an ML to do 104 km/h traveling from Halifax to Aldershot.  :nod:

Grant you it had a control office pod on the back and was hauling a welding trailer, and I was going down the long hill on Hwy 101 coming into Avonport.

The long climb in the opposite direction I could have gotten out and walked faster.

Not many hills in Saskatchewan ;) and not even enough breeze to keep you cool with all windows open :)

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:

Cheers
Larry

The old shake and shimmy of the non-directional treads going downa long hill on the highway

Back