• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army vs Air force

zander1976

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I know this this topic has been posted before but seraching for the word army returns the whole forum :(.

The IT career allow people the option of picking either the army, navy or air force. I watched the videos regarding them on forces.ca ( http://www.forces.ca/en/page/navyarmyairforce-68#introduction-0 ) and was wondering about the difference in lifestyle and training.

Army:
1. BMQ
2. SQ ( 10 weeks of solder training )
3. Trade Training

Air:
1. BMQ
2. ????
3. Trade Training

Army requires an additional 10 weeks training. Is there anything like that for air??

The army video shows a rather rough and rugged life while the air forces video starts off with horseback riding, curling, etc... I hate to ask but is the air force really that soft (the career not the people)? The video makes it look like you work at a fitness center with some occasional IT work in between. Is there hand to hand combat training at all in the air force. I realize they fly planes but they don't always stay flying.

Are the videos accurate or does someone have a more accurate description?

Thanks,
Ben

zander1976 said:
Air:
1. BMQ
2. ????
3. Trade Training

??? = Basic Air Environment Qualification. I beleive it is somewhere around a week or 2 long.

I hate to ask but is the air force really that soft?

Gotta do something to pass the time in between flying troops around or bombing people. The folks working and flying in tactical hellicopters and maritime hellicopters may certainly take offense to your "soft " comment. For those of us flying in other roles, operations and life circles around airfields usualy so we dont have to "rough it" so much.

Is there hand to hand combat training at all in the air force.

Not generaly speaking. People tasked to the auxiliary security force of a Wing may receive some of that type of training as well as military police, i dont know.

Central to the Air Force is flying aircraft, maintaining aircraft, operating and maintaining airfields and all the support functions that these things require.

With the exception of Air Force Med Techs and MPs, AFAIK no other Air Force pers take SQ/BMQ(L).  There is no Air Force specific ground combat type course where you will do section attacks, etc. From what I hear from those I know in the Air Force they don't do any sort of Combat Training just the yearly PWT shoot. Also, not all Air Force pers work on Air Fields, etc Met Techs can be posted to RCHA, as well certain purple trades can be posted to Army units.

As well Air Force pers I would assume would get something during work up training for tour, depending on the Organization and position they will be doing on tour. Like PWTs, live fire pairs, etc

Thats just what I've heard/seen from the outside looking in and hearing what guys I know in the Air Force have told me.

What trades are you looking at applying to? That would help people describe the working conditions more accurately.

Hey,

I was just about to post that actually but you got in there before me :)

Comms Research is my first choice but I was also looking down the road at various paths that can be followed in the military.

Ben

If you are Comm Research you will do Soldier Qualification regardless of your element (Army/Navy/AF). There is also a good chance you will be posted for at least a couple of years to 21 EW, which is an army field unit.

That was a surprising twist but definitely solved my problem since I wanted to take SQ. :)

Back