• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army commander vows to issue special order to weed out extremists in the ranks

E.R. Campbell said:
The saying went: "The RCNVR are gentlemen trying to be sailors; the RCNR are sailors trying to gentlemen; and the RCN are neither trying to be both."

My father joined in 1943 when he was 17, and was on active service until 1946. He was in the  RCNVR.

SHADS....Where did it originate?
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/112744.0

As this is another discussion about race relations within the CAF, this may, or may not, be of historical interest.

Here in Canada, No.2 Construction Battalion was, apparently, the only Black unit in the CEF.

My paternal grandfather was in No. 1 Construction Battalion C.E.F.

"At the time, racism was so blatant within the military that when the battalion was formed, Ontario's all-white No. 1 Construction Battalion changed its name to avoid the association with black soldiers.":
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n08a10.html

mariomike said:
My father joined in 1943 when he was 17, and was on active service until 1946. He was in the  RCNVR.

SHADS....Where did it originate?
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/112744.0

As this is another discussion about race relations within the CAF, this may, or may not, be of historical interest.

Here in Canada, No.2 Construction Battalion was, apparently, the only Black unit in the CEF.

My paternal grandfather was in No. 1 Construction Battalion C.E.F.

"At the time, racism was so blatant within the military that when the battalion was formed, Ontario's all-white No. 1 Construction Battalion changed its name to avoid the association with black soldiers.":
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n08a10.html

Would not surprise me in the least. Those Orangemen (Ontario was overrun with them) were a piece of work!

FSTO said:
Would not surprise me in the least. Those Orangemen (Ontario was overrun with them) were a piece of work!

My grandfather was Catholic. I got to know him pretty well. But, not well enough to ask his opinions on race relations in the old C.E.F.  :)

I could be wrong, but my read is that this initiative is to target members who are a part of extremist groups (The Base, Atomwaffen Division, 3%’ers, Soldiers of Odin, Proud Boys, etc. ) and hope to use their training in committing violence or to spread misinformation online for the purposes of radicalization, not the personal thoughts and feelings of members. Please let me know if I am wrong.

RangerRay said:
I could be wrong, but my read is that this initiative is to target members who are a part of extremist groups (The Base, Atomwaffen Division, 3%’ers, Soldiers of Odin, Proud Boys, etc. ) and hope to use their training in committing violence or to spread misinformation online for the purposes of radicalization, not the personal thoughts and feelings of members. Please let me know if I am wrong.

If it is, that's a genuine security issue that usually falls under a policing/security agency. That kind of thing requires warrants and similar criminal investigation tools to look into individuals. Also, fully covered under everything we already have in place.

Sure, make people aware that it's not going to be tolerated, but if you want an initiative for that you would probably need some kind of additional resources/taskforce on the law enforcement side to investigate it, not a couple of ivory tower sociologists. I'm all for turfing people if they are part of extremist groups and joined with that intent, but really have no tolerance for PR type exercises that just tick a box instead. Depending on the roll out, it could be really patronizing and just piss people off, instead of sparking any kind of meaningful change.

[quote author=FJAG]

In those circumstances where the speaker didn't mean it (and in many cases he did or at least is expressing his true feelings about that class) it inevitably is as a result of the fact that the speaker intends to draw attention to himself and be accepted into the group to whom he is speaking or to subtly raise his standing amongst his peers at the expense of the maligned group. We make jokes to entertain and impress our peers so as to be popular amongst them. While far from exclusively so (consider for example gossiping), it's a particularly male, trait.
[/quote]

I've never heard it explained this way, really eye opening.

Interesting observations about this, the 'Third Wave', of anti-racism:

The Virtue Signalers Won’t Change the World

Third-wave anti-racism makes sense, and fits into the longer struggle, but it’s a dead end.

"Social concern and activism must not cease, but proceed minus the religious aspect they have taken on. One can be fervently dedicated to improving the lot of black Americans without a purse-lipped, prosecutorial culture dedicated more to virtue signaling than to changing other people’s lives."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/why-third-wave-anti-racism-dead-end/578764/

Jarnhamar said:
I've never heard it explained this way, really eye opening.
It in essence becomes the culture and accepted to the point that any weak attempt to change behaviour is scorned ("he didn't mean it or he is a good old boy" kinda thing) or ridiculed as going to far. At the end of the day if you wouldn't say it to your mother or in polite company than it is better left unsaid. 

The way to fix it is to change the culture and that always comes with sticker shock especially when the "new rules" disallow that which was tacitly allowed before

MJP said:
It in essence becomes the culture and accepted to the point that any weak attempt to change behaviour is scorned ("he didn't mean it or he is a good old boy" kinda thing) or ridiculed as going to far. At the end of the day if you wouldn't say it to your mother or in polite company than it is better left unsaid. 

The way to fix it is to change the culture and that always comes with sticker shock especially when the "new rules" disallow that which was tacitly allowed before

The other way to ‘fix it’ is to get away from it. Leave.

High turnover is a good indicator of a leader who needs to be examined a little more closely.

Umm... what?

Edit....this was in response to the post above that Staff edited out. It was more then a justified WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've faced a fair bit, and I think the dichotomy between non-racist and anti-racist is what allows a lot of the attitudes, and social norms to persist; as someone else mentioned.

One of the biggest issues is trying to fix one problem leads to another group thinking they're being discriminated against. I'd quote Kendi (or DiAngelo) here but I'm not sure how well that'd be recieved, also Hello. :)

Umm... what?

Edit....this was in response to the post above that Staff edited out. It was more then a justified WTF?
It's a choice, and I see alot of good people make it e.g., "my boss/ organization is awful so I refuse to suffer anymore and I will move on to another job."

Organizations that put up with bad bosses/ culture should be fixed, in some way, and high turnover (one good indicator of bad leadership) should not be tolerated. Here's some good advice on how to stop that from happening:

People Don’t Leave Bad Jobs, They Leave Bad Bosses: Here’s How To Be A Better Manager To Maintain And Motivate Your Team

It's a choice, and I see alot of good people make it e.g., "my boss/ organization is awful so I refuse to suffer anymore and I will move on to another job."

Organizations that put up with bad bosses/ culture should be fixed, in some way, and high turnover (one good indicator of bad leadership) should not be tolerated. Here's some good advice on how to stop that from happening:

People Don’t Leave Bad Jobs, They Leave Bad Bosses: Here’s How To Be A Better Manager To Maintain And Motivate Your Team

Sorry my post had nothing to do with yours. Someone posted some non sensical word vomit after you and that's what I was replying to.

Back