• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic warfare?

delta24

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone out there who has been in the high arctic knows the relentlessness of the freezing cold and its effects on the mind. For instance, the desolation of seeing nothing for hudreds of miles and knowing that out their is nothing but all you see in front of yourself. Then there is the isolation, you may not think you're isolated in the cold frost but when that night sky fall on you for the few hours it does at times you begin to realise just how alone you are out there and that you cannot get out of it on your own because you need the collective thinking of all the minds that you're with because out there only death awaits you in the blistering and howling cold of night. I know this because I've been there before and not with the military, I've ventured to the cold depths of the frost bitten arctic with just one friend and if you think the cold bays of San Clement Island are cold then you obviously have net felt cold once in you're life. Out there is the ultimate basis training, its do or die and it take the greatest amount od courage, discipline and determination to survive when it is just you and nature because nature is more unforgiving and heartless then any person or thing on this planet.
Do you think the CF has the capabilities to operate efficiently and effectively in the high arctic? It takes great skill to survive out there and from my perspective there are only two entities in Canada that can operate efficiently and effectively in that environment and one is a military entity. They are the Inuit and then there is the Canadian Rangers. Any questions? 

Your description is quite poetic.  It goes without saying northern aboriginal groups and particularly the
Inuit are able to live well in the arctic regions.  The CF including the Canadian Rangers, in fixed locations and
mobile, can operate well in arctic conditions.  There are southerners with acquired skill and perseverance that
have lived or travelled in the north.  Agreed the arctic deprives or extends the human senses of typical stimuli; the
quietness, the unchanging landscape, dark and light, the perceptions of distance and time.  People often react differenly
over time.  However, theres usually lots to do.  The geology of the region is fascinating.

All poetics aside, what are you trying to say?

I have been to the High Arctic, as have many others on this forum.  We have gone up there as part of CF Sovereignty Exercises.  We have done seven day long range patrols, three day patrols, and other familiarization training with the Inuit and Rangers.

As part of RCD Recce Sqn, we were in the north end of Baffin Island, working out of Pond Inlet one December. 

I seem to be missing your point.

delta24 said:
Anyone out there who has been in the high arctic ............................................Canadian Rangers.

Any questions?

Yeah. What's your point? You show up out of no where babbling like the proverbial brook, stealing another two minutes of my life, when you could've reduced the whole thing to what you stated in the last paragraph.

And yeah, type CF is more than capable of operating in the arctic. We may not particularly care to, but we can and do. Robert Service is our hero and Sam Magee is our mascot.

recceguy said:
Yeah. What's your point? You show up out of no where babbling like the proverbial brook, stealing another two minutes of my life,

:rofl:

Back