• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Apache helicopters on the cusp of replacing Tigers

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
The Australian Army has had issues with their Tiger ARH helicopters for years.

The government is on the cusp of spending $4.5 billion to buy 29 American-made Apache gunship helicopters – a deal which would cost hundreds of highly skills jobs including many in Queensland.

Sky News understands a recommendation will be put to the National Security Committee to retire the European-made Tiger helicopters years earlier and replace them with Apaches.

The government purchased the European-made Tiger helicopters in 2001 for $1.1 billion.

The commander in charge of the Tigers said in 2018 they had “proven reliability” and “proven performance” and could stay in service until 2040.

A letter signed by Germany, France and Spain, whose defence forces use the Tiger helicopters, urged Australia not to replace them.

“The Tiger is a sophisticated and highly effective combat system,” they said.

“It has been operational in our Armed Forces for several years.

“We encourage the retention of the Tiger.”

Defence Minister Linda Reynolds said a decision would be made later this year.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6194298075001

my understanding is the Tiger has a fair number of issues, chiefly it is my understanding that the supply chain is having issues getting spare parts to Australia in any reasonable amount of time for a decent cost. The USA is much closer so I am guessing the supply chain could be cheaper to maintain, especially if they can get deals for some parts to be made locally.

"In" before anyone says "Canada should get the Apache"... :rofl:

MilEME09 said:
my understanding is the Tiger has a fair number of issues, chiefly it is my understanding that the supply chain is having issues getting spare parts to Australia in any reasonable amount of time for a decent cost. The USA is much closer so I am guessing the supply chain could be cheaper to maintain, especially if they can get deals for some parts to be made locally.

This I heard of and I agree. I think the growth of a the Australian defence industry and defence budget, it makes sense to buy something with alittle more local industry involved - over spending money to upgrade something with less industry.

Find it funny how the other Tiger countries asked them to keep the Tigers for purely monetary upkeep means. I'm sure this will really hit the aircrafts future outlook in europe.

Pretty pathetic that after all these years of having them, Airbus still hasn't figured out a streamlined way to get adequate spare parts to a customer.

The world isn't that big anymore...

Apaches would not only be a very solid replacement, but I imagine Boeing would fix the availability/spare parts issue.  If Airbus wants to be competitive in that particular market (Attack helicopters) - surely this is a lesson learned, long overdue.

LoboCanada said:
Find it funny how the other Tiger countries asked them to keep the Tigers for purely monetary upkeep means. I'm sure this will really hit the aircrafts future outlook in europe.

Self-centered on their part. If Australia bails, they’ll each end up paying more share of the Tiger program’s overall ISS costs.

Yes, T6.  Love the Brits and names...instead of ‘Longbow’, the Brits called their Apaches’ fire control radar ‘Brimstone.’

Yup, the Brit Apaches bring ‘Hellfire and Brimstone’ to the fight. :nod:

Thanks G2G. Maybe the Australians will go with the Apache.

tomahawk6 said:
Thanks G2G. Maybe the Australians will go with the Apache.

With either the Apache or Venom, they’re tired of the Tiger.

Might as well go with combat proven gunships with ready spare parts.

The Commonwealth still calls it an Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH). 😉

Back