• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ANZAC Day 25 April 2004

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, 25 Apr, another ANZAC Day for us down here. Hard to believe as its my last one in Sydney, as I am posted to Brisbane in early 05.

I trust most of you have heard of it, and know what its all about for its 89 yrs ago tomorrow morning that the legend of ANZAC was born on the craggy shores of Gallipoli.

Mel Gibson‘s movie ‘Gallipoli‘ was based on an August 1915 battle at a place called The Nek, where a batttlefied the size of a tennis court, was one of the most darkest days for the ANZACs.

Its not really such a somber occasion here, as 11 Nov is back in dear ole Canada, but its a commemeration, its about mateship, and remembering.

The beer flows and its an excellent occasion. It is a day that Australians remember every single war and conflict that they have been involved with.

Let me tell you, the parade down George St, Sydney, is the most patriotic event I have ever watched, and now on my 10th ANZAC Day, I still get shivers up my spin as the Diggers march by from 0900-1230 in a continous parade. Unit after unit. Association after association, band after band.

If you ever get the chance to be in Sydney on 25 Apr, do it. Crowds along the route mass in unbelievable throngs of 400-500,000 people cheering on, and giving thanks for their freedom.

So what am I doing? For starters, got short leave, so dont have to be with the unit. So I‘ll be down at Cronulla RSL (on the beach) for 0415 tomorrow morning (its already going on 2030 here on the 24th) www.cronullarsl.com.au .

I‘ll be in civvies with my RAEME tie, and my CF medals and WW1 medals of my Great Uncle (267104 PTE RF Allen, who was killed at Passchendaele 07 Nov 1917). My GF will have her father‘s medals on as he fought against the Japs during WW2.

A nice thing about the UK, NZ and Australia, is that one can wear a relatives medals (on right side of chest) to prepetuate and honour their loved ones who are either too weak, or have since passed on.

Canada has yet to recognise this, as its still considered a criminal offence (as of 2001 anyways)to wear any medals unless they were awarded to the wearer.

Anyways, then we will catch a free train to the city for the ANZAC march, and make it home later in the day. I‘ll march with the RAEME Assn, and she with her Dad‘s Unit Assn.

This year at ANZAC Cove in Gallipoli, they expect record numbers of Kiwis and Aussies to be there, and sadly the Fed Govt has warned Australians not to go because of the terrorist threat, www.dfat.gov.au so in the spirit of ANZAC those who are going to Gallipoli will not let these gutless cowards hinder their trip. Good on em all for going there.

The ADF has cancelled all leave for ADF personnel who want to go to Gallipoli for security reasons, so some of my friends who planned on attending this year are prohibited from going.

Seen a bumper sticker the other day, and it said "If you can read this thank a teacher. In English, thank the Defence Force". Now thats a bumper sticker!

Anyways, cheers, and goodnight, as 0330 comes early.

Regards,

Wes

That must have changed recently. Because it is no longer an offence Wes. I had a class and the lawyer talked about that specifically,

Thats good, as I was on another website today, and they still said the CC was valid.

This way the torch is passed on to another generation.

Regards,

Wes

Thats interesting. Ill bust out my criminal code. Give me a second.

Yeah its section 419 of the CC. Its says without "lawful authority, the proof of which lies with the accused"

This means that SHOULD you be charged you would have to convince the court you have the authority to do so. Which in the case would be the fact that it was to honor a member of your family. If this was to a special function the court would accept. However should it be to 7-11 it would be determined to be without authority. that was what I was taught anyways,

I just found it too, the ref was in the post. Sec 419 of the Cdn CC. Have a look at www.mapleleafup.org go to forums, the SGTs‘ Mess and look for the post. It explains it all with what the CCC states and Vet Affairs currently has to say too.

Cheers,

Wes

Beat you to it...... I guess it comes down to how you interpret the act.

You must have a cable hook up. I have ADSL, but its still slow. Please have a look at that post on MLU forums. Its an intereting read. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Wes

Hmm that is interesting. The offense though is holding yourself out as having earned them.....

It went well. Over 25,000 soldiers and vets in the march which went from 0830 to 1300, with about 250-300,000 people lining George Street, Sydney. Crowds have been higher in past years.

The police and security forces were well in attendance to prevent ‘martyrs‘ going to paradise.

We were home about 1400 or so, and then went down to Cronulla RSL www.cronullarsl.com.au later on in the arvo for a feed, and then home. A nice hot spa (40C) for a few rums tonight, as it was cool today at 24C, but at 0500, it ws 13C, and now about 16C. Autumn is here, and the European trees are dropping their leaves.

Looks like the PM did a quick visit to Baghdad for our troops there for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service today. I‘ll catch the guff on 10‘s 2230 news.

Cheers,

Wes

Back