• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another Gear Review...CP Ammo, Dump and Frag Pouch

westie47

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, here is yet another gear review of some of the new offerings from CP Gear. I have to give a big acknowledgement out to Matt, he is really turning around CP Gear, bothe by way of their reputation as FMP makers and the quality and innovativeness of their kit. 

Over the last few weeks, Matt has sent me a Lobster Trap dump pouch, Party Crasher Frag pouch and the Stackable Modular Double mag pouch. I finally was able to get out to the range this weekend to do some shooting.

CPPouch1.jpg

Here is a pic of all three pouches. I have two mags with Ranger Plates loaded into the mag pouch, a dummy frag in the grenade pouch and the dump pouch opened up. First things first....the mag pouch.

The mags fit snugly, the lid is adjustable to allow for magpuls or Ranger Plates. The pouch has an elastic wrapped around it on the outside. It also has some PALS sewn onto the front.

CPPouch7.jpg

Here it is with the lid open, the pouch also features a snap for added security while closed. I fired 10 mags off, taking all of the mags from the pouch.  I shot in all different fire positions. I did standing, kneeling, prone, modified prone, etc. I found the mags very easy to get out of the pouch.  They did not hang up at all. There are a few changes/improvements I would make though. The PALS on the front should have a bar tack sewn into it two make two channels as opposed to loose PALS. I didn't like how the elastic retention band was on the outside the pouch, down low. I found it very hard to replace the mags after firing.  The pouch would collapse. here is a pic:

CPPouch3.jpg

I would put the retention up higher and maybe make it internal or with adjustable bungy.  The other area that could be improved would be to add a piece of loop (fuzzy velcro) on the inside of the lid, that way you could open the pouch to make a 'shingle-like' version and keep the lid folded up behind the mags.  here is a pic of the lid folded behind the mags:

CPPouch6.jpg

All in all i am impressed with the pouch, it seems well- built and durable. However only extended use will tell.

Next item....Party Crasher frag pouch.  since I haven't had the oppurtunity yet to use grenades on ex or at the range, all i could do is load up a dummy frag and carry it around. I really like the way the frag fits in the pouch, you don't really have to fight to get it in as you do with the HSGI frag pouch. I lso like the flap covering the whole grenade, this will allow you to mount it upside down as well. It also features a piece of webbing on both sides inside the pouch, this for securing the Safety Lever, securing the grenade even further. Once again, solid construction, very durable.

Lastly, even though i have reviewed the Lobster Trap before, I haven't been able to use it while shooting. I used it for every mag change, in all positions. I really like the pouch, the only change I would make, would be to make it a bit bigger. After three mags, I found it getting hard to throw mags into it. I had to 'fit' the mags in as opposed to 'dump' them in.

Disclaimer: I do not work for CP Gear, have shares in the company or anything like that. I know Matt and he sent me these pouches to try and to get some honest feedback. All in all i am very impressed with their new offerings. I will be buying the MOFOCR when it is ready.  Matt also has some other cool, CF-specific gear coming out as well. Stay tuned. I should have a review of the new medic pouch next week.

Westie47,

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.
Re: The Double Mag Pouch, The points you brought up are all valid. The second production run of Arid pouches have the elastic brought up above the PALS, so as to make re-inserting mags easier.
Velcro on the inside of the flap so as to allow the flap to stick onto itself is a pretty simple fix that I'll incorporate into future production runs.
Also, as per our discussion about the front PALS, I was originally torn between running 2 channels (bartack down the center) so as to allow attaching poches that required that amount of PALS real-estate (frag, smoke, 40mm, etc.), or a pouch that only required a single channel (i.e. pistol mag). The result was the 'double-wide' approach which was a compromise between the two.
I've worked out a way to have a system whereby users can center single channel pouches securely, or mount pouches that require 2 channels in a secure manner which will be incorporated into future runs.

Re: The Lobster Trap Dump Pouch, I think that the issues are primarily due to the internal collar, which, when pressing down on the mags, may tend to make the pouch seem 'full' when loaded with a few mags. Try loosening up the collar a bit and let me know if that helps with the ability to dump the mags in. Otherwise, lets look at doing a larger version.

*note, I just cut and pasted my response from the Canadian Gun Nutz forum, as I first saw Westi47's review over there.

Thermal Underwear- One of my favorite pieces of kit, the top and bottom are both awesome. Ive gone on long patrols or marches and after being completely drenched in sweat, dry again 20 mins later(when wearing breathable outergarments) they help alot on those cold nights when u get back from a patrol and got to take sentry and stay in one place. Theyre great to keep u warm.

hherryjohn said:
Thermal Underwear- One of my favorite pieces of kit, the top and bottom are both awesome. Ive gone on long patrols or marches and after being completely drenched in sweat, dry again 20 mins later(when wearing breathable outergarments) they help alot on those cold nights when u get back from a patrol and got to take sentry and stay in one place. Theyre great to keep u warm.

Are you referring to the CAF issue thermal underwear?

Back