• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged Institutional Racism/solutions in CAF (merged)

T

the patriot

Hello,

Just an observation of things as they currently are within the system regarding Institutional Racism. Nowadays, no one will be stupid enough to go up to someone‘s face and start insulting them with racial epithets or behaviour. Instead, they will make a soldier‘s life miserable by using the system against them. Are there any troops out there that have noticed this happening among their units? Furthermore, the Americans seem to have a better grasp on this. For example, the head of their Army is of Oriental ancestry. I am referring to General Shinseki. He was recently on television awarding decorations to his soldiers on CNN. I have yet to see someone other than an Anglophone or Francophone for that matter be promoted to the Senior Officer or General Ranks within the Canadian Armed Forces. Is this another politically correct commentary?! Not really... Everyone laughs at SHARP untill someone becomes a victim of someone‘s ignorance.

-the patriot- :cdn:

I don‘t go around with my eyes closed, but personally I have‘nt seen it in a long, long time. If you have proof it‘s happening, act like a soldier, step to the line and report it, don‘t complain about it. If your going to try stir that pot here, you‘ll need a bigger stick!

Hey Patriot- got tired of getting kicked around with your FN vs C7 nonsense. :D Recce guy - Hoo Rah!

Well I‘m sure he wasn‘t hired because he has chinese or japanese, he was hired because he could do the job. So if a white francophone or anglophone can do the job than anyone else, they also get it. I‘ve never seen people discriminated against because they‘re a visual minority. The reason there‘s no non-caucasian higher ups in the Canadian military probably because the command reflects the soldiers below them (except on the language issue)and there‘s not many negroes or mongols in the Canadian Forces.

And the fact that they are senior officers, who joined CF when there weren‘t many minorities around.

I owe Patriot an apology. I used to yell at him for posting long articles with no comments of his own. Now that I read what he‘s capable of when he thinks for himself, please let‘s go back to plagiarism. It may be your only hope of looking intelligent.

I‘ve been a reservist for several years now and am visible minority. I‘ll admit that the majority of my comrades are anglo/franco phone but I myself have never experienced any racism, prejudice or anything of the matter. I feel it simply reflects were you live and the people there. I‘m from a smaller town but go visit any unit in say Toronto and you seel a tone of personnel from all walks of life. In fact myself and the few other minorities feel quite proud serving a country that has been so good in welcoming our families we all share a strong comradeship with all the other members of the unit. As for promotions, I am granted the seniority and the respect that goes with it because I have earned it and because my NCOs and officers have the confidence in me that I am capable of leading the newer recruits.

My Michael.... what‘s your opinion on this. Looking intelligent includes taking an issue seriously. I take racism very seriously. Do you have any minorities under your command in the Calgary Highlanders? If any of them felt that they were being systemically violated, how would you treat them?!

Once upon a time, I remember instructors shouting at candidates "SHAKE YOUR HEAD DOPEY! DO YOU HEAR ANYTHING? NO? WELL, I‘M NOT SURPRISED - THERE‘S NOTHING BETWEEN YOUR EARS!!!"

Institutional racism? For Pete‘s sake - give it a rest.
The Army has been self-flagellating itself long enough - let‘s move forwards (in other words, I‘m sick and tired of this " oh so politically correct McCarthyism").

In a good Army, all soldiers and officers will be treated as they deserved to be treated - no more, no less.
Furthermore, if one discovers evidence of racism or any other offence they should report it - to the police, to the Ombudsman, to their superiors, to their mommy ... whatever.
And, if there is no evidence of racism, let‘s get on with life - there are plenty of other problems to be tackled, without resurrecting bogus ones.

Okay? I hope this inane thread will now die a silent death.

SIgn me "Somebody sick and tired of witch hunts".

P.S. Happy Valentine‘s Day

Unfortunately for those who are victimized, it isn‘t "Politically Correct McCarthyism". Granted, I agree, call the police and the ombudsman. Report the behavior. There are those who I know will resort to Reverse Racism. I believe they are completely justified to do so. How else are they to level the playing field with the white majority?!I‘m sorry to say, but the Canadian Military is guilty of systemic practices up and down the chain. For those who take this issue seriously, you may browse the following site.

Ontario Network for Human Rights

"Level the playing field"??? You have some crazy ideas. The white majority does not have an advantage, there is no conspiracy against you. I would hazard to say that a non-white would be given preference in the application process that a white would not. Everyone is treated the same once in, and if they aren‘t, take it up the chain of command. You can‘t be justified in bieng racist against the majority.

PATRIOT - stop sniffing glue, lysol or whatever you have in that paper bag of yours. If you really knew anything about racisim, you would know that you cannot punish people for "the sins of the father".

NO other country in the world bends over backwards to make all cultures "fit in" like Canada does. So zip it or go to whence you came from and try and sell them the same BS you are spearding here - and keep your head attached to your neck. Good Luck!

Originally posted by the patriot:
[qb]Hello,

Just an observation of things as they currently are within the system regarding Institutional Racism. Nowadays, no one will be stupid enough to go up to someone‘s face and start insulting them with racial epithets or behaviour. Instead, they will make a soldier‘s life miserable by using the system against them. Are there any troops out there that have noticed this happening among their units? [/qb]
Are you making accusations or are you bucking for a new job as a sensitive news(and I use that word lightly) reporter? An unfit soldier‘s life will be made miserable no matter what their ethnic background. All this touchy feely crap has gone way overboard.

Hi, I'm planning to join the CF after I graduate from university.  I know this is a stupid question but being Chinese, would I face a lot of racism or be picked on?  I know most of you ain't racist, but racism exists and I was wondering to what extent in CF.  Thanks for the help.

I am of mixed race with my mother being Caucasian and my father being Jamaican.  I am very interested in joining the Canadian Forces Reserves.  I know from personal experience (Toronto and Winnipeg) that Canada is a very diverse country and that people are accepting of each other for the most part.  The main target of racism that I have witnessed in Canada so far is against the Aboriginal peoples.  Has anyone here had any encounter of racial tension in the Canadian Forces?

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/35105/post-276720.html#msg276720

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/315/post-2682.html#msg2682

The search function is your friend.

This month being black history month, and with dnd having these big poster boards in certain building with pictures of black Canadian soldiers dating back from when till the 1990s, but with only 2 pictures of officers ( Capts ). I was wondering if anyone has come across a black CF member of African decent of the rank of LCol and above?

There are many Majs knocking around in the different elements and a few CWOs that I have seen. Also how many black have received the CDS commendation and other non-deployments medals?

It is true that the US does things differently, and I don't think we are going to see a Colin Powell like person here anytime soon. The Toronto police has a black deputy chief of police and Vancouver has a Chief of police that is of Chinese background, which is more than can be said for other cities and provinces

Back