• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
First of all, really good post.

I'm in the same age group as you - I think a lot of us are aware that the risks to ourselves are quite small, even if we contract the virus. That said, I am aware of the greater risk associated with passing it on to older / higher-risk loved ones.

While the article states that the associated disease is no more severe, the fact that the virus is more easily transmissible and is found in a greater number of younger people is concerning.
While I realize that anecdote is not evidence, I just spoke this week to a healthy, physically fit, mid- 20s Sqn member who was just back at work after contracting the Brazilian variant COVID 19. While he was not hospitalized, he related that when he was actively ill, it was the worst three days of his life- he did not care if he lived or died.

if I can avoid catching this- I will.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
I supported 2 subordinates in the same age bracket through their isolation periods with the original Wuhan strain, and they were fairly sick for that same 3 day period. Those studies in the Lancet where of a large survey of positive cases, and showed no statistically significant increase in severity from Wuhan strain to B117. Statistically your Sqn member would have probably felt the exact same regardless of what variant or original strain they got.

Just to avoid a double post, I wanted to circle back to @Mick when we discussed the media coverage and how it's hurting not helping the situation. Although this video is from the US, our media in Canada is inextricably linked to the US so there are some significant parallels. He makes some fantastic points about the politicization of COVID-19, and the hyperbole that is being thrown.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Guys where i used to work are working 64 hours in the last four days. Almost all the calls high acuity Covid.

lenaitch

Reaction score
Guys where i used to work are working 64 hours in the last four days. Almost all the calls high acuity Covid.
I heard an interview today on CBC Radio 'White Coats Black Art' show, where they interviewed a GTA ICU nurse. She said the big problem isn't necessarily beds or ventilators but trained staff. They are pulling in people who haven't worked in critical/acute care for years if at all. ICU staff are handling more patients at a time than they normally would as well as trying to keep families in the loop because they can't visit. After a year of a steady diet of overtime on top of 12-hour shifts, they are fried.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
After a year of a steady diet of overtime on top of 12-hour shifts, they are fried.
We could take the cash, or as many did, bank the lieu at time and a half for use at a later date. I understand that is what some are doing now. Lieu was a good way to prevent burn out.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

Health Minister dodges questions about banning India flights​

Link

33 flights carrying infected passengers arrived in Canada from Delhi so far in April
Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu says she’s confident of this country’s pandemic border protections, even as Canada deals with spikes of infected passengers arriving daily from world hot spots.

And Hajdu remained cool to restricting Canada’s numerous daily flights from COVID-wracked India, where a devastating second wave has coincided with a new “double-mutant” variant.

Only 33 fights with infected passengers in 17 days so far.

lenaitch

Reaction score
We could take the cash, or as many did, bank the lieu at time and a half for use at a later date. I understand that is what some are doing now. Lieu was a good way to prevent burn out.

It would depend on the terms of their MOU. We could bank lieu time but the bank had a year end maximum (can't remember what) with excess paid out. I can't imagine getting lieu time off being very easy for many of them and, after a year plus of this, a big lieu bank would seem like a cruel tease.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Ontario lowering minimum age for AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine to 40 from 55​

Article Link
Shot will be offered at pharmacies, primary care settings starting Tuesday
Samantha Beattie · CBC News · Posted: Apr 18, 2021 7:23 PM ET | Last Updated: 18 minutes ago

virus-outbreak-britain-vaccine.jpg

Ontario will start offering the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine to people 40 years of age and over starting Tuesday, a spokesperson for Health Minister Christine Elliott said. (Alberto Pezzali/The Associated Press)

Ontario will start offering the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine to people 40 years of age and over starting Tuesday.

A spokesperson for Health Minister Christine Elliott said the shot will be offered at pharmacies and primary care settings.

In a statement Sunday, Alexandra Hilkene said the province made the call based on "current supply" of the vaccine.

Before the announcement, the vaccine was only available to people aged 55 and older in Ontario following recommendations from the National Advisory Council on Immunization (NACI) earlier this spring.
On Sunday, however, the federal government said Ontario was free to expand eligibility for the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine to any adult over the age of 18 as some pharmacists warned they had doses sitting idle because of the age restrictions.

"Provinces and territories are free to use AstraZeneca in any population over 18 per Health Canada's license for use in Canada," federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu told reporters.

Before Hadju's comments, Premier Doug Ford's office said it was waiting for a federal decision before expanding AstraZeneca-Oxford eligibility from its current 55 and older age restriction, even as it stressed the need for an urgent increase in vaccine supply.

"While we wait for a federal decision on the lowering of the age limit for AstraZeneca, and in response to the latest cut in Moderna shipments, the premier has begun reaching out to consulates to try and secure more vaccine supply for Ontario from our international allies," Ivana Yelich, Ford's press secretary, said in a statement on Sunday.

"Vaccines are our only way out of this pandemic and the premier will exhaust every avenue he has in order to get more needles into arms of Ontarians sooner."

With files from Sabrina Jonas and Natasha MacDonald-Dupuis

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
No reason to stop its use in the first place, the risk of complications is incredibly low. We've become unable to accept any risk since COVID started, and the members of the medical community who believe we can "stop COVID" AKA no one ever dies from COVID again are part of the problem.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
No reason to stop its use in the first place, the risk of complications is incredibly low. We've become unable to accept any risk since COVID started, and the members of the medical community who believe we can "stop COVID" AKA no one ever dies from COVID again are part of the problem.
Wait what? The original messaging was "flatten the curve", etc. ie. not make it exponentially worse.

Who is talking about stopping Covid?

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
It would depend on the terms of their MOU. We could bank lieu time but the bank had a year end maximum (can't remember what) with excess paid out. I can't imagine getting lieu time off being very easy for many of them and, after a year plus of this, a big lieu bank would seem like a cruel tease.
Right. We could accumulate Lieu Time for Designated Holidays and overtime to a maximum of 96 hours at any time. Those 96 hours were replenishable. But, using your LT was "subject to operational requirements".

As you say, if you can't use your Lieu Time, it really is a cruel tease.

I suppose it's been "all hands on deck" in ICU's , so burnout is likely getting pretty bad heading into this latest Wave.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Wait what? The original messaging was "flatten the curve", etc. ie. not make it exponentially worse.

Who is talking about stopping Covid?
A whole bunch of talking head experts are, and the staunch refusal of anyone in Government/Public Health circles to admit that it's pretty clear COVID-19 is endemic, and has a seasonal curve. I'd put money on cases dropping significantly in June/July/August, only to pick back up again (slowly since that's when we'll actually have vaccines in this country) just like it did last year. Here's some news articles pushing Zero COVID:

Why experts say B.C. should get as close to ‘COVID-zero’ as possible
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2021-canadian-shield-covid-approach-1.5859101
Canada Is One Big Pandemic Response Experiment. It Proves ‘Zero COVID’ Is Best | The Tyee
‘Covid-zero’ is an idea gaining momentum. Could it work in Canada?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
The Tyee has spoken....

Canada’s Crazy Pandemic Response​

As the third wave built and now may drown us, our leaders keep blathering about ‘balance.’​

If you want to know how crazy the COVID-19 crisis has become in Canada, just listen for a moment to Quebec Premier François Legault.

“We’ve had no choice but to lock down, reopen, lock down, reopen,” protested the premier last week as he acknowledged how fed up people are with Canada’s disastrous yo-yo approach to COVID-19.

“The idea is to try to find a balance,” added Legault. “When we lock down, it’s to protect people’s physical health; when we reopen, it’s to help their mental health.”

“Some people think there are too many restrictions, others say they aren’t enough,” added Legault who talks like the political riddle he is. “I would like to please everyone, but that’s not possible.”

With leaders like Legault, who needs government?

Legault, who seems divorced from reality, has pleased no one because his ineffective COVID-19 rollercoaster has achieved nothing except drag his province into a public health and economic hell with no clear exit.

For example, when you rely on your hospitals rather than public health measures for pandemic control, you should not be surprised that 84,000 health-care workers have had infections or that half of those infections have occurred in Quebec.

Widespread political malpractice

What kind of leader cultivates such repeated failures? Answer: the delusional premiers of Canada’s most populous provinces.

Legault’s pitiful comments typify a broadening crisis in this nation: a total abdication of responsibility in the face of a clear and evolving emergency. We need decisive and just leadership, and six premiers have not measured up to the task.

Canada just had its worst week ever for new COVID-19 infections. Yet everything about the third wave was foretold and preventable.

“A disaster, freely and KNOWINGLY chosen by an elected government, is not someone else’s emergency,” tartly noted public health and legal expert Amir Attaran.

This chosen “catastrophe” starts at the top with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Remarkably, he still does not consider the pandemic an emergency requiring national standards, national goals, national direction or a co-ordinated response. Right. That would require leadership and hard decisions.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
No Govt. can do the 'right thing' with the trapeze balancing act, when this virus keeps changing the wind speed and direction.

Yes they certainly haven't done everything right, but when no one in the world [except smug after the fact journalists it seems] knows what is right, its lets just hope and pray this isn't a repeat of the Spanish Flu, and so far it hasn't been. Does it suck,...sure,...but it could be a lot worse.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Quebec confirms first case of 'double mutant' variant from India​

The B.1.617 variant believed to be fueling the pandemic in India
Link

I mean, it’s not like the Federal Government could have seen that coming and taken action to shield Canadians from B.1.617...

1619091806390.gif