• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Folks,

I'd like to introduce you all to the newly enabled MilPoints system. By now you've probably noticed the little
MilPoints.png
and
MilPoints-Transfer.png
logos around here, so allow me to give a quick overview.

In essence, the new MilPoints system is designed to reward "good" behaviour and allow the community at large to self-regulate by providing an avenue for user-to-user feedback.

Yes, this is another rating scheme, but that's just a small part of the overall MilPoints system. As you can see in the MilPoints FAQ, even without user-to-user ratings you can earn (or lose) MilPoints just by your daily activities. More importantly, the rating component of this system is completely transparent, unlike previous incarnations. That is, when you rate someone else's post you can classify it and leave a note to indicate why you rated the way you did. The "target" can see your note, as can every other user here, so it becomes impossible to take pot shots from the shadows.

Information on the MilPoints system can be found in the MilPoints FAQ, but of course I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

Development of the MilPoints system has been going on in the background for almost a year. Still, I expect that there will be some hiccups as we get this thing off the ground. I'll do my best to address any problems quickly and fairly, but please bear with me, it may be a bumpy ride.

Some links:

Enjoy!
Mike

Sure... post a new thread to steal the lead and pad your headstart  ;D

You might want to ammend the time online to prevent squatters leaving the page open overnight to pad some points.

Cheers.

I propose a penalty for people who's post consists of any of the following:

1.  Do a search.
2. +1
3.  Mods, lock this thread.
4.  Mods, move this thread.

Considering Mods use your 1) as well and that is part of our job....

Shamrock said:
I propose a penalty for people who's post consists of any of the following:

3.  Mods, lock this thread.
4.  Mods, move this thread.

...without at least having submitted a "REPORT TO MODERATOR" message first.

I dont care much for a rating system ( seen many come and go here) and i dont act according to my rating so....

1) I will still tell you to search ;
2) I will still tell dumbasses that they are in fact....well...dumbasses ;
3) I will still answer all questions as best as i can ; and
4) My posting style ( sarcastic, abrasive and generaly in your face) will remain unchanged.

I look forward to all the negative feedback, it just encourages me.

Yours truely,

CDN Aviator

Snafu-Bar said:
Sure... post a new thread to steal the lead and pad your headstart  ;D

You might want to ammend the time online to prevent squatters leaving the page open overnight to pad some points.

Cheers.

I think I'm the only squatter around here.

Mike,

Did that little "MP" icon just go up today? I've not noticed it until now.  ???

Snafu-Bar said:

Sorry, I can't find the thread talking about it right now.  But regarding time online, you need to refresh the page, or be continually using the site or your time doesn't add up.  IIRC it is 15 minutes and you 'time out'?  Mike?

airmich said:
Sorry, I can't find the thread talking about it right now.  But regarding time online, you need to refresh the page, or be continually using the site or your time doesn't add up.  IIRC it is 15 minutes and you 'time out'?  Mike?

Correct. You need to "click" on a button on the site at least once every 15 minutes to have your time online updated.

Although, on the main forum index page ... users showing as "online", show for 1/2 hour should they not logout. Their time doesn't count unless they are actually active (15 minute rule in effect).

Chapeski said:
I sometimes leave my browser open overnight by accident. Last night I did it with milnet.ca open, so I would feel bad taking free points for me doing something stupid. I personally don't know about the time online bit. I guess I can't opt out of this part can I.

Just read what Vern wrote right before you posted and you will see that you have no worries and no need to feel bad.  :)

Ex-Dragoon said:
Considering Mods use your 1) as well and that is part of our job....

No point in having mods subjected to a rating system at all -- by simply moderating, you're subject to negative ratings from vengeful idiots.

While this token-based morality may bring a few people in line, there are a few individuals here who are chronic assholes.  For some, negative karma seemed to be a point of pride before its fiery demise.

Shamrock said:
No point in having mods subjected to a rating system at all -- by simply moderating, you're subject to negative ratings from vengeful idiots.

Well......When someone decides to be a vengeful idiot and subject anyone, not just the Mods, to negative ratings, they will be visible for all to see.  They will also have to justify their negative rating of a person.

Can someone please please assure me that nothing in "Radio Chatter" counts towards these points?

Mother of Gawd ... as a former mod ... I'm already feeling bad for the sheer volume increase in the number of 100% totally useless comments, posts, and "jokes of the day" or other "idiotic and assinine news" and new threads the current mods will have to wade through watching bandwidth.  :-\

(I know, I make enough of those posts myself in there)

George Wallace said:
Well......When someone decides to be a vengeful idiot and subject anyone, not just the Mods, to negative ratings, they will be visible for all to see.  They will also have to justify their negative rating of a person.

The title DS should be all the readership should need to accept the authority of the speaker.  If negative rating is a result of childish attacks, then it does little more than undermine the authority of the staff and lessen the professional appearance of this site; if the negative rating is a result of conduct unbecoming a staff member, then he or she should be politely shown the ramp without the general population/peanut gallery becoming involved.

Besides, I doubt many will look at who provides the feedback, simply the value beside the poster.

Okay Mike, here is a question for you:  in the FAQ's, it says that you receive 20 pts for being online for 1 hr.  When does the clock start for this?  Looking at my milpoints history, it has given me 20pts and states "Congratulations! You've been online for 3,427 Hours!"

airmich said:
Okay Mike, here is a question for you:  in the FAQ's, it says that you receive 20 pts for being online for 1 hr.  When does the clock start for this?  Looking at my milpoints history, it has given me 20pts and states "Congratulations! You've been online for 3,427 Hours!"

I'm thinking that it's just starting today, and you've just hit your first hour online since it began (no backdating of points it would seem). Mine says this:

2008-08-29 16:47:06 ArmyVern 20 Congratulations! You've been online for 4,888 Hours!

ArmyVern said:
I'm thinking that it's just starting today, and you've just hit your first hour online since it began (no backdating of points it would seem). Mine says this:

That was my assumption too Vern, about it just starting today.  From the time that I first posted with the start of MPs, I've not (to my calculation) been online for an hour yet.  But hey, I'm on leave...what do I know about time?!?! ;D

airmich said:

It looks like it is a "Default" number set by Mike to get this set up and running.  I am sure that all the longtime members of the site will start off with this "Default" setting.

2008-08-29 16:29:59    George Wallace    20    Congratulations! You've been online for 6,460 Hours!

Mike will have to clarify what he used for a cutoff, and what a 'newbie' starts at.

Here's another one.  Are subscribers being punished?  You get +2 pts for clicking on an ad, but part of the subscriber function is that you don't see the ads. 

*expecting to get docked points for being a pest and posting too many questions!  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back