• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airtronic develops US RPG-7

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.defensereview.com/airtronic-usa-rpg-7-amerikansky-rocket-propelled-grenade-launcher/

airtronic_rpg_7_usa_21.jpg

Is this some kind of joke? I cautiously like the concept, but this thing looks like it was cheaply researched and put together, in addition to being downright painfull to use.

Dunno, seems like a reasonably good idea...

A proven weapon system, with western standard parts to help make it easier to build "muscle memory" on the new weapon...

You'll also note the article points out it was developed with USSOCOM in mind, the same people who had AR-15 type rifles developed to fire 7.62 Soviet to facilitate firing captured ammunition... being able to pick up your enemys ammo for an instant re-supp is a handy thing... particularly if you just shot him yourself so you know odds are, it isn't booby-trapped.

I don't think this will go anywhere.

That M4 butt made me laugh

Plenty of excellent condition RPG 7's in theatre.

We had Chinese, Russian, clean skinned unmarked types, and Iraqi manufactured types in our 'tickle trunk'. All in great shape, ready to be loaded up and fired.

OWDU

I believe the IDF actually is the only Western power that actually manufactures and uses the RPG-7 for its own forces although I suspect the hardware is identical to the ex Soviet stuff captured from the various Arab armies. The warheads are probably much better than what you can get from Russian, Chinese or other vendors, though.

The idea makes sense if you are passing this out to troops or local allies who can expect to resupply by gathering ammunition from the enemy, don't have the budget or technology to developĀ  and deploy advanced weapons (Javelin or Gill/Spike come to mind), or you don't want people to link the explosion back to you (black ops).

For our own use, I would say something like Javelin or Gill/Spike should be the ideal, but unless someone comes up with the money, you could be advocating for crossbows or railguns with the same results......

Back