• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After BMQ and SQ

NMC

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I know that reg force is a Monday to Friday job, but Im from toronto and im wondering how often I can come home because truthfully I'd like to come home when ever I get the chance. For those of you who know about this, or are posted in Pettewawa (RCR) and know how often a we get time off..... please msg me and give me some info about the time and trains etc... I would really like to know before I get my posting there. Thanks.

Well not necessarily.... but mostly monday to friday im supposing.....never been there so i dont know thats why im asking......

And what makes you think you will get Petawawa? You could be sent to Gagetown, Edmonton or Shilo.

I've discussed my posting with the army already i told them the only way im going reg force is if i get posted in Pettewawa due to certain conditions.They said it wouldn't be a problem. Its just... that no one has been able to fully answer my question yet.........i rather hear it from someone from RCR or someone that knows about it.....Thanks!

Well according to Map Quest it is approximately 5.5 hours one way from Petewawa to Toronto. So a lot depends how many weekends you want to spend 11 hours traveling. If you need to take trains or buses it will take longer.

I was posted to Petawawa for 4 years and made it home to Montreal most weekends. Your time off will vary due to unit activities.

You may very well get posted to Petawawa as you wish but dont expect to stay there your whole career.

Posted in Pettewawa - Reg Force with the RCR how often does a soldier get time off to rest, or to come home and see his family?

NMC, you've already got one thread on this topic.  Please wait for some responses from the troops in Pet.  Keep in mind that any with the weekend off, especially those who travel, aren't going to be on line right now.

yes i heard its between 4 to 5 hours drive...... thats good thanks guys well appreciated!!!

I got some answers on this topic already.... mostly.... RCR gets weekends off depending on unit exercises.....
But still.... feel free to drop extra comments about Petewawa.........

I've merged both of your threads and got rid of the polls.

Time off in Petawawa depends on your unit that you'll be posted to.

It also depends on:

- Regimental parades
- exercises
- ranges
- courses being scheduled
- support for said courses
- Brigade events (sports days, family days etc)
- work up training for tours
- supporting other units who are conducting work up training for tour

Your time off will vary from Regiment to Regiment and from squadron/ company to squadron/ company.

Regards

Mod note - Cease starting the same topic thread in another forum. Polls are not required either.

The Army.ca Staff

I thought I'd throw this out there, But say after BMQ and SQ, I'm certain its your trade that basically determines where it is that you will be sent. That being said I wanted to know where Signal Operator would be sent, I heard its Possible for Kingston, Ontario. Aberta, And Vancouver. If this is wrong or if there are more possible locations I'd much apprieciate any feedback.

Sig Op?  Pretty much any base but I'd be willing to bet you'd be sent to a Bridgade unit (Edmonton, Petawawa, Valcartier) or CFJSR in Kingston.

Andrew J.T Smith said:
I thought I'd throw this out there, But say after BMQ and SQ, I'm certain its your trade that basically determines where it is that you will be sent. That being said I wanted to know where Signal Operator would be sent, I heard its Possible for Kingston, Ontario. Aberta, And Vancouver. If this is wrong or if there are more possible locations I'd much apprieciate any feedback.

Most QL3 grads goto a Brigade HQ&Sigs unit(Edmonton, Petawawa, Valcatier) some also goto CFJSR in Kingston. And others like myself get sent straight to a Combat Arms unit; dunno if things have changed since I went through but this isn't all that common so not all courses get positions for a Combat Arms unit.  And theres also some QL3 grads who goto Comm Sqns(static units).

Someone  correct me if i'm wrong, but don't they ask you where you would like to be posted and then if there is an opening you might get it.

bradlupa said:
Someone  correct me if i'm wrong, but don't they ask you where you would like to be posted and then if there is an opening you might get it.

Dunno how it works for other trades  but for Sig Op each course is givin positions to fill at different units and you can say you which one of those you'd like. On my course we had 2 positions for the Patricia's, 1 for Trenton and 18 for 2HQ&Sigs. Than later on during the course 2 positions for RCHA came up and 5 for CFJSR.

When you get to your unit you tell your clerk your posting prefences and that goes on your file. Aswell on EMAA you can put in your posting preferences. Than when the career manager comes to your base an does your interview he'll see all this an tell you if you are staying where you're at or going elsewhere.

Back