• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice on which path to take?

annej_22

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm going to start this off by saying that I am a new poster and honestly, only very recently became interested in the military.
I have been curious about it for a while but this is really the first time I have done serious research on the subject. From all this research I have become motivated, but also overwhelmed by all the information/different paths/careers.

Basically, I am a 17-year old female high school senior. In grade 11 I had an average of about 84%. I expect a much higher average in grade 12 (this year). I'm going to guess around 90-94%. I consider myself involved in my community and high school - I play in a competitive hockey league and volunteer for the city. At my school, I am involved in theatre, I am the grad council president, I am the secretary of a humanitarian club and I play rugby. I have utterly no military experience, however.

For as long as I can remember, I have been interested in pursuing a career in political science, international relations and/or law. My most recent career plans have included going to law school and it remains a very valid possibility for me.

In my research I have turned up two career options which intrigue me the most. The careers are as a Legal Officer or an Intelligence Officer.

As a legal officer, I realize I would have to pursue the normal path of undergrad and law school - after passing the Bar I would be able to join as an Officer. This interests me a lot, especially since it sticks closely to the career path I've had in mind the last few years. However, I don't feel like I want to wait that long to get involved with the military - as such I have looked into joining the Reserves during my undergraduate and graduate studies. It would be a welcome benefit if some my education could be subsidized - I have read that the Reserves do provide some compensation for education. Basically, I'm trying to understand what my life would be like as a university student on the Reserves. How much commitment is it and what is the basic lifestyle like? Do I have a choice as to what educational institution I attend? As well, if I do end up completing my education as a lawyer and being hired as a Legal Officer, how many years do I commit to?

My second option would be to join the Regular Forces at the start of my university education. However, I am interested in a Canadian post-secondary institution offering a very specific program. I am less interested in attending the Royal Military College. However, if I did attend RMC I would study Politics. How great is the benefit of attending the college as opposed to a civilian institution? I read that it IS possible to attend civilian universities, but I am unclear if there are specific exceptions or not. In my research I have found the Intelligence Officer career to be the most appealing to me. If I did go the Regular Forces route, what is my commitment, assuming I do a full 4-year undergraduate degree? In this situation I know that the education is fully subsidized and that the commitment is based on the duration of education. My question is - if I am unprepared to fully commit to say, 5 years of military service, is it possible to do maybe 2 years of Reserves while I attend school, and then join the Regular Forces for my final 2 years, with full subsidy? I hope this doesn't seem uncommitted - you must realize that I am in the early stages of research and interest, so I want to know how much leeway I have in the event that I am not as interested in the military as I am currently.

Finally, I am just hoping for some clarification on the military life in general. If you can excuse me, I honestly have no experience with it, other than what I've read or seen in documentaries. How often could I expect to be deployed? I'm not sure if this is popular opinion, but a lot of my interest in the military comes from the opportunity to travel and represent my country abroad. I realize that I would be facing war and I am comfortable with that prospect. As well, with my intended careers (either Legal or Intelligence), how much "typical" military experience can I expect? As in, the more physical aspect.

Anyways, I hope my questions are somewhat clear. I'm excited by the prospect of this and although I am not completely decided, I really want to learn as much as I can to make sure my decision is solid. If you have any advice or commentary on what path I should take or what would be the most appropriate in my situation, please let me know. Thanks in advance for helping me in this journey.

I would 100% go for a degree instead of just joining after high school.  That's what I am doing and I feel the experience of University has solidified my intentions with the army and it has given me the chance to decide if this is what I really want.  I have a degree in History and Political Science, and You sound just like me 7 years ago.

Your path sounds like you have all ready done a lot of homework, I do suggest doing ROTP which pays for some or all or your education, and I'm pretty sure they let you study at most major universities, but don't quote me on that.

Honestly I did not do ROTO, I paid for university myself through work and I am going DEO.  Like you I did not want to tie myself down after university unless it is 100% what I wanted to do, which is the case now.  I personally would not try get the military to pay for your university unless you want to make it a life long decision.  Because those 9 ish years will take a long time.

Life in the military is not "easy" and it changes with the wind.  Mostly it is a 9-5 job ... maybe a few weekends for training and what not, but generally it depends on your trade.  I would expect to go overseas once every 3 years or so for a tour, but again that changes for every trade, what the situation is ... so it is hard to actually pin point this kind of thing.

Also with Intelligence, You cannot join right away into that trade.  You have to be a member in another trade, and transfer into it.  I wanted to do that, and I will have to wait  a few years until I can even think about doing it.  If law is what you want to do, I would start with law and go from there. 

Advice on which path to take?
I would let your decision be informed by Robert Frost:
...two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Not only is the beaten path for the beaten person, it's also more likely to be an ambush  ;)

While only you know what type of person you are, I'd suggest taking the road less travelled by. Before joining the CF, go work in Africa...volunteer at a food bank.....learn the basics of a language, then develop it in an obscure part of Asia or South America...apply for an internship working in the Canadian arctic. The CF will still be here when you get back.

You'll be a more broadened person, potentially a better candidate to the CF recruiters, and if nothing else, it will beat the hell out of the stories by the guy who made his career at Walmart when you go home for the highschool reunion in 20 years.

jackel_99 said:
She knew what I meant, as did everyone else

As with most of your post, you have made a great deal of assumptions, and given an impression that could be taken as being something that it is not.  Many people do take the statement "9 to 5" seriously.  You have only perpetuated that impression.

A great deal of assumption ? I discussed what I am doing and what information I have found out, that is not assuming, that is informing.  Many people do take the 9 - 5 example for a regular work day, that can begin at any time, it is however, to say that the shifts are usually normal.  However, I am not going to take the time to conduct proper reseach and a poll on the subject.

Either way,

Bickering about our opinion on what the vast majority of Canadians think of what 9 - 5 means is unproductive and I assume we both have better things to do

Back