• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advanced Tactical Parachute System

excoelis

Inactive
Reaction score
For Infanteer and all interested:

"We were looking for a parachute that will lower the rate of descent and lessen the impact with the hopes and expectations that this would result in a reduction in injuries,"

It is a highly modified cross-shaped canopy with an inflated diameter 14 percent greater than that of the T-10, with 28 percent more surface area.

The 14-percent weight increase earns jumpers a 25-percent reduction in rate of descent.

The T-10 and ATPS are mass tactical parachute canopies, meaning they are not steerable. Because these are not steerable, distribution is managed by exit sequences and timing, aircraft altitude and speed, wind and canopy drift characteristics, Jones said.

And as to us getting them take the following date and add 10 or 20 years.

The ATPS is being tested at Yuma Proving Grounds in Yuma, Ariz., and will be fielded between 2005 and 2006.

Full article:

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=5502

Hey sorryto bother you guys- but on a "typical" jump course what is the injury rate? My stepfather broke both his ankles when he did his. Just wonderin......

Yep, that was the same article I read, thanks excoelis.   As well, the 10 to 20+ years is what I was (disappointingly) looking for... :'(

I was always under the impression we wanted to get on the ground as quickly[with relative safety] as possible so were not just a group of giant pinatas.

This system has been in the making for a number of years. I saw a presentation about it at CPC in 1998, including a film. An interesting aspect is that while not steerable, the system we were briefed on could rotate without forward motion, making landings much safer (putting an end to rear landings :o ) and maintaining the mass drop capability. That is not mentionned in the article, so it may have been dropped. Ex Coelis's 10-15 year figures are probably realistic, but like him and others, I would like to see it sooner...  ;)

Back