• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

About the running part

Invalesco

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I just had a question.

I just tried doing the 2400k run, to see how fast I could do it so I could write it down on my application. But the problem is I didn't do good at all. I don't know if it's due to the fact that it's friggin cold outside right now or not, but my chest just started hurting , like cramps. I could only run for 4 minutes. I know that is just pathetic and I can't believe I could only do that. But my question is, should I even start my application process yet or just concentrate on running until I can fully do the 2400 and then start my application process? My parents think I should just hand it in and get it all going, but I don't want to hand it in, then a couple weeks later have to do my phyiscal and then not be able to do it.

Thanks for any help

So...that's like from Halifax to Toronto...  ;D
Go to the Training Forum.  There are lots of good advice there for Training.  Paracowboy has given good advice in a lot of the Threads on Running, etc.

your chest cramping up could be the cold. but it could be many other things as well, like your sick, you have asthma. i dont know your backround and i'm not able to tell ya what it is, just speculate. as for your testing as far as i know all you will be doing is a step test, you can search the forums and i'm sure it will explain somewhere what it is to you. i didn't have to do any running for the test. but with that said the test is supposed to be equivilant to running 2400 meters so if your not in good enough shape to do the run it will show on the test, it will be your call on whether or not you actually go back out and complete your run. i would reccommend that if you dont know your own abilities. hope that helps ya

I had the same problem, When I did the Running test I was about half a minute to a miniute over the minimum standard, The recruiter told me I could record that score on my application and continue training to meet/exceed that level until my PT Test (The Step Test etc.)

If it's proving difficult, walk the distance first and time yourself, then just make sure you beat your time each time you come back (and always complete the distance). 

You will improve.

If you can only run for 4 minutes, run 5 days a week, day one run for 4 minutes, day two try for 6 minutes etc. As long as you are healthy, the cramping is most likely your body getting used to the cardio. Don't stop to walk if you get tired but rather shuffle. Proggresively you will build up a tolerance and your distance will improve.

Think of it this way, your body is trying to tell you it can only run for 4 minutes, how then can marathon runners do upwards of 100km per day? Your body will learn but only if your brain makes it learn.

Take every opportunity that you are given throughout your day to get your heart rate up....
take the stairs, walk to the store every night to buy yourself the ingredients for your supper rather than buy enough groceries for a week, stow your remote control away somewhere, go to a gym, or if you can't go to a gym, use some free-weights, or if you don't have any.... fill up some plastic jugs with water and use those.
Do push-ups until your arms arm on fire and your heart is hammering the inside of your chest. Jump rope..... if you apply now, and you do these things you should be ok before you head off to BMQ. The human heart is an amazing thing. It get's stronger very quickly.... you just have to have the mental drive.

I don't know about you..but when I sprint it on a 2.4km run, I'm a lot more tired than what that step test did to me. Anyone else find this?

If it's proving difficult, walk the distance first and time yourself, then just make sure you beat your time each time you come back (and always complete the distance). 

That is actually a very good way of going about it. Run a certain number of laps or time. The next time you run, do a little more. When you're doing it, you'll be thinking "its only 1 more lap, I can do 1 more lap!" Another good way is, say you want to run 5k in 20 min max... you know you can do it but only if you really push yourself... schedule something important, and about 20 minutes before you have to be back at home, run to somewhere 2.5 km away, forcing you to run the 2.5km back in time.

Meh, works in theory :D

I don't know about you..but when I sprint it on a 2.4km run, I'm a lot more tired than what that step test did to me. Anyone else find this?

Yeah, the step test is a joke... but I dont think they mean its the equivalent to a 2.4km run in terms of physical training, but rather in terms of measuring your oxygen intake or something like that. I remember right after doing it the person measured my VO2 intake or something along those lines...

Forgotten_Hero said:
Yeah, the step test is a joke... but I dont think they mean its the equivalent to a 2.4km run in terms of physical training, but rather in terms of measuring your oxygen intake or something like that. I remember right after doing it the person measured my VO2 intake or something along those lines...

Ahh okay, yea -- that makes more sense.

Thanks,
-Ross

As a goal you should try to be able to run 5k for your first week of basic training.

As a goal you should try to be able to run 5k for your first week of basic training.

I quickly realised that the amount you think you can do (which was around 2.4 km) before basic training quickly doubles when theres more motivation :D
In the first couple of days of SQ, they made us run 5k... Never done that before then.

If your worried about not being able to run, in basic training, don't worry I've seen people that can barely walk to the bathroom pass the PT test and still graduate, if you are remotely able to move under your own strength, chances are you will pass Basic training.  Right know the only standard you have to pass is the CF Express test in week three or four and then you can sit back on your laurels and coast through with the minimum amount of effort needed.  The CF is interested in quantity not quality, and if anyone is upset about what I have said, I apologise in advance, but being a recruit instructor, basic training is now designed not to fail.  I've seen recruits pass that should of been gone weeks before graduation but if you follow the TP(Training Plan) to the letter, which you have to, otherwise standards will be all over you, new recruits are given so many chances it is virtually impossible to fail the course. 
I know I went off on a rant there , but it just had to be said.
SOLDIER ON !!

grayman said:
If your worried about not being able to run, in basic training, don't worry I've seen people that can barely walk to the bathroom pass the PT test and still graduate, if you are remotely able to move under your own strength, chances are you will pass Basic training. 

I don't entirely agree with that comment. If you're worried about running in bmq then you should work on your running and ensure you can not only meet the minimum but can greatly exceed it. Sure when you're running with a crowd the pressure is on and you may run further than you thought but you shouldn't go into bmq w/o properly training. Also, your body should be used to running so during bmq you can properly heal from pt and  you're not as tired. Being overly tired from lack of running prior to bmq is not good because then you will suffer in the other activities, like falling asleep in class.

Yes, You had better practice real hard. My son got 4.5 out of 6 and is sitting in PAT platoon  waiting to see what they are going to do with him. RUN your butts off.

Well I am 37 and I am running...

I previously played sports when I was a teenager and in my 20s but raising kiddos...made that hard for awhile...so after about 15 years of not running...I am.  Started slow and it just keeps getting easier...gettin gout the door is the hardest part.

Now I had always swam, skated, biked and did other active things when I hadn't run but I didn't think I could  :)

One foot in front of the other...

HL

SoF said:
I don't entirely agree with that comment. If you're worried about running in bmq then you should work on your running and ensure you can not only meet the minimum but can greatly exceed it. Sure when you're running with a crowd the pressure is on and you may run further than you thought but you shouldn't go into bmq w/o properly training. Also, your body should be used to running so during bmq you can properly heal from pt and  you're not as tired. Being overly tired from lack of running prior to bmq is not good because then you will suffer in the other activities, like falling asleep in class.

But for the record, the standard in BMQ is still pathetic. We had this one chick on my course who seriously fat. And not fat in the way my girlfriend thinks her ass is big. I mean actually FAT. She blocked out the sun. And I'm glad she was on a no drill chit for graduation, because I would have been embarassed for my folks to have seen me on parade with her.

So, I guess the moral of the story is push yourself as hard as you can before you start basic because if you're a sack of shit people WILL hate you. They will resent the fact that they take this job seriously, and the fatties just coast through. Lead by example, or at the very least, don't be an embarassment to those around you. I'm not saying you need to be able to run marathons, but if you can do 5kms before you start you should be good to go. Combine that with a keen mind and a commitment to self-improvement and you should have no problems.

Back