• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Swerve On Leave/leadership- from "CAF Members File Suit"

Except that it's nearly impossible to transfer your qualifications to be employed at even a reasonably similar level of expertise or seniority. Unlike the RCAF which is answerable to some extent to Nav Canada and civilian aviation rules for individual qualifications, the RCN is completely exempt from civilian standards.

For reference to the discussion,

3 pages.

While "answerable" is obviously the wrong word,…
It is indeed the wrong word.

As SKT noted, authority and transferability are entirely unrelated. Especially in aviation, detail matters. Pelorus was wrong in their statement. You brought an accurate view of TCCA’s credit for transfer of experience from DND to TCCA’s licensing and qualification regimes.

The arrogance of any organization to think that they’re the best show in town is a real sign of delusion and decay. Sadly, I don’t think the ensconced culture (not just the Navy, although it seems to have the arrogance down to a tee) in the military will change any time soon. Service to country sadly seems well past its zenith…and members more and more are getting it that QOL and QOWL are not to be under appreciated, and that there are always opportunities beyond that can provide very reasonable quality of life and of work life without the gun to the head by a descendant employer.

There is no trade on ship that would be considered a High School education.

Bos'n = Deckhand
Steward = Hospitality and Tourism
Martech = Millwright, Welder, Electrician, Plumber
CSE = Instrumentation, Technicians, etc.

All require some form of post-secondary education. The Navy gives them that education, with modest salary, and then ups their pay accordingly when they are trained.

Apologies for my lack of clarity: Entry standard is a high school education. CAF then provides training and experience (which is fully paid for and on salary while receiving it, unlike those taking college programs who pay their own way).

It really is a case of the emperor has no clothes at this point isn't it?

I look at the recent top brass the RCN has produced:

McDonald, Baines, Edmundson 🤣

I don't want to work for these people. Actually let me rephrase that: I won't work for these people anymore.

'There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates.'

George S. Patton

The arrogance of any organization to think that they’re the best show in town is a real sign of delusion and decay. Sadly, I don’t think the ensconced culture (not just the Navy, although it seems to have the arrogance down to a tee) in the military will change any time soon. Service to country sadly seems well past its zenith…and members more and more are getting it that QOL and QOWL are not to be under appreciated, and that there are always opportunities beyond that can provide very reasonable quality of life and of work life without the gun to the head by a descendant employer.
The thing I think a lot of leaders don't understand today is that there is legal authority, but there is also moral authority.

Legal authority gives you the right to order me to do something.

Moral authority makes me want to do something for you when I otherwise wouldn't want to.

We've seen quite clearly what happens when leadership loses the moral authority to give orders.

The thing I think a lot of leaders don't understand today is that there is legal authority, but there is also moral authority.

Moral authority makes me want to do something for you when I otherwise wouldn't want to.

We've seen quite clearly what happens when leadership loses the moral authority to give orders.
I'm stealing that...

Brilliantly put.

Last edited:
I'm stealing that...
Additionally,

Moral authority, like legal authority, can be lost but it can also be gained back. I know I've made decisions at times that I've regretted and some have undermined my moral authority as a leader.

What's important is was there a consistent pattern with no course correction or was this something completely out of character? Position also plays a role, as the consequences are greater dependent on the position one holds.

Additionally,

Moral authority, like legal authority, can be lost but it can also be gained back. I know I've made decisions at times that I've regretted and some have undermined my moral authority as a leader.

What's important is was there a consistent pattern with no course correction or was this something completely out of character? Position also plays a role, as the consequences are greater dependent on the position one holds.

e.g., 'What if you'd won'?

Back