• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Stupid Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

Jim Seggie said:
Movies showing "snipers" making shots from 500 meters + in the standing position. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Let me qualify that with "standing unsupported position"  :facepalm:

I was really impressed when the SMG would fire 2-3 rounds when you only wanted to fire 1. Usually with blanks, the rounds wouldn't be powerful enough to cycle the bolt all the way back to engage the bolt catch and she'd keep going!

I had an SMG run away on the range (sear was worn.) I've had one fire when the pistol grip hit the frozen ground while doing up he sees me down. I've had all the rounds come out the bottom end of the mag because the locking nub for the plate was worn out. I've had run away C6s in tanks one due to faulty firing solenoid and one was a faulty trigger mec. You can fire gangsta style with out a jam........if your left handed

Jim Seggie said:
Movies showing "snipers" making shots from 500 meters + in the standing position. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Or snipers at the same range or longer making headshots (albeit in the prone position), sometimes against a moving target.

Or my favourite is where the assassin gets into position and opens his guncase, pulls out the rifle body, screws on the barrel and then clips the rifle scope to the rifle. Puts the scope on his target, squeezes the trigger and Bam! the targets dead.

Retired AF Guy said:
Or snipers at the same range or longer making headshots (albeit in the prone position), sometimes against a moving target.

Or my favourite is where the assassin gets into position and opens his guncase, pulls out the rifle body, screws on the barrel and then clips the rifle scope to the rifle. Puts the scope on his target, squeezes the trigger and Bam! the targets dead.

I'm no sniper, but trained with the snipers on our team plenty out at CFSAC back in the day when it was called that.  A few of our matches were at the 500m point with the good old iron sight C7 and yes, I could hit that bull fairly regularly at that range.  For our snipers who at that time were firing on moving 'hun's head' targets (more or less head sized) with a tiny bull at greater ranges (900m I believe) I'd be disappointed if those guys couldnt get a first shot kill from 500m prone.

As for the quickly assembled rifle... they sure do lose  zero pretty easily when taken down, but we had drills for attaching the C79 that did a good job of minimizing it.

spent 6 years as an RCRin the early 80's before I LOTPed to medic; we used the smig plenty of times; it was the weapon for drivers, especally grizzly drivers. Seen plenty of runaway smigs  do the 'runaway' with blanks on ex & live rounds on the range; and plenty of "ND"s" like tank troll says on ex; but as Tank Troll said, the smigs were at the end of lives even in the mid 80's...

medicineman said:
All ND's I've seen with the SMG were because the safety was off and the trigger was squeezed and I've seen a few.

I've seen two where the weapon was not fully cocked on "Load" (in the days - mid-seventies - before there was a separate "Load" and "Ready"). The cocking handle was released just prior to the sear engaging each time. Both were caused by experienced and competent individuals, and I was one of them. That was also in the days before charges were routinely laid for NDs and the only penalty was deep personal embarrassment.

It seemed to me that the safer method of loading that particular weapon would have been to first cock it, then put the change lever to safe, and finally insert the magazine.

I had the same experience with the SMG, thinking it was fully cocked and getting a loud surprise.  As a Despatch Rider the damnable weapon was mine and while scoring marksman with the 9 Mil and the FN, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with with a Smig after the first round.  The recoil was so slow,  I just didn't have the rythym.

It took practice to hold it steady as the bolt travelled forward. Once you figured it out, you could do quite well with it, and short burst worked quite well as the recoil and forward mass worked against each other to help steady it. The problem I found is that few people understood how to get the best out of it. Took the time in Vegas to try out the Uzi. I found it was very accurate with 3rd bursts producing cloverleafs at 15 metres and far more comfortable to carry than the SMG which had either the cocking handle, pistol grip or mag digging into you. The Uzi is heavier though.

When I was in the MO I had the SMG as my personal weapon.  Loved it.  I could after a while, fire it from the hip and make a tin can dance.  Never had a problem with mine but was always cognizant on where the muzzle was pointing and not to handle her too roughly. 

A partner I had on the Highway Patrol was a former Winnipeg City officer.  He had a case where a gun collector had his collection ripped off.  One of the weapons was a brand new, single shot only SMG.  Stan was able to recover the weapons and following their return to the owner he purchased the SMG.  It was beautiful all brand new like that, nice finish, everything tight and a decent magazine.

There was a room-clearing concept in 4RCR in the early seventies, which involved special 9mm ammo for the SMG. It was thought that it would be a good idea to have the bullets made out of that hard, dark blue, bouncy rubber from which Super Balls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball were made. One would fire a whole magazine's worth through the doorway and then close the door and wait for a few minutes. The occupants would then be found dead in the room, covered in a bazillion tiny bruises - pummelled to death by thirty little projectiles pinging around the room, no matter what they were hiding behind.

Another proposal was for a semi-automatic version of the old 3.5 inch rocket launcher, fed from a six-round gravity-operated magazine, as an anti-bunker/pillbox weapon. Two bunkers/pillboxes could be taken out with one load. The first, second, fourth, and fifth rounds would have wooden warheads, and the third and sixth would have HE. The operator would creep around behind the target and fire three rounds at the door in succession. The first two would make a "knock knock" sound, and the third would enter through the now open door to kill the occupants.

Another proposal was for a semi-automatic version of the old 3.5 inch rocket launcher, fed from a six-round gravity-operated magazine, as an anti-bunker/pillbox weapon. Two bunkers/pillboxes could be taken out with one load. The first, second, fourth, and fifth rounds would have wooden warheads, and the third and sixth would have HE. The operator would creep around behind the target and fire three rounds at the door in succession. The first two would make a "knock knock" sound, and the third would enter through the now open door to kill the occupants.

Holly cow Batman what drugs were they on to come up with that one?

jollyjacktar said:
When I was in the MO I had the SMG as my personal weapon.  Loved it.  I could after a while, fire it from the hip and make a tin can dance.  Never had a problem with mine but was always cognizant on where the muzzle was pointing and not to handle her too roughly. 

Some guys got really good with it. I had a WO in RCD that could cut a figure 11 post of with half a mag or so. I managed to qualify with it every year.

my72jeep said:

Holly cow Batman what drugs were they on to come up with that one?

Manpad version of the Ontas

I rather like how the actors can order their others around in an almost normal voice during a firefight.  ::)

No barrel changes on HMGs
Hollywood magazines
Nuclear hand grenades

Jim Seggie said:
I rather like how the actors can order their others around in an almost normal voice during a firefight.  ::)

And synchronize watches on the helicopter (which always makes Bell 47 - piston-engined M*A*S*H helicopter - noises) five minutes back from the LZ in a normal voice, too. The pilot is usually wearing a monocular NVG for night insertions as well, for the purpose of making the landing more amusing for all involved.

Tank Troll said:
Some guys got really good with it. I had a WO in RCD that could cut a figure 11 post of with half a mag or so. I managed to qualify with it every year.

I was always impressed by the penetration power of the 9mm. We did lots of shooting at different things (legally, within certain ethical contexts) and the SMG was pretty good at getting through various types of cover.

Back