• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Death of a Capitol Police officer confirmed by U.S. Capitol Police:
At approximately 9:30 p.m. this evening (January 7, 2021), United States Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick passed away due to injuries sustained while on-duty.

Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters. He returned to his division office and collapsed. He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The death of Officer Sicknick will be investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, the USCP, and our federal partners.

Officer Sicknick joined the USCP in July 2008, and most recently served in the Department’s First Responder’s Unit.

The entire USCP Department expresses its deepest sympathies to Officer Sicknick’s family and friends on their loss, and mourns the loss of a friend and colleague.

We ask that Officer Sicknick’s family, and other USCP officers’ and their families’ privacy be respected during this time.
# # #
More via Google News here.

For the record, this from POTUS as of ~1910 last night:
I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders. America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country, and to those who broke the law, you will pay. We have just been through an intense election and emotions are high, but now tempers must be cooled and calm restored. We must get on with the business of America. My campaign vigorously pursued every legal avenue to contest the election results. My only goal was to ensure the integrity of vote. In so doing, I was fighting to defend American democracy. I continue to strongly believe that we must reform our election laws to verify the identity and eligibility of all voters and to ensure faith and confidence in all future elections. Now Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation. 2020 has been a challenging time for our people. A menacing pandemic has upended the lives of our citizens, isolated millions in their homes, damaged our economy and claimed countless lives. Defeating this pandemic and rebuilding the greatest economy on earth will require all of us working together. It will require a renewed emphasis on ther civic values of patriotism, faith, charity, community and family. We must revitalize the sacred bonds of love and loyalty that bind us together as one national family. To the citizens of our country, serving as your President has been the honour of my life, and to all of my wonderful supporters, I know you are disappointed, but I also want you to know that our incredible journey is only just beginning. Thank you, God bless you and God bless America.

I think this is a law enforcement coup(notwithstanding the loss of one of their own)......brought the stupidest, and therefore potentially most dangerous lunatics, out of the woodwork with minimal damage. Meanwhile the millions and millions of normal Americans carried on with their day to day.

insurrection?? I could get more people in a flash mob of half price Gucci handbags.
When you manage to disrupt and delay the confirmation of the election results of the most powerful country in the world and get a couple people dead in the halls of its legislature, give us all a shout.

Without this having been repelled by force, the joint session of Congress would not have been able to resume and confirm the election results. That’s what makes this an insurrection versus any other protest or riot. Much of the senior Republican leadership and at least one past Republican president seem to agree on the use of the word.

Dan Bongino said that the ease the protestors had in gaining entry was more of a political failure than a police failure. He went on to say without revealing tactics was to deploy police/NG in front of the building which would keep the protestors away from the building. It was clear that there were not enough police on hand. The march was planned so the NG should have been on hand. The size of the Capitol Police is around 2300 which is larger than some of our major cities.

Video of the office of the Senate Parliamentarian:

Besides the fact it got trashed, how many of those rioters took stuff? How many could have planted stuff? It sounds tin-foil-hatty to say so, but if I was a spy, I'd totally get in that mob to gain access and take (or plant) important things. Obviously I'm not the only one to think this way:

Definitely looks a lot more destructive/damaging than I initially thought or spoke to, I'll eat baked crow over that :sneaky:

I think an inexperienced clerk on a PLQ could have did a better threat assessment and come up with a better plan than what the Capitol Hill security did.

When you manage to disrupt and delay the confirmation of the election results of the most powerful country in the world and get a couple people dead in the halls of its legislature, give us all a shout.
Really? Come on now....one bomb threat and one pistol.......and you know that.

Enjoying the dictionary hair-splitting. Portland was bad; this was bad. I'm still convinced that if you show less tolerance for disorder, you will get less of it. Hopefully this prompts a change of policies.

Enjoying the dictionary hair-splitting. Portland was bad; this was bad. I'm still convinced that if you show less tolerance for disorder, you will get less of it. Hopefully this prompts a change of policies.
I feel like Portland was bad on a micro level. Effected the immediate community and city of portland.

This was bad on a macro level. Effected the country, the physical safety of nationally elected officials, delayed the confirmation of the election results.

The USA and the world are lucky things didn't go more pear shaped than it did. Senators and representatives caught by the mob, the electoral college boxes taken by the mob, the police opening fire on a wide scale in panic, and a thousand other things that could have ended up with January 6th 2021 being a more horrible day than it already was.

Last edited:
The mob should never have been able to obtain any kind of entry. That's a reflection on the grownups, not the children.
Especially post 9/11 ... really? That's the best defense they had for an event of that importance? Wow.

The photo of this intruder carrying flex cuffs along with FBI confirmation of at least two explosive devices in separate areas of DC today certainly supports your point:

View attachment 64300

Clearer pictures of the zip ties:

Back