• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

5-10 person toboggan

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Any one have a winter indoc/winter warfare pam with a photo or drawing of how to load the toboggan.

my72jeep said:
Any one have a winter indoc/winter warfare pam with a photo or drawing of how to load the toboggan.

Heavy stuff on the bottom; light stuff on top.

IIRC the stove and stove board, lantern and case, rations and ice blocks all go on the bottom layer. Then the tent on top of all that, ensuring its folded as small as possible. Axes go on the side or top along with the two aluminum shovels. DON'T forget tent spikes - that's a continual problem that has never been totally solved. The tent spikes can either be on the guidelines and wrapped up in said guidelines or taken and put in a sandbag, lessening the chance of an errant spike piercing the tent.
When you get this all in, secure it tightly and keep the profile low - nothing worse than an ill packed toboggan tipping over or the ropes coming undone and your kit spilling all over Shilo training area.
That's as much as this brain can remember right now - no doubt something will pop into my head at 0300 while I'm on stove watch...…  :rofl:

Might be something here.

https://archive.org/details/Artic_Sub-Artic_Operations_B-GL-323-003-FP-001/page/n97/mode/2up

Pack the heavier items on the bottom towards the rear. That will keep the front of the toboggan riding slightly higher, especially in deeper, or powdery snow.

I would also advise folks to stick some chemical hand/foot warmers in their rucks. They don't take up much space/weight, but can be a huge "mood" booster when you are cold/wet. Have fun.  :cold:

Blackadder1916 said:
Might be something here.

https://archive.org/details/Artic_Sub-Artic_Operations_B-GL-323-003-FP-001/page/n97/mode/2up

Beat me to it. Pretty wild that it's from 1974 and still going strong. I don't remember there actually being pictures in there but it's been a while since I've read it.

I have a few basic winter warfare courses saved on a USB, I'll go through it for any pics of layouts. I can send the lesson plans if you're curious to take a read too.

Back