• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

33 dead in Japan

AbdullahD

Inactive
Reaction score
Suspected arson has claimed the lives of 33 people in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIBkmgz6uA&fbclid=IwAR12kg63m_1EIzq331p_qdZz8GT3QnRxVTmdojVU0KDfFAUxrGa-6f-E17s

May they rest in peace and may their families find strength to face this test.

Abdullah

In Japan violent crime is rare, so having someone burn down Kyoto Animation and kill 33 people and leave 36 others badly burned and injured must weigh heavy not only on the public, but also the First Responders who had to respond to the carnage.

I've been to Kyoto. It's a beautiful city. It was originally considered for an A-bomb. But, was replaced by Nagasaki.

As a result, Kyoto is one of the few Japanese cities that still has an abundance of pre-war architecture.

Couple of months ago, a guy attacked a bunch of school kids at a bus stop with a knife I think killed 2 and wounded a dozen. They have had a number of mass knife attacks and I think the only country with a terrorist gas attack outside of a war zone?

mariomike said:
In Japan violent crime is rare, so having someone burn down Kyoto Animation and kill 33 people and leave 36 others badly burned and injured must weigh heavy not only on the public, but also the First Responders who had to respond to the carnage.

I've been to Kyoto. It's a beautiful city. It was originally considered for an A-bomb. But, was replaced by Nagasaki.

As a result, Kyoto is one of the few Japanese cities that still has an abundance of pre-war architecture.

I'd like to think that the Allied planners also wanted to keep it intact as it was the old capital before Tokyo. 

Then again, they firebombed Tokyo.

Colin P said:
Couple of months ago, a guy attacked a bunch of school kids at a bus stop with a knife I think killed 2 and wounded a dozen. They have had a number of mass knife attacks and I think the only country with a terrorist gas attack outside of a war zone?

Japan’s crime problem? Too many police, not enough criminals
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/japan-s-crime-problem-too-many-police-not-enough-criminals-1.3451997
The murder rate of 0.3 per 100,000 people is among the lowest in the world

Dimsum said:
I'd like to think that the Allied planners also wanted to keep it intact as it was the old capital before Tokyo. 

Then again, they firebombed Tokyo.

Kyoto is also sometimes called the thousand-year capital.

From what I understand, Henry Stimson - Secretary of War in the Roosevelt and Truman administrations - had honeymooned there in 1926. That was good luck for Kyoto, and bad luck for Nagasaki.

There is a wonderful film on Netflix, "In This Corner of the World" about life in 1944-45 Japan.

Colin P said:

Japan’s crime problem? Too many police, not enough criminals
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/japan-s-crime-problem-too-many-police-not-enough-criminals-1.3451997
The murder rate of 0.3 per 100,000 people is among the lowest in the world

Some debate about the high suicide rate is partly due to Japanese police sweeping problem cases under the suicide rug. so if there is a organized crime hit and no hope of solving it, they declare it a suicide, the file can be closed and the paperwork is nice and neat.

Back