• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2021 federal budget and the CAF

No, it's your choice to stay in the forces or not. If you can't afford a house where the CAF plans on moving you, you have the option to release and move some place less expensive.
Sounds like you're ready to be posted to CMP.

If you can't afford a house where the CAF plans on moving you, you have the option to release and move some place less expensive.

If the CAF plans to move people without regard for costs of living, it has the option to abide by the retention problem.

No, it's your choice to stay in the forces or not. If you can't afford a house where the CAF plans on moving you, you have the option to release and move some place less expensive.
Says someone who can quite reasonably stay in PLD-supported Esquimalt or cost-reasonable Halifax for their career should they so choose.

And as I mentioned upthread, that doesn't necessarily work unless you already have 25+ years in and can leave with 30 days. Otherwise it's 6 months.

So presumably, there could be a situation where you release, but they still post you there for 6 months (or the remaining time).

And as I mentioned upthread, that doesn't necessarily work unless you already have 25+ years in and can leave with 30 days. Otherwise it's 6 months.

So presumably, there could be a situation where you release, but they still post you there for 6 months (or the remaining time).
Should also be noted we are discussing cost of living, not just housing. If you have young kids for example child care is cheaper on Quebec then it is in Edmonton. Fuel costs, groceries, all these and more are different all around the country.

Yes if you don't like it get out, saying that is all fine and dandy, but how many are we loosing because they can't support them selves in a given area? And are we looking into the why factor? Is it just the persons financial literacy? Or is it a local economic issue? We really need to be doing anonymous exit surveys of those leaving and get to the bottom of our retention issues.

If it is factors the CAF can control, or assis we need to fix it.

For starters, PLD should be dealt with responsively, not in a Decade-by-Decade basis...

So? How does that discredit a childcare program?
For starters, PLD should be dealt with responsively, not in a Decade-by-Decade basis...
Or, maybe we need a different model than PLD.

As I understand it, the Australians have the Defence Housing Authority. Homeowners in Australia lease their houses to DHA, who then sub-lease them to service families. Why could that not work in Canada? People in the military could buy a house in place they like, but when they get posted, instead of selling it, they get an incentive to lease it to CFHA who then leases it to other CAF families.

They are still building equity, have low risk of managing a rental property and have a house at the end of their career. CFHA is not stuck managing a larger capital portfolio of PMQs (definitely keep PMQs- just add this ontop).

Or, maybe we need a different model than PLD.

As I understand it, the Australians have the Defence Housing Authority. Homeowners in Australia lease their houses to DHA, who then sub-lease them to service families. Why could that not work in Canada? People in the military could buy a house in place they like, but when they get posted, instead of selling it, they get an incentive to lease it to CFHA who then leases it to other CAF families.

They are still building equity, have low risk of managing a rental property and have a house at the end of their career. CFHA is not stuck managing a larger capital portfolio of PMQs (definitely keep PMQs- just add this ontop).

Or we change the force structure so that 90% of CAF members are between 18-23 years of age, who live in barracks for the duration of their service, and then boot them out, while retaining a core of more experienced personnel to run things who become eligible for higher quality accommodation etc.

Kind of like a conscript military, but without the conscription.

Reactions: QV
Or we change the force structure so that 90% of CAF members are between 18-23 years of age, who live in barracks for the duration of their service, and then boot them out, while retaining a core of more experienced personnel to run things who become eligible for higher quality accommodation etc.

Kind of like a conscript military, but without the conscription.
There is that, too. We keep too many people, too long.

A young force, where 6 years service is the norm, with very attractive educational/reserve force transfer benefits at the end might also be the ticket.

I saw a great chart the other day which showed the housing market in Canada vs 6 other western nations and how much it went up from 2000 to 2020. Unfortunately I couldn't find it but Canada was up 175% from 2000 in housing costs (the highest) well Germany was down 15% since 2000. Its a hot market, and the government needs to just let it fail otherwise people won't learn.

I had a buddy which had a house out in Fort Mac which was 750k out there in the oil boom. Boom went bust and all of a sudden that house was now worth 200k. Had to go into bankruptcy and now is doing fine but lost everything for a time. This is where we are at the moment with housing in the country. Once interest rates go up (they will) people won't be able to pay and will have to default as they overreached. Then the prices will go down significantly. That's when you buy in. This everything must come now mentality is fairly childish. Canadians choose to pay more for housing because we are willing to. Americans when you factor in all the differences in standard of living and pay, spend 44% less on housing than we do.

We have been lucky for the last 20 years to have low interest rates, but those days are coming to a end sooner than later because we have abused them.

Sounds like you're ready to be posted to CMP.

If the CAF plans to move people without regard for costs of living, it has the option to abide by the retention problem.

We should put that in our recruiting material.

Says someone who can quite reasonably stay in PLD-supported Esquimalt or cost-reasonable Halifax for their career should they so choose.
I'm sad none of you saw through my sarcasm. I don't believe a single word I said in my last two posts.

Eaglelord17 expressed these opinion (that it's our choice to remain in a tough situation) and I argued against it, but no one agreed with me or came to my defence.

I saw a great chart the other day which showed the housing market in Canada vs 6 other western nations and how much it went up from 2000 to 2020. Unfortunately I couldn't find it but Canada was up 175% from 2000 in housing costs (the highest) well Germany was down 15% since 2000. Its a hot market, and the government needs to just let it fail otherwise people won't learn.

I had a buddy which had a house out in Fort Mac which was 750k out there in the oil boom. Boom went bust and all of a sudden that house was now worth 200k. Had to go into bankruptcy and now is doing fine but lost everything for a time. This is where we are at the moment with housing in the country. Once interest rates go up (they will) people won't be able to pay and will have to default as they overreached. Then the prices will go down significantly. That's when you buy in. This everything must come now mentality is fairly childish. Canadians choose to pay more for housing because we are willing to. Americans when you factor in all the differences in standard of living and pay, spend 44% less on housing than we do.

We have been lucky for the last 20 years to have low interest rates, but those days are coming to a end sooner than later because we have abused them.
Like the Feds wouldn't bail out homeowners.

The amount of retirements and investments tied into housing equity would make the 2008 crisis look like a cake walk.

That's not uncommon in isolate resource economy-based communities. I suppose in Fort Mac they thought the boom (one of a few) would last longer. Northern Ontario towns built around a mine or a mill are the same. With wood mills it can be driven more by economic forces, but for a mine, the day it opens, the shut-down clock starts so long as the commodity prices hold. I bought my first house in 1980 in a town whose mine had been running since the '30s. I considered myself lucky when I got a 10% mortgage. I sold it three years later for about $500 more because the town's economic was pretty stable. About 10 years later the mine closed and you couldn't give houses away. The town is about half the size it used to be. Friends still living in town have thought about moving now that they are retired but with the low value of their house, even debt-free, they'd be essentially starting all over.

I'm sad none of you saw through my sarcasm. I don't believe a single word I said in my last two posts.

Eaglelord17 expressed these opinion (that it's our choice to remain in a tough situation) and I argued against it, but no one agreed with me or came to my defence.
Ok, mea culpa. It's sad that we're at this point in social media (in general) where sarcasm isn't immediately obvious.

Like the Feds wouldn't bail out homeowners.

I doubt they would. A large-scale crisis is simply beyond affordability, and a small one would set expectations.

Ok, mea culpa. It's sad that we're at this point in social media (in general) where sarcasm isn't immediately obvious.
The best sarcasm is the least obvious sarcasm.

Back