• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 Edmonton police officers shot and killed

yep, and becoming a bit of a trend, I don't recall having a series of regular LODD's such as been over past 6 months.
It has become far too frequent has it not? Mayerthorpe - where the murdering bastard should have been cooling his ass in jail - comes to mind.
Moncton among others.

Considering the reported age - 16? - of the killer. I should say "alleged killer". What would be the likely sentence for someone that age, had s/he survived?

Will the public even know his name?

- where the murdering bastard should have been cooling his ass in jail -

At the end of a rope.

It has become far too frequent has it not? Mayerthorpe - where the murdering bastard should have been cooling his ass in jail - comes to mind.
Moncton among others.
well, i have been away from patrol for a bit - will be back into it shortly. but i have plenty of contacts in the game, that relate that the level of aggression towards the police seems elevated ie) bad guys don't always run away any more. they ram the police cruisers. and as far as past months go. South Simcoe was an ambush. Seems Edmonton too. The Toronto fella was definitely a planned attack, bad guy was waiting around for a cop to show up at Hortons. so. I would encourage the public to realize that they are goin to have more guns pointed at them in the next while, as it seems the threat level has elevated.

well, i have been away from patrol for a bit - will be back into it shortly. but i have plenty of contacts in the game, that relate that the level of aggression towards the police seems elevated ie) bad guys don't always run away any more. they ram the police cruisers. and as far as past months go. South Simcoe was an ambush. Seems Edmonton too. The Toronto fella was definitely a planned attack, bad guy was waiting around for a cop to show up at Hortons. so. I would encourage the public to realize that they are goin to have more guns pointed at them in the next while, as it seems the threat level has elevated.

I do not understand it. Armed robbers have always been a threat.

But, the increased level of senseless agression towards our police, and each other, is disgusting.

I do not understand it. Armed robbers have always been a threat.

But, the increased level of senseless agression towards our police, and each other, is disgusting.
When you have a generation that has been "schooled" by the decisions made wrt consequences by the judicial industry you will know why.

Multiple infractions and out on bail before the cop who arrested him can get back on the street. Minimal sentencing for manslaughter (read mans laughter) and serious offences. Few real consequences for their crimes. Repeat bail offences but receive bail because its the law, Violate your terms of release or no contact orders? No big deal you can go free. Its a shit show.

Utter horseshit,.

When you have a generation that has been "schooled" by the decisions made wrt consequences by the judicial industry you will know why.

Multiple infractions and out on bail before the cop who arrested him can get back on the street. Minimal sentencing for manslaughter (read mans laughter) and serious offences. Few real consequences for their crimes. Repeat bail offences but receive bail because its the law, Violate your terms of release or no contact orders? No big deal you can go free. Its a shit show.

Utter horseshit,.
total disaster, JP's back in the day routinely locked up anyone who showed a past history of violence and/or armed offences. now.......totally opposite. hopefully a change in government will switch things up, but - the Supreme Court is unelected and seems loath to keep bad girls/guys inside, particularly when the said bad actor comes from an indigenous background or is a person of colour, due to over-representation in the prison population.

total disaster, JP's back in the day routinely locked up anyone who showed a past history of violence and/or armed offences. now.......totally opposite. hopefully a change in government will switch things up, but - the Supreme Court is unelected and seems loath to keep bad girls/guys inside, particularly when the said bad actor comes from an indigenous background or is a person of colour, due to over-representation in the prison population.
yes this needs to be fixed. how i do not know

well change of federal government is a start, but re-seeding the
SCC will take years.
The laws need to change BUT there are groups out there who never met a criminal they didn’t love. They make a lot of noise and some in the media who are complicit in this.
There are a lot of poverty stricken people out there but not all of them are criminals, right?there’s a lot of indigenous people but not all are criminals, right?
Crime is usually a conscious decision the offender makes to commit a crime. It doesn’t matter - you find criminals in every walk of life.

I was at a friends' house the morning of the shooting. Their son is a police officer in Edmonton.
Once we heard the news, waiting for the son to answer his phone or return a voice mail was stressful on the parents.
Then once they knew it was not their son, it became a new stress or concern. Thinking of the other parents and family of the officers.

I was happy to hear it was not their son, but then you think how the other families are feeling.
My thoughts with all the families involved in this shooting.

I have to say that, for much of my adult life, I have been against the death penalty. And in most cases I still am. However, I do feel a strong case could or should be made for it whenever police are killed or acts of terrorism occur resulting in significant carnage. Not to say a policeman’s life is necessarily any more precious than anyone else’s. Killing police is one of the ultimate acts in breaking down a society. And assuming the murderers are of truly sound mind, then it’s better to rid society and the prison system of them forever.

I have to say that, for much of my adult life, I have been against the death penalty.

Canada has not had an execution since 1962.

Which leads to the question,

Considering the reported age - 16? - of the killer. I should say "alleged killer". What would be the likely sentence for someone that age, had s/he survived?

Will the public even know his name?

My friend who is RCMP, is glad the little sh*t took their own life. Otherwise he would be free in a few year and saved us a lot of money. Apparently the father was there and unharmed, but the Mom was badly hurt. A lot of questions and few answers. My guess is the Mom tried to stop him or finally tried to discipline him.

It’s all guessing. At 16 I would have anticipated they would be sentenced as adults.

If sentenced as youth the max is 10 years I believe. As an adult they can receive life- serving two in a youth facility and then being moved to an adult facility, life being 25 years of course and they are eligible for parole, and then there is the parole they love to give adult sentenced youth offenders that can in theory be applied after 7 years (but set at sentencing) if I recall correctly. (I believe on 1st degree murder- I’ve seen 10 year parole for 17 years old)

I have to say that, for much of my adult life, I have been against the death penalty. And in most cases I still am. However, I do feel a strong case could or should be made for it whenever police are killed or acts of terrorism occur resulting in significant carnage. Not to say a policeman’s life is necessarily any more precious than anyone else’s. Killing police is one of the ultimate acts in breaking down a society. And assuming the murderers are of truly sound mind, then it’s better to rid society and the prison system of them forever.
I know what you are saying. I simply don't have the faith in the infallibility of our criminal justice system. That's not a knock on our system, but simply an understanding of any system that involves humans judging humans. There have been many cases of people rotting in jail for crimes the system 'knew beyond a reasonable doubt' that they committed; until it later determined that they didn't; but at least they can salvage they rest of their lives. Not so with capital punishment.

It would be nice to be able to craft a law which allowed for it in certain circumstances using a still higher burden of proof, but I'm not sure we can.

I know what you are saying. I simply don't have the faith in the infallibility of our criminal justice system. That's not a knock on our system, but simply an understanding of any system that involves humans judging humans. There have been many cases of people rotting in jail for crimes the system 'knew beyond a reasonable doubt' that they committed; until it later determined that they didn't; but at least they can salvage they rest of their lives. Not so with capital punishment.

It would be nice to be able to craft a law which allowed for it in certain circumstances using a still higher burden of proof, but I'm not sure we can.
100% this. While some people may be morally deserving of death, the only way the power to issue that sentence could be ethically held by the state would be if the state could 100% flawlessly convict only people who actually did the thing they’re accused of doing. Any system with a less than 1.000 batting average for correct convictions is not a system that can be entrusted with the utterly irreversible power to lawfully execute someone safely in custody and convicted.

The system has flaws, and those flaws can result in false convictions. An execution must never occur based on a false conviction. Therefore, the state must not have execution.

Utter horseshit,.
I suspect the reasons go deeper than just a ridiculously flawed legal "catch-and-release" legal system. Young people are also growing up in a world where the "Canadian Dream" is hopelessly out of reach, and seeing no real hope on the horizon, they decide to take a darker path.

It’s all guessing. At 16 I would have anticipated they would be sentenced as adults.

If sentenced as youth the max is 10 years I believe. As an adult they can receive life- serving two in a youth facility and then being moved to an adult facility, life being 25 years of course and they are eligible for parole, and then there is the parole they love to give adult sentenced youth offenders that can in theory be applied after 7 years (but set at sentencing) if I recall correctly. (I believe on 1st degree murder- I’ve seen 10 year parole for 17 years old)
And the special rules for YO's who move to adult facilities are absolutely hilarious. No using their last names, child advocates up the hoop, special privileges, etc...

And very seldom do they move to an adult facilitiy until they are at least 20, unless a judge signs off to move them earlier.

Back