• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1974 Valcartier Grenade Deaths (gov't action, memorial, etc.)

Simon

Inactive
Reaction score
As you may know I am a recent arrival and I am finding this site extremely interesting.
So where do I start, I was a cadet in 74 on a 2 week exchange from Ipperwash to ValCartier.
On july 29/74 we lost two cadets to a lightning strike, on July 31/74 we lost 6 and 40 injured due to a grenade explosion during a demonstration inside the barracks of I believe D Company ( this was at CFB Valcartier).

Anyway, there is only one reference to this incident I have been able to find anywhere. There are some who are hard to heal and family looking for contact to those who were there with lost loved ones. I shall direct them here from the blackwatch site.

Yeah, I google hunted for days a f3ew years back and didn't see anything about this incident, untill I asked on this site and got a paragraph answer.
Maybe it would be good to post the whole incident and discuss it openly, on a forum like this.
I know its probably not like this, but with the lack of public information and the request to use PM's to discuss it it almost comes across as if it was hushed up and still is.

The only information I got was from the Blackwatch website, it has a discussion thread but some reporter from La presse has been sniffing around wanting to do interviews. Im not interested in giving the media anything they would distort and try to embarrass the CF, nor am I interested in CF bashing either, Id rather see this topic locked.
That pretty much killed my interest in that thread. There are some hurting units out there who could use some help, one is the younger brother of a cadet that was killed asking for some info as to what he was like, he was 3-4 yrs old when it happened.
BTW what mech is there, if there is, to keep the bloodhounds from milnet.

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen:

I was a member of the Lanark and Renfrew Scots during 1974 and the story of the cadets being killed at Valcartier was well-known to all of us. I remember being told at the time that we should never assume even a dummy is inert. The event was tragic and it did affect many cadets. I had a friend in the Cadets at the time and he said it upset many of them to see this item vanish from the horizon so quickly. It was also unfair to blame the cadets as there was no way for them to assess whether the item was live or not. It was a sad affair

Each yearduring summer training period in Valcartier, there is always a remembrance parade for those who died in 1974. You can see near the cadet camp parade square a commemorative Platte with the names of those who died. but the story is quite short on the camp.

Charly Gutta said:
See my post and comments
Charly Gutta said:
See my post and comments
Charly Gutta said:
Just noticed that the healing is still on going for many cadets of 1974,  had a talk with one about an hour ago, had to stop working as it was hindering his work performance.
recceguy said:
This thread has been reopened.

Left you a meg. I don't know if you got it but I am suggesting that you contact me via my email. can be obtained on this sit. It seems that you and my Son in Law served in Bosnia in the same Sqn. now in a new trade in Ottawa. I would like to chat on this and other subjects.

[You can contact me through my son in law on this subject as I was the Coy. CSM.  Should the email not function, son in Law has confirmed that you have crossed path in Bosnia, the member that you mentioned on a post was with me in Germany many years back he was a M/cpl. then.

Help is needed to contact all the cadets that were in D Company at Cadet Camp Valcartier 1974, a get-together is being planned for July 24, 2008 memorial, and further discussion for a major memorial in 2009.

Please contact this writer who will put you in contact with the CSM

Thanking you in advance for all the help you can provide.

Charles Gutta
CSM of the cadet company in question.

bwatch, a more descriptive title may be better for your post...I don't think I was the only person thinking there was possibly some kind of accident at BFC Valcartier.

G2G

I would like to make it out this year from British Columbia but only if I get that big Pro-Rated Disability Cheque from CCRA by then.

As for the explosion, I was not at camp then but was in 1969.  I know a few from my old Unit "Black Watch" that were.

As for those two Cadets killed by Lightning. I know a Cadet who lived in Cote-St-Luc who had told me about it and they where his friends. I"m not sure but I think his name as Belanger.

BWATCH,

Have you notified the 3 Cadet Leagues?  The Regions?  DCdts?  Many may still be around, just hiding.

My father was there at this time, but you be will lucky if someone respond you, the company "D" was majorly french, 1 platoon English, 2 french. my father was not understand English when the grenade explode. But he have help an English guy that have lost his eye to walk outside, he remember he two white whole at the place of his eyes. He also help the commender to quit the barrack and a guy that every one was walking on him. I am sorry if you don't understand every thing, my English is not so good whit the past tense.

The following information is also available on the Black WATCH meet and greet site.
Sorry, that your father became a young adult when he should have enjoyed his young and teenage years, this been said, the memorial parade will be held on the 31 July 2008 at 10.00 Hrs. A reunion is planed for all "D" company cadets as the preparations for the 35 anniversary  July 2009 is being planed. Should you be concerned do not hesitate to contact me: rcmpao@videotron ca, for further discussion { NOTE:  by posting your rant I know that you are concerned)
Charles Gutta

Nobody is ranting.  The user wished to convey that the company was predominantly francophone and thus may not be very capable with English.

I will tread with care; FYI: Valcartier Cadet Camp  “D” Company was designated to be a bilingual company in 1974 as follows, one platoon English, one French, one Bilingual, and is to this day. My difficulties, when a member post a subject on the grenade incident the member should research it first.

cripto136 said:
My father was there at this time, but you be will lucky if someone respond you, the company "D" was majorly french, 1 platoon English, 2 french. my father was not understand English when the grenade explode. But he have help an English guy that have lost his eye to walk outside, he remember he two white whole at the place of his eyes. He also help the commender to quit the barrack and a guy that every one was walking on him. I am sorry if you don't understand every thing, my English is not so good whit the past tense.

I'm going to try to clarify this post for cripto136

He's not slamming anything, nor is he even questioning the make-up of D Coy.

I believe that he is simply stating:

That you may not get a lot of responses, because a lot of the people involved in assisting pers out of the barracks after the incident (including his father) do not speak good english and are francos.

I'm thinking he's suggesting that a post announcing your reunion/memorial "en francais" as well may draw you more responses.

I have had a talk with cripto 136 this afternoon at approx 17.00 hrs he is well informed of what has transpired and is helping his father in locating other cadets, I am providing pic's to cripto as we speak, The reunion is posted in both official languish on the Black Watch site here are the two version. Thank you for all your help.

This year Memorial Parade will take
place at 10.00 Hrs on the 31 July
2008 it would be great
>to meet.
>
>Cette année la parade comomérative aura
  lieu à 10.00 Hrs. le 31 juillet à 10.00 heures
  sa  serait génial de se rencontrées.
>

Charles Gutta MMM, CD.

Charly Gutta said:
I have had a talk with cripto 136 this afternoon at approx 17.00 hrs he is well informed of what has transpired and is helping his father in locating other cadets, I am providing pic's to cripto as we speak, The reunion is posted in both official languish on the Black Watch site here are the two version. Thank you for all your help.

This year Memorial Parade will take
place at 10.00 Hrs on the 31 July
2008 it would be great
>to meet.
>
>Cette année la parade comomérative aura
  lieu à 10.00 Hrs. le 31 juillet à 10.00 heures
  sa  serait génial de se rencontrées.
>

Charles Gutta MMM, CD.

Seen.

Don't be shy.

Here's the link to the Meet & Greet Site topic regarding the Grenade Incident of '74 for those interested:

1974 Valcartier Grenade Explosion / Anniversary (English)

I couldn't find the franco link to post (feel free to post it up though). I actually read through the threads and posts there last night on this topic. Heartbreaking.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Back