• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP Abandons Ship

Why would you campaign if you don’t intend to fill the seat? That’s dumb.
Verbalize your support for your eventual successor after appearing in full support of the selection process and its outcome. Appear regularly with the candidate after the election is called are all methods of demonstrating your commitment to your constituents. Taking ownership of your voting record and outlining to his past supporters the reasons for his choices would also have helped instead he slinks off into the sunset with pension in hand. I had always thought that he was one of the more principled parliamentarians so I am more than a little disappointed.

I'm not saying it was uncivil, or even incorrect. I just think this type of thing is a cheap shot at somebody who, because of their announcement, will no longer be a threat to PP or his party. At some point in the future, PP will "jump ship rather than face the voters" too. I know what it's like, I just wish it were not so. In spite of all the bluster, they was a lot more bipartisanship in days of yore.

Honestly, this kind of akin to calling out a co-worker as a piece of shit....at their DWD, when you no longer have to work with them, for things that no longer impact you or the work place... just because.

Charlie Angus may have had some policy missteps, but he did what he thought was right for his constituents and his party. That's politics. He's stepping aside, after serving Canada in his role as an MP.

PPs comments, while accurate on the surface, are in poor taste and reflect more poorly on him than Charlie Angus or the NDP.

I guess we just experienced the post differently. And I'm cool with that.

Why would you campaign if you don’t intend to fill the seat? That’s dumb.

Charlie read the tea leaves, and instead of taking it on the chin and being principled about his record he's bailing out. Which is too bad, I, and many others, thought highly of him. That's been tarnished.

So, they weren’t particularly civil to each other, in public, back in the day…
That's actually a fair point during the back-and-forth of work, but even in those days, if someone long-serving stepped down, there was a time people wouldn't piss on the grave before it was even dug.
Charlie started losing votes in droves when he backed the gun confiscation bill. He forgot he serviced Northern Ontario ...
So why did Charlie vote against the wishes of his constituents? ...
Good talking point, but ... He was first elected 2004, with six general elections since then including the 2021 - how many times have his constituents had a chance to turf him, and didn't? He's voted more than once in those 20 years on gun control - never that I can remember against - and if people weren't happy, they've had a lot of chances to get rid of him.

Given changing riding boundaries, and Team Blue pressure on some of the traditional labour base - including in Northern Ontario, though, methinks part of his thinking involves a read of the tea leaves for the coming election.

What I’m trying to say it that it shouldn’t be like that. The fact that it happens doesn’t mean we should just collectively shrug and say “well, it’s always been that way”.
…and there should be answers during question period, and Trudeau should stop blaming Harper for today’s woes and…..

Angus countering his constituents on the firearms flip, is but one example of him less that honestly representing his riding in Ottawa. Build a thousand bridges….

…and there should be answers during question period, and Trudeau should stop blaming Harper for today’s woes and…..
We'll see how long the next team in charge'll blame all their changes on past management ;)
Angus countering his constituents on the firearms flip, is but one example of him less that honestly representing his riding in Ottawa ….
20 years in, 6 chances to vote him out, even with him supporting gun control as proposed by Team Red (and opposing every Team Blue attempt to change things on that file) every single time as far as I can remember, and the constituents kept him in.

Last edited:
We'll see how long the next team in charge'll blame all their changes on past management ;)

20 years in, 5 chances to vote him out, even with him supporting gun control as proposed by Team Red (and opposing every Team Blue attempt to change things on that file) every single time as far as I can remember, and the constituents kept him in.

Perhaps the firearms file has become bigger than it was in the past ? Perhaps people have had enough ?

Also in his 7 elections, he has only held a plurality of the vote of his constituents 3 times and not since 2011. With it dropping from 50.4 in 2011 to 35.1 in 2021. Arguably his constituents, as a majority, haven't wanted him as their rep since 2011, and not even in the first election he ran in in 2004.

His popularity is also dropping and is now in second place according to polling. He will be able to say he was never defeated though.

Like John Horgan went to work for Tech Coal after he bashed them for years.
It would be funny if he after leaving, he takes a board seat with a mine and tunnelling company in the Ring of Fire before he’s appointed to the inaugural position of Canadian Ambassador to Gaza, also a ring of fire.

Perhaps the firearms file has become bigger than it was in the past ? Perhaps people have had enough ?
Not impossible for sure.
Also in his 7 elections, he has only held a plurality of the vote of his constituents 3 times and not since 2011. With it dropping from 50.4 in 2011 to 35.1 in 2021. Arguably his constituents, as a majority, haven't wanted him as their rep since 2011, and not even in the first election he ran in in 2004.
Fair call - although that’s also part of our system where you don’t typically need a real majority to take the win.
His popularity is also dropping and is now in second place according to polling. He will be able to say he was never defeated though.
The polls have been consistent so far, and 338 is good. That’s why I figure it was part of his calculus - and part of (result of?) Team Blue’s push in that part of Canada.

All that to say, I still like this analogy re: the tweet ...
... this kind of akin to calling out a co-worker as a piece of shit....at their DWD, when you no longer have to work with them, for things that no longer impact you or the work place... just because ...
For a couple of years after Trudeau is gone, it will be quite fair to blame him for the massive debt he incurred.
True - no shortage of fucked to unfuck there - although we'll see if it goes much past that. After all, can't fan the flames without a decent enemy ;)

For a couple of years after Trudeau is gone, it will be quite fair to blame him for the massive debt he incurred.
Until the debt is reduced back down to pre-Trudeau levels, that would be entirely fair.

The thing with Trudeau always harp’ing 😉 back to Harper, is that Canada was in a quantitatively better position regarding Federal (and provincial and municipal) debt, so Trudeau’s complaints about Harper causing all of the ills that have begotten Canadian society is hollow. It’s meant purely to deflect and demonstrates a near pathological inability to accept responsibility for what Gerald Butts and Katie Telford’s his own vision and direction has had on Canadians’ declining quality of life.

Gerald Butts and Katie Telford’s his own vision and direction has had on Canadians’ declining quality of life.
That's the root of the problem for me. As a centrist, the LPC would probably be where I would fall (there is a reason they have historically been the "natural governing party", except I've never voted for Trudeau because:
  • Trudeau wasn't "new blood," he was an incarnation of the liberal back room (led by those two). It has never had to refresh itself.
  • They have drifted the party left, but more importantly they have more and more earned the "Laurentide elite" label, led by those two in the worst way (behind the scenes).

I would have been perfectly happy voting for Erin O'Toole, but they didn't run anybody in my riding (local issue). I've been much more leery of Poilievre, and leaning Green (again, not because I ever expected them to win).

However, I'm starting to become convinced it's going to have to be Conservative, and hopefully a good thrashing, to force the LPC to understand why they are the "natural government party," and hopefully have them kick Butts, Telford, Freeland and Trudeau to the curb. If they don't do that, I'm worried that we will polarize just like the US (I saw an article contemplating merging the NDP and LPC... yikes!)

So what's a serving Member to do when they want step aside? Stay until they die? Campaign even though they don't want to win? That sounds like a winning electoral and financial undertaking for both the member, riding association and party. Go on the hustings with the new candidate? To what end? The new candidate gets to run on the party their represent and their own merits.

Trudeau has banked 20 years worth of bad decisions and fuckery, in 9. He's likely to be held up as a poster boy of how not to do things for a long, long time.
To add, how much do we still blame trudeau pere for his horseshit, after 50 years. And while he was an arsehole, junior has him hands down in spades. Little Potato will end up being the stuff of nightmares and scary stories.

Like Krampus🤣

To add, how much do we still blame trudeau pere for his horseshit, after 50 years. And while he was an arsehole, junior has him hands down in spades. Little Potato will end up being the stuff of nightmares and scary stories.

Like Krampus🤣
People will forget if there’s someone worse.

Back in the early 2000s Dubya was the devil incarnate.

So what's a serving Member to do when they want step aside? Stay until they die? Campaign even though they don't want to win? That sounds like a winning electoral and financial undertaking for both the member, riding association and party. Go on the hustings with the new candidate? To what end? The new candidate gets to run on the party their represent and their own merits.
interesting question. His riding looks as though it will be sending a conservative representative to OW. If he took the defeat he would leave the slate clean for the next candidate hopeful to raise funds and make himself/herself known throughout the constituency. By stepping down he creates a situation where a potentially great candidate goes down to defeat and is discarded 4 years later when they might have had a chance. Just as happened to O-toole. Your call.

Back