• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Can we really provide that? See a lot of talk about crew jumping from ship to ship in order for them to sail. Almost seems like we would be lucky to put 3 frigates out at once while manning I mean crewing the rest.

We have 2 subs? (yes sarcasm)
If it came to conflict, the NAVRes to my understanding i in a better position compared to the ARes. I don't know how many ships we could crew out but I imagine a few

If it came to conflict, the NAVRes to my understanding i in a better position compared to the ARes. I don't know how many ships we could crew out but I imagine a few
Well at least LAV’s don’t sink (on land). Based on some of the reports the Frigates might not make an Atlantic crossing regardless who is crewing them.

If we were at war and money suddenly wasn't an issue I am sure we would find the spare parts for the fleet, but working ships are useless without munitions
This is the crux of it. Money wouldn't be an issue, but time sure as fuck would be.

It takes time to refit/build a fleet of anything. It takes time to train crews on those platforms (CA, RCAF, or RCN). It takes time to build supply lines, stockpile munitions, have that defence in depth that's needed for sustained operations that would be occuring on both oceans.

I think of the fictional quote from Kruschev in "Enemy at the Gates" :

"Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is not."

This is the crux of it. Money wouldn't be an issue, but time sure as fuck would be.

It takes time to refit/build a fleet of anything. It takes time to train crews on those platforms (CA, RCAF, or RCN). It takes time to build supply lines, stockpile munitions, have that defence in depth that's needed for sustained operations that would be occuring on both oceans.

I think of the fictional quote from Kruschev in "Enemy at the Gates" :

"Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is not."
not to mention we would be in the security situation of russian subs just popping up and tossing a cruise missile or two into Halifax shipyard, Seaspan, or Davie. Expanding our shipbuilding on the great lakes for anti-submarine and coastal defense ships would be a security advantage.

"we must do more" just means they see the writing on the wall and are going to leave it for the next government.
I have never been a fan of Bill Blair when he was Toronto Police Chief and Minister of Border Security blah, blah, blah. But it seems to me that he has been more outspoken in his latest posting than he’s ever been. Is he simply leaving things for the next government? Somehow I think he really is trying to fix things but is butting heads with Justin and The System.

O
I have never been a fan of Bill Blair when he was Toronto Police Chief and Minister of Border Security blah, blah, blah. But it seems to me that he has been more outspoken in his latest posting than he’s ever been. Is he simply leaving things for the next government? Somehow I think he really is trying to fix things but is butting heads with Justin and The System.
One solution an officer I know suggested was to put the GST back to 7%. Use the increase to fund defense.

I suspect he’s been informed just how bad the coal face is currently and is trying to sound the alarm. The question will be if JT cares enough.

One solution an officer I know suggested was to put the GST back to 7%. Use the increase to fund defense.
Or just stop paying consultants billions of dollars, stop infringing on provincial competence, stop funding ideological indoctrination in the government, etc.

There's plenty of taxpayer money to go around already, no need to steal more. Just stop wasting it.

Or just stop paying consultants billions of dollars, stop infringing on provincial competence, stop funding ideological indoctrination in the government, etc.

There's plenty of taxpayer money to go around already, no need to steal more. Just stop wasting it.

Consultants be like... ;)

Best Wishes Good Luck GIF by giphystudios2021

I suspect he’s been informed just how bad the coal face is currently and is trying to sound the alarm. The question will be if JT cares enough.
I think a lot of people are shocked when they see the actual state of things. It’s hard to visit a base and not see trucks falling apart, dilapidated buildings, and just the general sense of disrepair.

Focusing on positives is pretty hard when your on the coal face. I think that’s lost on people.
There is such a thing as toxic positivity.

When you gloss over the massive problem by pointing out the multitude of microscopic wins, you're avoiding the problem by saying "Yes, but look at how good this one minute little thing is! Isn’t that great?"

No "positive thinking" exercise will paper over the very real and critical problems facing the CAF.

Back