• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

GHhI1RVWIAMVyir

Photo of the multi-mission bay of HMS Glasgow, currently fitting out. The handling system has yet to be fitted on the overhead rails but I thought it was a good visual on the size of the bay itself. These handling systems are being made at the newly expanded RR Centre of Excellence for Naval Handling Equipment in Ontario.
Is this picture orientated looking to Port or Starboard or towards the stern or Bow?

Public update regarding the Canadian Surface Combatant Land-Based Testing Facility to be constructed at Hartlen Point in Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia for anybody interested.

Latest-LBTF-Rendering-862x231.png

Preliminary render of the facility.

LBTF-Site-Plan-Fall-2023.png

Site plan.
Land claim to be filed in 3,2,1 …

Land claim to be filed in 3,2,1 …
I don't think they will as the closest reserve is on Cole Harbour Road and that band takes some rent from General Dynamics.
The GD five story office building kinda jumps out at you from the Suburb to go along with the weed shops

GHhI1RVWIAMVyir

Photo of the multi-mission bay of HMS Glasgow, currently fitting out. The handling system has yet to be fitted on the overhead rails but I thought it was a good visual on the size of the bay itself. These handling systems are being made at the newly expanded RR Centre of Excellence for Naval Handling Equipment in Ontario.
All I see here is enough room for two additional 24 cell Mk41 VLSs, one on each side, and enough room between them for a second helo.

I guess so, if they ballast down the ship somewhere else.

Why not Mk57 and just use those for non- strike length loads?

The Mk57 was purpose built for the Zumwalt class, but I get your point. I was considering the tactical length Mk41, not the strike lenght. You can put the TLAMs and SM-6s (lol) up front, and fill the sides with SM-2s and ESSM.

Heck, I don't know if they make mk41s in single-cell rows, but you could just line up 12 cells on each side in a single line (similar to the Mk57), and that would give you (imo) a significant improvement in AA capability.

Quite right Lumber. But I have yet to hear, from anyone who would know, how practical two helos one in front of the other would be, as compared to the two helos side by side like we had on the IRO's.

Quite right Lumber. But I have yet to hear, from anyone who would know, how practical two helos one in front of the other would be, as compared to the two helos side by side like we had on the IRO's.
It is a bit of a pain in the ass to swap them around, but we don’t traverse the helos the same way that we did with the Sea King, so not impossible.

Out of curiosity will the chopper be hauled into the hangar on a track or too soon to tell?

Bold to assume there is any weight margins left at delivery.

They would also need some kind of sensor feed, an ops room and other things, and space for all those additional folks on a watch rotation.

Currently looks like it's following the AOPV trend and being delivered with a red deck as well anyway, so think it will be a while before they get any helo cert.

I think it would be feasible to install 3 or 4 mk41 vls tactical modules, that is 24-32 cells for ESSM (quadpacked), SM-2 or even VLA (for ASW) . Either forming a square in the center-line of the multimission bay or arranged in a row, letting still a lot of space on both sides.

This would play against the 2nd helo but would still allow for multiple options for UAVs/loads/containers. I don't think this would have many trade-offs as compared to the 8-modules (64 cells) proposal for Australia, which was said to discard the TAS (IIRC).

Even if only three mk41 modules are installed in a row, in order to keep a port-starboard corridor for the common handling system, this would double the CSC's firepower.

Moreover, i think the EXLS modules behind the funnel could be doubled from 6 to 12, from 24 to 48 CAMM, there is plenty of space there.

These are just thoughts from a non-professionnel.

Bold to assume there is any weight margins left at delivery.
There is a weight dedicated to the area already.

They would also need some kind of sensor feed, an ops room and other things, and space for all those additional folks on a watch rotation.
Feeds from the current VLS could be routed to there as well.

And I suspect that the MMB’s projected inhabitants would already demand folks on watch.

Currently looks like it's following the AOPV trend and being delivered with a red deck as well anyway, so think it will be a while before they get any helo cert.
That’s somewhat disconcerting. As I understood these were designed to be able to land a Hook, so I’d hope they should be able to handle a Cyclone easily. Or are they needing to scavenge parts from the CFP’s to fit the trap’s etc.

It also seems to me that we have far too few helo's to go around in the first place to put 2 on a ship.
As I understand it, there will never, ever again be a production run of Cyclones. So more spaces for helo’s might mean a different, even more unique orphan bird fleet, which is not even funny.

Back