• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

WASHINGTON — Something as seemingly simple as picking the right commercial boat radar could make or break the U.S. Marine Corps’ vision for future operations: small units dispersed on islands and beachheads across contested waters, all looking for enemy ships and planes while gathering information to create a common picture of the theater.

But identifying the best radar is more complex than it sounds, according to Col. Matthew Danner, who leads the Japan-based 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit.

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) recommends the US Special Operations Command (SOCOM) slow down its Armed Overwatch program and conduct further planning and analysis of the command’s actual requirements.

In its latest report on the Armed Overwatch program, GAO found that when SOCOM and the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) conducted their analysis on how many aircraft they would need for the Armed Overwatch program they “relied on unproven assumptions” that don’t justify the number of 75 aircraft that they have requested.

In its assessment titled Special Operations Forces: DOD Should Slow Acquisition of Armed Overwatch Aircraft Until It Conducts Needed Analysis, GAO found that SOCOM and AFSOC could do with a much smaller fleet, though the report didn’t specify exactly how many aircraft would suffice.

The first excerpt pertains to the USMC trying to figure out what they need, what it sufficient, what works in different theatres, what they can get ahold of.

The second excerpt pertains to the SOCOM and AFSOC being told by GAO that they need to precisely define what they are going to use, where, when, why and how and how often otherwise they don't get the money.

Therein lies the gap between Ukraine and the DOD, the MOD and DND/PWGSC/TB.

In a world of 70% solutions the accountants want 100% certainty.

I have no problem accounting for every penny spent after the fact. I have great difficulty in predicting the future with accuracy. There is a need for a 30% contingency fund and firing people who misuse it.

The first excerpt pertains to the USMC trying to figure out what they need, what it sufficient, what works in different theatres, what they can get ahold of.

The second excerpt pertains to the SOCOM and AFSOC being told by GAO that they need to precisely define what they are going to use, where, when, why and how and how often otherwise they don't get the money.

Therein lies the gap between Ukraine and the DOD, the MOD and DND/PWGSC/TB.

In a world of 70% solutions the accountants want 100% certainty.

I have no problem accounting for every penny spent after the fact. I have great difficulty in predicting the future with accuracy. There is a need for a 30% contingency fund and firing people who misuse it.
No, the issue with AFSOC’s Air Support Bird isn’t the accountants. The issue is the fact that only a certain number of theatres they are practical in.

AFSOC wants a larger fleet but cannot explain how they would be employed in certain AO’s. Sure they make sense in Africa, South America, and parts of Asia, but they don’t really have any viability in a Near Peer Conflict, so not as practical in Europe, the Asian land mass, or many parts of the ME.

Logistics Vehicle Modernization preferred bidder announced:

So a Mercedes Truck by GDLS-C, wonder who is getting paid...

Is this both the heavy and light elements of LVM?

Is this both the heavy and light elements of LVM?
From the press release:
Following an open, fair and transparent procurement process, including multiple engagements with industry, Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) has identified General Dynamics Land Systems–Canada as the preferred bidder to provide the CAF with a new fleet of light and heavy logistics vehicles, equipment and in-service support.

So, in addition to covering the transporters and the refuellers you finally have a replacements for the Deuce-and-a-half?

1704911284633.png
1704911734994.png

Would that make a better gun-tractor for the M777?

MSVS is the 2 1/2 replacement. This is the LSVW and HLVW replacement.

MSVS is the 2 1/2 replacement. This is the LSVW and HLVW replacement.

Thanks. I understand that. Without wanting to create confusion, in terms of load handling capacity the LVM-L looks, to my eyes, as comparable to the old Deuce-and-a-Half or MLVW. I appreciate that that which was Heavy is now Medium and Medium is now Light.

And it has to be a massive improvement over the LSVW.

For reference

1704912480165.png

1704912546699.png
1704912630960.png
1704913177221.png
1704913544220.png

1704913248679.png

Do we know if the contract conforms to the 2021 intent?

Attachments

• 1704913220397.png
    1704913220397.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 9
Numbers seem very low. So none for the PRes I guess.

black and white please GIF

I mean 542 Heavy and 1113 Light doesn’t even seem to be a 1:1 replacement of the HL and LS.
That works out to be around 135 / Reg Bde for the HL, and 277 of the LS (1 CMNG, 2 CMBG ,5 Whatever CMBG is in French and 6 CSSB).

Sigh.

So, in addition to covering the transporters and the refuellers you finally have a replacements for the Deuce-and-a-half?

View attachment 82323
View attachment 82324

Would that make a better gun-tractor for the M777?
Only if it has a minimum of 5 ton tow capacity. The thing reminds me of an UNIMOG but with a snout. There do not seem to be any designated as or look configured as gun tractors in either category.

I note 12 arty CPs. That's two per RegF battery and they strike me as unarmoured but capable of being armoured.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed until more facts become available.

🍻

think that given any realistic look at what the CA should be able to field.

1 Armored DIV
DIV HQ Latvia (90/10)
1 CAB Latvia (90/10). 2 Armor Reg with 2 Heavy Inf BN, 2 Armor Engineer Reg’t)
2 CAB Wx (30/70) (2 Armor Reg’t with 2 Heavy Inf BN and 2 Armor Engineer Reg’t)
3 CMB Shilo (30/70) (1 Armor Reg’t with 2 Heavy Infantry BN 1 Armored Engineer Reg’t)
4 CSSB Latvia (70/30)
DIV Spt Bde Latvia (70/30)
Div Spt Bde Canada (split Shilo and Wx) (50/50)
Div Arty Bde (3 24 M109A6 gun Reg’t and a 24 rocket Reg’t) Latvia (50/50)
Div Arty Bde Canada (split Shilo and Wx) (30/70) same config as the deployed Bde.
Yes I put 2 Field Artillery Brigades into the Div
Air Defense Bde Latvia (30/70)

2 CDN Light DIV
5 Canadian Medium Bde Group (or GBMC for @WLSC Valcartier (30/70) LAV 6.0
6 Cdn Para Bde Edmonton (90/10)
7 Canadian Light Bde CFB Merrit BC (30/70)
9 CSSB (Light) British Columbia (50/50)
10 CSSB (Medium) Valcartier/Gagetown (30/70)
DIV Spt Bde Medium Gagetown/Valcartier (50/50)
DIV Spt Bde Light Edmonton (90/10)

Two things I couldn’t fit into the above ‘box’ that I think are needed Corps Arty and Corps Engineering.

All 90/10 and Forward Deployed 70/30 positions are filled to 110% strength using class C Reservists.

Creation of POMCUS type depots in Latvia, Estonia and Poland for the non forward deployed parts of 1 Cdn Armoured DIV. - yes that also mean training equipment in Canada and war stock for both.

I guess the question is whether that's based on our GDP or existing budget and numbers.

I just noticed that You seem to have abandoned Petawawa and the rather large number of reservists in Ontario while allocating more reservists to the Prairies and BC than they have traditionally managed to generate.

Southern Ontario is a natural place for a CAB, but for its lack of ranges. That's why I tend to see annual exercises as fly-over affairs.

🍻

I guess the question is whether that's based on our GDP or existing budget and numbers.

I just noticed that You seem to have abandoned Petawawa and the rather large number of reservists in Ontario while allocating more reservists to the Prairies and BC than they have traditionally managed to generate.

Southern Ontario is a natural place for a CAB, but for its lack of ranges. That's why I tend to see annual exercises as fly-over affairs.

🍻
No, I’m leaving Pet for CANSOF as a training facility. It needs to grow to help Canada’s Gray Zone abilities.

I believe that units should be organized around the country down to Platoon level sub entities (ideally tied into a BN sized structure).

While I put the Para’s in Edmonton, I’m not adverse to having a BN in Trenton…

Remember I’m in Vegas at SHOT, so typing on my iPhone I didn’t get as granular as I ideally would have ;).

Note on the Para Bn’s I’d keep them formed Bn’s in cities with major airports, as you can park a C-17 in Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto (Pearson) without much of a hassle for a brief stint.

But I also believe that each ‘major base’ needs a C-17, MRTT capable runway on base with hangars and mid term support infrastructure (fuel, parts and techs for minor maintenance). That’s just the cost of having a capable IRU force for JEF (which should be in the capability range for a military of Canadian size).

Back