• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

You know that this thread is demonstrating why this problem is not a problem.

Because a couple of dozen heads with a glancing association with the problem and an ability to read are already developing multiple courses of action worth exploiting. If the government does the right thing, which is to say does nothing, and leaves the existing rules in place, then a whole bunch of people will be trying some or all of these ideas and a whole host more in short order. Successful strategies will be copied in rapid succession.

The market will decide if it is high rises and ebikes by subways or its 4 plexes in Peterborough.

The market lacks the ability to increase its work force as rapidly as required by the federal government's immigration policy.

An awful lot of houses for immigrants in the 60s were built by Dutch carpenters and Italian brickies. A lot of the houses in the lower mainland are being built by Sikhs with materials delivered by Sikh truck drivers. I'm currently working with a couple of immigrants from the sub-continent that got here by way of Dubai that aren't waiting for someone else to offer them a job. They have engaged me to help them build their own business to support them.

All they need is opportunity and stability.

And part of that stability means the governments have to stop tinkering with the rule book. Just stop trying to help.

Transit Oriented Development (TOD) is a land use planning thing, at least in Toronto. High(er) density (re)development around rapid transit stations.

A big improvement for us was in 2015. A short Uber ride from the house to the Union - Pearson ( UP ) Express now makes getting to Pearson, or Union, much more convenient.

Looking forward to riding The Northlander when it resumes service from Union to Cochrane in the near future.

A cot in a shared bedroom. $700 a month.

An aging building. About an hour away from central area of the city by transit via two subway lines, a bus, and walking. No balcony, parking, internet etc.

One-bedrooms averaging around $2,620 a month.

A cot in a shared bedroom. $700 a month.

An aging building. About an hour away from central area of the city by transit via two subway lines, a bus, and walking. No balcony, parking, internet etc.

If your target is an international student from India, that's a bargain!

Not so much if you're a Canadian looking for a place to live.

That's one way to free up housing spaces without officially cutting back on immigration or int students. Darth Trudeau remains master strategist.
I actually had the thought this was the intended consequence…

$7,500 per month for a one-bedroom.

Hydro, Cable & Internet are Extra.

$7,500 per month for a one-bedroom.

Yeah, it’s only 1500sq.ft.

Talk about crappy overpriced garbage…oh wait, it’s a condo in the Ritz Carleton…

IMG_2679.jpeg

This makes us feel sorry for someone having to fork out $7,500 for ‘an apartment?’

The good news is that rent in Saskatoon is a third of the rent in Vancouver. The bad news is you have to live in Saskatoon.

Right now, there are people literally living in Winnipeg.

The good news is that rent in Saskatoon is a third of the rent in Vancouver. The bad news is you have to live in Saskatoon.
Could be worse. One could have to live in Regina. :devilish:

An explanation why rent in Brampton is surging 3 times faster than every other city in Canada.

I didn't even need to click the article to figure it out, then I read through it and it confirmed my assumption - Immigration.

The bad news is you have to live in Saskatoon.

I'm glad Canadians have adopted this mentality of avoiding Sask. Keeps it affordable and conservative.

Saskatoon and Regina are awful places to live, you don't want to go there.

Back