• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Considerably more powerful than any of those Countries unfortunately. Absolute scoundrels and criminals but they are really good at it.

Vlad and his Cronies are basically the Juiced up version of "Pepe" Pablo Escobar except they have nukes, way more money & industrial capacity and a security council seat.

pablo escobar GIF

And we all know what happened to ol' Pablo!

Attachments

• pablo.jpg
    pablo.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 10
Related, retired general Leslie asks if we are buying for Ukraine, why are we not buying for us too? Which is a fair question

Well admittedly the UAF has a bit more of an urgent need - and due to Canada’s neglect (negligence) with the Armed Forces the CAF can’t just do a draw down of AA system to send over.
Too bad the ADATS and Skyguards were not just put into storage.

Flowers - 85 men in 1000 tonnes.

I can float 1000 tonnes with a crew of zero and position all 225 that were built in a permanent conveyor from Halifax to Derry with torps, missiles, sonars and UAVs. Add some SSNs underneath and you have a much more secure highway to Europe than was possible in 1943.

Satellites, UAVs and LRPAs over head all the way across. Tankers and Fighters launching from Norway, UK, Iceland, Greenland, Canada and the US.

The modern game looks nothing like the old game with its Condor Gap and Wolf Packs.

"User Friendly" means something. And a lot of technology is geared towards making "User Friendly" kit. That means kit that doesn't require much training.

NLAW and Javelin are popular because they are user friendly.

Guns and tanks and F35s aren't.

But UAVs and Missiles are.
You know it was the side that lost WWII that though along those lines...

They imagined the next Wunderwaffe would be the one that gave them the upper hand over the masses of the Soviets and Western Allies.

"User Friendly" means something. And a lot of technology is geared towards making "User Friendly" kit. That means kit that doesn't require much training.

NLAW and Javelin are popular because they are user friendly.
NLAW isn’t nearly as user friendly as purported.
Heck they bolt a Trijicon ACOG to it as the ranging optic.

If you want user friendly- Javelin says hold my beer, it was designed for the lowest common denominator down here to reliably kill an enemy tank.

Guns and tanks and F35s aren't.

But UAVs and Missiles are.
UAS in poorly trained hands are exceptionally dangerous to friendly forces.
There is no substitute for a well trained and well equipped team.

Related, retired general Leslie asks if we are buying for Ukraine, why are we not buying for us too? Which is a fair question

The minister doesn’t want to answer because the answer is “by some bureaucratic sorcery; we are in a position where for us to arm another nation is more streamline, efficient, and has fewer hoops to jump through.”

The minister doesn’t want to answer because the answer is “by some bureaucratic sorcery; we are in a position where for us to arm another nation is more streamline, efficient, and has fewer hoops to jump through.”
There's already a funded project for GBAD. We could work quicker too with a UOR but that leaves out all the in service issues. Effectively this purchase is even easier than a UOR because we have no need to figure out where to get manning from and can even go light on sustainment leaving that to the Ukrainians.

Not defending the procurement system here. It's indefensible. But buying for Ukraine is dead simple compared to a project to revive a capability. It's just a political statement.

🍻

I imagine the treasury board submission is a whole lot shorter when you don’t have to do the PSPC checklist.

Look on the bright side…we will have a contract with Konigsberg/Raytheon. We could leverage that in the future to deliver us “X“ battery sets…

There's already a funded project for GBAD. We could work quicker too with a UOR but that leaves out all the in service issues. Effectively this purchase is even easier than a UOR because we have no need to figure out where to get manning from and can even go light on sustainment leaving that to the Ukrainians.

Not defending the procurement system here. It's indefensible. But buying for Ukraine is dead simple compared to a project to revive a capability. It's just a political statement.

🍻
That GBAD procurement had a 9 year time line. Maybe I’m just a simple minded man but I can’t imagine how it takes nine years to procure air defence.

That GBAD procurement had a 9 year time line. Maybe I’m just a simple minded man but I can’t imagine how it takes nine years to procure air defence.
If you are asking for an explanation - you are asking the wrong guy. It simply boggles my mind.

😖

I'll sing my same old song...

What's the US using? Is there any legitimate reason the same system won't work for us? No?...let's buy it for the sake of interoperability and logistics.

NLAW isn’t nearly as user friendly as purported.
Heck they bolt a Trijicon ACOG to it as the ranging optic.

If you want user friendly- Javelin says hold my beer, it was designed for the lowest common denominator down here to reliably kill an enemy tank.

UAS in poorly trained hands are exceptionally dangerous to friendly forces.
There is no substitute for a well trained and well equipped team.

Fair enough.

But

If it takes time for people to learn to read English, and more time to learn to drive, gun, load and command, and more time to learn how to work as a team, and more time to learn how to work in a troop, and more time to learn how to work as a squadron, and more time to learn how to work as a combat team, and more to learn how to work as a battlegroup .... how effective are a few squadrons/companies of tanks going to be in changing the rules of the game.

I agree that the best solution is the well trained and well equipped team. Neither the Russians nor the Ukrainians have that option.

So what "toys" are going to be the most effective in the hands available?

Back