• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

That's mixing apples and oranges. We have three manoeuvre brigades and one combat support brigade. 6 CCSB is not a deployable entity in its own right. On top of that you've moved most of its units out to other formations and repurposed some in a way that you will still be short PYs. 4 Fd(GS) is now an AD regiment in another brigade so there is no arty regt to convert to 3 RCHA. You've moved out 21 EW as well and the IA. Your missing an engineer support regiment for the Army because you've converted it to combat engineers. There is no service battalion to assign to the 6th and there is no HQ and signals squadron to assign to the 6th. While you've moved the RCD from the 2nd to the 6th, there is no longer a brigade recce/cavalry capability in the 2nd which limits its employability.

Long story short, you are compromising a very important combat support function in favour of creating four manoeuvre brigades which have no more actual combat power than the three that already exist.

🍻
The CA has no viable CS nor CSS for its light forces, and it never will so long as they live in different houses. Consolidating them allows for establishment of efficient CS and CSS structures. The CA lacks CSS across the board and it is leaning towards plans for a mitosis of the existing service battalions. New PYs are being sought for AD, so that doesn't need to be arty the unit in Gagetown. 4 ESR is set-up well to re-fight the Afghan IED threat, but otherwise it is established like a CER that is missing a field squadron. A four brigade structure allows rebalancing responsibilities for all four Reg F Engr regiments to better focus on both close support and general support capabilities.

Addressing issues related to interprovincial friction are not sexy, but are significant quality of life issues for CAF members as they get moved around Canada during their careers.
I don’t disagree. I had a perfectly good cottage near Petawawa until in 1994 the GoC decided that Patricia’s needed to be out west…
*and I’d like to thank the RCR BSL for sending me to teach in Mudford prior.

But, I found it interesting to see on a day Estonia was getting HIMARS, the major news for the CAF was dealing with internal geographical postings.

But, I found it interesting to see on a day Estonia was getting HIMARS, the major news for the CAF was dealing with internal geographical postings.

One costs significantly less money than the other?

Also, I imagine Estonia is the Ant while we're the Grasshopper; we have "time and space" to push off rearmament, while the Baltics realize all to well the costs of complacency.

There is very recent memories of the effects the Soviet horde brought upon former satellite states, while Canada hasn't been invaded by a foreign country of any real strength since 1814. That invading force is now our largest and most consistent partner in defence, trade, and culture.

Priorities are skewed for sure, but it's hard to change a narrative 200 years in the making...

Canada hasn't been invaded by a foreign country of any real strength since 1814. That invading force is now our largest and most consistent partner in defence, trade, and culture.
Just watch me ;)

I’ll pop up on the Thousand Island Bridge and annex you in the name of progress.

Priorities are skewed for sure, but it's hard to change a narrative 200 years in the making...

And Finland is buying 400 GMLRS missiles for 538 MUSD as well as 380 MUSD worth of Stingers.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Well it appears that nothing has official occurred since 2018 in the CAF...

Well it appears that nothing has official occurred since 2018 in the CAF...

Well, to be fair nothing in the security environment has significantly changed since 2018...right? Right? RIGHT?????

Or they just haven't updated their website, which is more likely.
And/or programs?
One of the issues I have with the CAF is the entirely non transparent way that procurement is conducted (or perhaps not conducted)

People seem to wonder why the CAF has a number of issues finding bidders or industry partners

And/or programs?
One of the issues I have with the CAF is the entirely non transparent way that procurement is conducted (or perhaps not conducted)

People seem to wonder why the CAF has a number of issues finding bidders or industry partners

The Federal Government gets exactly what it leads by way of suppliers, hence some of the recommendations in the Auditor General's report ;)

Here's another napkin to toss on the floor...

More of a consolidation and building a foundation for future growth based on the current poor condition of the CA.

Consolidation and concentration of Ref Force units to help ease the current personnel issues while a focus can be put on modernization of equipment and capabilities. Same for the Reserves - "right sizing" the units and consolidating them under Reg Force command structure. Short term focus will still have to be augmentation, but once all the required elements are in place (training, structure, equipment and legislation) the units can shift toward being deployable.

Force 2025 - Reconstitution 2022.12.png

Back