Author Topic: My personal skills; with various questions - Where to start?  (Read 4120 times)

Online Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
Re: My personal skills; with various questions - Where to start?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 09:23:07 »
I'm also not trying to be some Rainbow Six, Counterstrike, COD whackjob who thinks they are going to go around throwing "Tactical Hatchets" at people like all these freaking nutjob YouTubers living in fantasy land. In all honesty, I freaking hate all of the crap I see on YouTube about the "Tactical" crap, tactical this, tactical that... next thing we'll be seeing is friggen tactical toilet paper and tactical tampons for frick sakes...

You're coming off as that whack job though, wanting to buy your own weapons in case things fail and you can single handedly save everyone.

No, you can not use your own weapons in the military, issued CF weapons only. Pistols aren't given to everyone. 

The gear you are issues is yours while you are in, than it gets returned. You can use some of it like the sleeping bag on your own camping trips. However there are better and lighter gear out there to buy for your own use.

Buying your own gear for military use, again it will vary by unit what is allowed. Also, it isn't restricted to only being green. 

You've never served, never used our equipment or weapons. Might want to just drop the fantasy of whatever you have about modifying and buying all kinds of gear. If you get in, you will figure out what works or doesn't work for you. As well, you will find out what civilian gear or allowed for use.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 20:10:04 »
Mariomike and Lightfighter have both at least offered their opinions, expertise, suggestions and help to literally everything I've asked, I thank both of them for that.

You are welcome. good luck.  :)
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 21:13:55 »
WFlett,

I have been watching this thread evolve over the past few days and, to be honest, the recurring thought that comes to mind is a line from the movie Battleship: “Who do I call to teach you humility.”

You started with a shopping list of desires that only served to illuminate how little time you had spent researching the CAF, on and off this forum, before posting. I can see you've been disabused of some of those, like the need to select either commissioned or non-commissioned service, that Chaplains do not carry weapons, and that personnel within each trade (or “classification” for officers) work and train within the limits of that trade.

You also have a very high opinion of yourself, your skills and your potential. That's good, there's nothing wrong with self-confidence. The flip side to that is that it needs to be balanced by a similarly high degree of self-discipline. You express a personal need for high energy, high stimulation, and a wide variety of experiences. Unfortunately, the CAF does not always offer that, and certainly doesn't line up experiences like that at the desire of the individual. Even the people who have had very varied careers in the service tend to leave out the number of months they spent back in the training system at every transition point. They also leave out the months or years as the developing individual in their new trade or skill area each time they transitioned.

If your eventual goal is to be a special operations assaulter, you best bet may be to join as an infantry soldier. That route will, however, include periods of low intensity activities which will not be stimulating or exciting. Someone has to clean the weapons, vehicles, and the vehicle hangar floor. Those jobs too, are infantry soldiers' work (as they are in many trades). Establishing with your chain of command that you desire more than that is good, but demonstrating that you can accept those mundane tasks time after time and do them well is what demonstrates that a soldier is dependable and ready for greater challenges. When limited opportunities for courses, like para, or recce, or patrol pathfinder come along, there will be proven and dependable soldiers ahead of you who have been waiting for those courses and who will get priority, regardless of whether you feel you are better than they are as individuals. Sucking that up is also part of the long slow years of “paying your dues.”

You may think your assessment of your leadership skills make you a good fit for an officer's commission. But you don't like paperwork. In the military, paperwork is a part of like, for officers from their early days in the military, and for non-commissioned members as soon as they have positions of responsibility (and earlier for some trades like Clerks). That paperwork is essential, and needs to be done right, whether it be planning future training, ordering beans, bullets, and shitters, or writing the justification why one of your soldiers should be considered for a compassionate posting for the benefit of a child's health. Most of that paperwork is also unseen and unrewarded. It's often done after hours when the soldiers have gone home or to bed during training. And it's just as important, and just as much part of being the leader, as saying “Follow me” at the start of an operational mission.

The CAF has lots of opportunities for exciting training, demanding courses, and challenging postings. But the reality is they don't line up for everyone. For every officer who goes to CSOR, a half-dozen go into instructional posting at schools, running training courses at all levels. Even more find themselves in headquarters across the country, manning a desk day after day for years at a time. It's good to have a dream, but it needs to be balanced with a solid understanding of the reality.

Before you start that online recruiting application, you need to ask yourself if you're ready to be sitting in a classroom again, for months at a time for regular force courses, learning basics one step at a time along with the wide range of recruits the CAF brings in. There's no accelerated class for you to ask for. There are no short cuts. And the sergeant who tells you he's going to inspect the training platoon at the end of the day on Friday won't care if you have a scheduled wing-suit lesson.

Are you ready to slow down, suck back, and take the CAF's training at the pace it is delivered. Are you ready to show dedication, perseverance, and commitment to duty for the years it may take before you have a chance to go on one of those high-speed low-drag courses, or to apply to join a special operations unit? Are you ready to head home with a stack of course training files to review and write course assessments on your students on your own time? Are you ready to sit at a headquarters desk processing other units' training requests?

All of those things are also work challenges that face CAF members every day. And each of them are jobs that need to be done well, each and every day, but they are without the excitement and energy you tell us you thrive on.

It great to want to a rock star and to seek that opportunity, but the road to that opportunity is long, slow, and fraught with the possibility of missed chances. Frankly, the day to day work, training, and operations of the CAF aren't dependent upon the rock stars. The real need is people who can fit in, maintain stability, and further the interests and goals of the institution one small step at a time. Sometimes, the real rock stars are those who quietly study and identify issues, and solve those problems (some of which may have existed for years before them) without it ever being public knowledge.

If you're looking to contribute to the CAF, we have a place for you. If you see the CAF as merely a life experience opportunity with lofty goals for the range of things you wish to do, I predict you will be sorely disappointed, and that it will start quickly after joining and build to intolerable levels if you don't control it.

Good luck with your decision, keep studying and analyzing your options, but also look between the high points and ask yourself how you're going to do when life gets slow in the military, and next week is going to look a lot like last week with no missions on the horizon. Operational missions get a lot of attention, the work done to hold the institution together and be prepared to develop the forces needed for the next mission seldom do.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 21:53:53 »
I'm locking this up. There's nothing further to gain by antagonizing the OP.

WFlett: Your posts come across as literally every military stereotype, that's why you're getting a hard time. Most of the questions you have are answered here already. You're also in no position to decide who should or shouldn't serve in the CAF until you've actually served yourself, despite all of your civilian qualifications.