Author Topic: Introducing MilPoints- Merged  (Read 84459 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Introducing MilPoints
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 21:21:04 »
Hope you gave him a good tongue lashing  ;D

I was giving drill en francais monsieur ... weapons were present - I couldn't slip back into english that quickly. I don't speak french ... I was concentrating really hard on what I was doing (but really, I would have stopped to YELL at him - had the BRSM not been there; I may be dumb, but I am far from stupid!!  ;)). But, I was sooooo wishing that I was him up there rucking instead.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 21:30:03 »
You can all laugh now, but the mod (or Mike) who laughs last will be the one who comes in here and deletes all these posts, sending our "scores" plumetting lower than my morale went today as I was yelling during parade practice and a certain engineer doing his BFT marched by laughing at us.  >:(

We weren't laughing, but saying sucks to be them  ;D
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 21:59:36 »
Well, there was talk of a Deal with ZOOM.   >:D

Ooooh George.  That's harsh.  I think I may have to drain some more from my single malt stash just to relax a bit after yesterday.  May have to deduct a few points from you just for stressing me out with that remark.   >:D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 23:09:40 »
Do we get bonus points for posting from the Tim's at Pet on a Friday Night? ;D
So, there I was....

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2008, 00:33:43 »

Only if you send us all a double double :D
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 01:29:49 »

Nope. You just get to feel awful about your life when it hits you that you're at Tims, in Pet, on a Friday night.  ;D
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:26 »
Let me take a crack at answering some questions here... Posts in Radio Chatter don't count. When a mod deletes a post or thread, the user who made the post loses the points, but the mod should lose nothing (unless it was his own post).

For the online time, it started yesterday when I enabled the system, and if you had XXX hours and 59 minutes in your tally, you'd earn 20 MilPoints by hanging around an extra minute. Retroactive hours online don't count, just the new ones. Every time your time online crosses another hour boundary, you'll get 20 points.

Yes, subscribers are at a bit of a disadvantage with the ads... I'll have to see what I can do about that... likely a subscriber bonus for signing up or maintaining your membership.

Thinks for me to do:

• add MilPoints links to the dropdown menu.
  • Looking at the  statistics, the links for everyone's 'MP' is dead.
  • Access MilPoints history from the profile.
  • Add a global history page
  • Take you to a member's MilPoints page when you click on the MP logo next to their name on the statistics page.

(I'm not at home right now so I just need to keep track of all this until I am.)

Keep the questions and comments coming!

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2008, 08:47:49 »
Q:What can I do with my MilPoints?
A:Currently, nothing but marvel at your rising balance. There are plans in the works though, so please be patient. In the mean time rack 'em up!

So what are these plans? Or are we allowed to know? :D

-Dead

Edit: Mike do you think that one should get points when they vote in a poll? Get 2 Points like if someone clicks on an add or something?

Edit again because I can't spell ::)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:28:32 by Deadpan »
I am the one and only

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2008, 08:57:29 »
So what are these plans? Or are we aloud allowed to know? :D

Sorry...one of my pet peeves!  :P

(Extra points for checking grammar? ;))
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. ~ Malcolm X

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2008, 09:00:17 »
Actualy ...

That's an awesome idea!!

+10 points for clicking "check spelling" (of course that wouldn't cut down on your noted "aloud" as it is a proper word, but a whole lot of posts would look a whole lot better around here!!).
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2008, 09:05:17 »
Actualy ...

That's an awesome idea!!

+10 points for clicking "check spelling" (of course that wouldn't cut down on your noted "aloud" as it is a proper word, but a whole lot of posts would look a whole lot better around here!!).

True. Homonyms are a problem.  Maybe 2 points for "previewing" your own post, which might encourage people to read what they are about to post and correct their own errors? (Here is the teacher in me coming out. ;))
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. ~ Malcolm X

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2008, 09:07:34 »
True. Homonyms are a problem.  Maybe 2 points for "previewing" your own post, which might encourage people to read what they are about to post and correct their own errors? (Here is the teacher in me coming out. ;))

In today's age of MSN speak, I'm not so sure that most of them would even recognize their own errors to effect a correction of them - unfortunately.

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline uncle-midget-Oddball

Back to work in one week... Finally.

• I dance on street corners for money.
  • Rate Post
  • Why dont you knock it off with them negative waves
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:26 »

but a whole lot of posts would look a whole lot better around here!!).

They shore wood.

Midget
What are you doing?

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Offline Mr.Newf

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2008, 09:29:56 »
They shore wood.

Midget
You mean "Day shore wood," right? ;D

But that is a very good idea Vern has.

-Dead
I am the one and only

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:25 »
You mean "Day shore wood," right? ;D

But that is a very good idea Vern has.

-Dead

It was not my idea, celetic girl came up with it.  ;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Mr.Newf

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2008, 09:33:02 »
Yes yes of course. She may have had the original idea, but you ran with it ;)

-00Dead ;)
I am the one and only

Offline uncle-midget-Oddball

Back to work in one week... Finally.

• I dance on street corners for money.
  • Rate Post
  • Why dont you knock it off with them negative waves
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2008, 09:42:21 »
It's a good idea yes. However, only as long as there aren't any spelling mistakes in the post afterwards.

I think I can probably count the number of times I've actually clicked on 'Spell check' on one hand since becoming a member here.
I try to keep my posts, and mostly all things written/typed as grammatically correct as possible, which is strange, because whenever I'm out back sitting around the fire or just talking with buds, my grammar is horrible. :blotto:

Midget
What are you doing?

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2008, 09:44:47 »

Yes.  She was much faster than me to post, so my recommendation of -1 point per spelling mistake wasn't posted.  That would, of course, include MSN Speak; but not include recognized abbreviations.  Some people would make one mistake and -1 wouldn't be to significant; but others would loose in the range of -10 to -50.  

Should we also include:

Posting in a font colour that makes your message unreadable;
     Poor Grammar;
     Run-on sentences;
     Lack of proper quotes; and
     Silly post without a Search;

etc. in with the "deduction of points list"?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2008, 09:49:12 »
It's a good idea yes. However, only as long as there aren't any spelling mistakes in the post afterwards.

I think I can probably count the number of times I've actually clicked on 'Spell check' on one hand since becoming a member here.
I try to keep my posts, and mostly all things written/typed as grammatically correct as possible, which is strange, because whenever I'm out back sitting around the fire or just talking with buds, my grammar is horrible. :blotto:

Midget

I rarely click on spellcheck either, but that's why you'll see a great number of my posts with an "edited" line underneath them after I've gone back to correct typos etc. I guess that means that I don't 'preview' my posts either.

Ergo that ability to actually "recognize" a mistake when it hits me upside the head. No one is perfect, but it'll certainly cut down on the bad bad bad spelling around here. Some posts are unrecognizeable/unreadable due to the volume of MSN speak and typos within them; spellcheck may not pick up the homonynms, but at least we'll recognize the word for what's it's intent was - it may not be proper grammar, but at least it becomes decipherable.

Oh, and edited to add:  I'm from the Miramichi ... you should hear me in person!!  >:D 

Also, sorry celticgirl --- I had a typo earlier and you thus morphed in celeticgirl; spellcheck wasn't good with either of them -- I hit "ignore".  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:51:48 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline stryte

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2008, 10:08:18 »
Should we also include:

Posting in a font colour that makes your message unreadable;
     Poor Grammar;
     Run-on sentences;
     Lack of proper quotes; and
     Silly post without a Search;

etc. in with the "deduction of points list"?

Any undesirable posts that would have you as DS inform the user of their errors or of the expectation of users on this site should in my opinion result in a loss of MilPoints.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13:32 »
All points automatically lost and a months banishment for using "methinks".
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2008, 11:27:53 »
All points automatically lost and a months banishment for using "methinks".

Oh come now, that is a valid English word. ;)

Also, sorry celticgirl --- I had a typo earlier and you thus morphed in celeticgirl; spellcheck wasn't good with either of them -- I hit "ignore".  ;D

-10 points for spelling my username incorrectly!  >:D

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2008, 11:29:18 »

-10 points for spelling my username incorrectly!  >:D

In the same vein, refering to dapaterson as dataperson.   ;D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34:19 »
Though MilPoints will be (automatically?) deducted when a new topic or post is removed by the DS, does anything happen when a DS either moves a topic to another (more appropriate) category or adds it to an already existing thread on the subject?  Sometimes the circumstances may not warrant some sort of penalty for a good faith error, but sometimes it should.  Perhaps there should be a mechanism for the DS to "dock points" for such violations  without it being reflected in an individual DS's account.

(I should have started another post with this further thought in order to get more points)

Is there any automatic deduction or other MilPoints action for pers who enter the warning system?  It would seem to be a logical consequence of their actions.  At the least, there should be a restriction on their ability to (negatively) assess another member.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline kratz

Merry Christmas.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2008, 12:08:28 »
I think members on the warning system should be allowed to rate others. Yes, the individual has broken the rules, but the warning system is there to allow them to participate and show that they continue to be valued members. There is not a need to heap punishment onto them. There will be a portion of those on the warning system who are out to retaliate, but the MP system costs 30points to rate someone down 10points. More often than not, the retaliation will be a bump down for someone and not worth a change to the system.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.