Author Topic: Introducing MilPoints- Merged  (Read 83857 times)

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Introducing MilPoints
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 19:57:53 »
Do a search.

Didn't you just say that you should loose points for posts like that  ???
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 19:59:16 »
Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Offline Kyle Burrows

• I'm Batman
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Barking out orders"
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 19:59:49 »
This is an interesting concept.  The fact you lose to reward others might help to balance out people.
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-- February 1955 Combat Forces Journal

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 20:01:29 »
This is an interesting concept.  The fact you lose to reward others might help to balance out people.
It is. It's better then the +1 an -1 of before (or Karma, as on other forums).

-Dead
I am the one and only

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 20:21:33 »
The link is in this topic, and in a topic that is also accessed through this topic.  Where else is it? 

It would make it easier to view if it was in a drop-down menu, maybe with the admin or information features?  Also, it would be nice to be able to access one's own MP history through our profiles instead of having to look at a post to click on 'MP' there.

As well, looking at the statistics, the links for everyone's 'MP' is dead.

But for being a year in the making, it's looking very well Mike.  Heck, it took 10 years for the new ruck and look where that's at.  ;)
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 20:24:37 »
It would make it easier to view if it was in a drop-down menu, maybe with the admin or information features?  Also, it would be nice to be able to access one's own MP history through our profiles instead of having to look at a post to click on 'MP' there.

As well, looking at the statistics, the links for everyone's 'MP' is dead.

But for being a year in the making, it's looking very well Mike.  Heck, it took 10 years for the new ruck and look where that's at.  ;)

I don't see a link in there to "everyone" ... but holy crap!! Chapeski is at -5 already.  :o  Supply Techs ... always pissing people off.  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 20:26:51 »
These types of rankings, no matter how honest they seem, can be "false indicators".  We can have an arsehole online for a long period of time, gaining points merely for being online, and starting or posting crap and at the same time we can have a poster who posts occasionally, isn't online that much, but whose posts are thoughtful, enlightening, and interesting, but still not in the high percentile when it comes to ranking.  

In the end, one will have to look at the posts that a person makes to judge their merit.  Even a newbie, with less than 100 points, can make a post that is brilliant; while a longtime member can make a series of extremely poor posts.

'But then again, what percentile of the readership is going to pay attention to either the ranking, or a person's posting history?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 20:27:17 »
I don't see a link in there to "everyone" ... but holy crap!! Chapeski is at -5 already.  :o  Supply Techs ... always pissing people off.  >:D

Okay, not 'everyone', but all the people that are on the lists! :P

Notice too, that those with the same totals are in a different order on each list?
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Mr.Newf

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 20:29:27 »
A year in the making?! I missed that when Mike posted.

Most have been really Opsec, since I have bombarded him with things that could be added to the site and stuff :D

These types of rankings, no matter how honest they seem, can be "false indicators".  We can have an arsehole online for a long period of time, gaining points merely for being online, and starting or posting crap and at the same time we can have a poster who posts occasionally, isn't online that much, but whose posts are thoughtful, enlightening, and interesting, but still not in the high percentile when it comes to ranking.  

In the end, one will have to look at the posts that a person makes to judge their merit.  Even a newbie, with less than 100 points, can make a post that is brilliant; while a longtime member can make a series of extremely poor posts.

'But then again, what percentile of the readership is going to pay attention to either the ranking, or a person's posting history?

I agree with that quite a bit. (Funny I thought about myself when I read that ;D)

-Dead
I am the one and only

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 20:32:15 »

So true that ...

Date User Amount Description

2008-08-29 16:40:31 Chapeski -15 DELETED Post: Re: Introducing MilPoints
2008-08-29 16:39:23 Chapeski 10 Re: Introducing MilPoints

And it turns out that Chapeski nailed himself by deleting his post that Mich quoted earlier in this thread --- or did one of you mods delete it!!??  >:D

:-*

So there's another question for you Mike,

If a mod deletes a member's useless post -- is the mod losing points for that ... or is the member??  ???

As a test case ... a mod should delete some useless post of mine --- just so we can see how it shows up. I'm quite OK with that.   ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 20:35:17 »
So true that ...

And it turns out that Chapeski nailed himself by deleting his post that Mich quoted earlier in this thread --- or did one of you mods delete it!!??  >:D

:-*

So there's another question for you Mike,

If a mod deletes a member's useless post -- is the mod losing points for that ... or is the member??  ???

As a test case ... a mod should delete some useless post of mine --- just so we can see how it shows up. I'm quite OK with that.   ;D

I already split off one of my posts and a "double post" from another member.  When I deleted that "New Topic" I lost 30 points, as did that other member.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 20:51:22 »
Well.  That worked.  I deleted Vern's post as she requested.  She dropped 15 points, and anyone who wants can check her "standings" by clicking on the "MP".  My score was unrewarded.....  :-[

(I wonder if Mike was subliminally thinking of Military Police when he thought this up?   ;D )

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 20:57:56 »
2008-08-29 20:46:55 ArmyVern -15 DELETED Post: Re: Introducing MilPoints

No, that's good. At least it didn't deduct points from you too for deleting the post!!  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 21:01:01 »

No, that's good. At least it didn't deduct points from you too for deleting the post!!  >:D

I suppose that I can "promote" you for being such an understanding member and such and such and replenish your points for the little contribution to the topic by conducting this experiment and all......  ;D

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 21:02:44 »
I suppose that I can "promote" you for being such an understanding member and such and such and replenish your points for the little contribution to the topic by conducting this experiment and all......  ;D

Spread the wealth ...  :P
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 21:03:11 »
How many MilPoints for a free plane ticket?

Offline Mr.Newf

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 21:05:06 »
How many MilPoints for a free plane ticket?
How much money do you think Mike gets from us?

I mean, even if we did have MilAirlines, I bet the food would suck, seating terrible, and it'd be hard to even get a ticket :D

-Dead
I am the one and only

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 21:05:46 »
Spread the wealth ...  :P

Guess I'll have to stay online for several days to get above the 10 point mark.

Max

I think that would take 20 years on the old Retirement Plan.   ;D  

25 years of posting on this new plan.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 21:07:03 »

I'm going to let my subscription expire ... (it's due next month again, I think) just so I can sit here all night while you all sleep and rack up 2 points for every advertisement I click!!  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 21:07:47 »

I mean, even if we did have MilAirlines, I bet the food would suck, seating terrible, and it'd be hard to even get a ticket :D

-Dead

Well, there was talk of a Deal with ZOOM.   >:D

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 21:10:21 »

Whoooaaa!! Didn't they cash in all their Air Miles yesterday?? I think that you're trying to rip us off.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 21:11:14 »
I'm going to let my subscription expire ... (it's due next month again, I think) just so I can sit here all night while you all sleep and rack up 2 points for every advertisement I click!!  >:D

But that's cheating  ;D
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Mr.Newf

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 21:11:24 »
:rofl:

Darn, I have to wait until next year for that to happen, but I don't think it will ;)

-Deadpan
I am the one and only

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 21:15:09 »
You can all laugh now, but the mod (or Mike) who laughs last will be the one who comes in here and deletes all these posts, sending our "scores" plumetting lower than my morale went today as I was yelling during parade practice and a certain engineer doing his BFT marched by laughing at us.  >:(
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 21:17:21 »
Hope you gave him a good tongue lashing  ;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,