Author Topic: Warning regarding Big Bad John (John Melvin Hill)  (Read 146354 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Warning regarding Big Bad John (John Melvin Hill)
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:27:59 »
All,

It is with regret that I must inform you that former Army.ca member Big Bad John appears to have misstated some facts and led people astray. Many of the personal facts presented by John Hill (AKA Sean Hill) did not add up under scrutiny, and many claims he made seemed "too good to be true." Mr. Hill has recently erased all tracks of himself from this site.

If anyone still has contact with Mr. Hill, especially if financial or personal information is involved, I strongly urge you to proceed with caution. His last known e-mail addresses is tinmanjohn57@sympatico.ca, and he has been known to use cobhman@campus.ie previously.

John, if the information I have is somehow in error, you know how to contact me to set the record straight.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:06:51 by Mike Bobbitt »

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Warning regarding Big Bad John (John Hill)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 12:15:39 »
As an additional note to the membership, the Staff has been on to BigBadJohn for quite some time now.  So far, through informal, discreet searches we've drawn a blank on his claims.  However, do to his rather innocuous claims (none of the "I was a sniper and killed a division with my KFS" types that we are used to) and his claim of foreign service, we've been having trouble getting 100% verification through back-door, discrete checks.  We are now in the process of doing a public verification and should be able to fill out our case against this guy.

We were monitoring him and weren't really surprised when he pulled plug here.  We hope to solve this story once and for all in the near future, as BigBadJohn was a fairly active member here for some time.  This should serve as a warning to everyone to watch for those they meet on the internet (or in real life, as many of have), as they may not be all they are saying they are.

Stay tuned.

Infanteer.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 15:15:07 »
As you can see, members sometimes try to hide their activities and identities:

All,

It is with regret that I must inform you that former Army.ca member Big Bad John appears to have misstated some facts and led people astray.

Previous records show his profile prior to his changes on departure:

Name:  big bad john
Position:  Army.ca Subscriber
IP:  ##############
Hostname:  Ottawa-HSE-ppp264735.sympatico.ca
Date Registered:  February 06, 2005, 17:16:27
Last Active:  ##########

Unit:   
MOC:   
Mil Exp:  23 years Royal Marines

Notes:  Security clearence came through! In the Defense Industry.

Email:  tinmanjohn57@sympatico.ca
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 15:56:07 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:23:01 »
Folks,

A year to the day after posting the original warning, I have an update. CTV's W-FIVE will be airing a piece on "cyber sharks" this Saturday, November 3rd at 1900 ET, and John Hill will be included in this segment.

I encourage everyone to watch and draw their own conclusions.

Cheers
Mike

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:16:18 »
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,67032.0.html
 Oakville Meet & Greet - 3 NOVEMBER - THE KINGS ARMS

Gee, I wonder if the bar will mind if we shut off HNIC for W-5? ;D

Like Whiskey replied in Ottawa last spring when I asked what he that of his whole defence/ marines story?......."This guys a f#&*ing a@$hole!!"
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 13:00:58 »
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,67032.0.html
 Oakville Meet & Greet - 3 NOVEMBER - THE KINGS ARMS

Gee, I wonder if the bar will mind if we shut off HNIC for W-5?

That's okay, Bruce, we can always catch it on CTV Broadband later.  I, for one, plan on watching it.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 14:50:42 »
I know I will. Obviously our fearless leader Mr.Bobbit is in the know about something. As 0
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 15:05:59 »
Moe, Wasn't he at the Meet and Greet in Kingston this summer?
How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 15:57:11 »
This burns me. I asked questions regarding the Royal Marines and the vague answers he gave me were due to "operational security" wich is fine, i can accept it but to find out this idiot didn't even serve? Or am I missing the picture here?
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 16:04:10 »
This burns me. I asked questions regarding the Royal Marines and the vague answers he gave me were due to "operational security" wich is fine, i can accept it but to find out this idiot didn't even serve? Or am I missing the picture here?

He MAY have served......somewhere, doing......something. I think there was talk he may have been a cook, not sure though.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 16:06:30 »
Hey, and for us members who can't access this, could someone post an AAR to brief us, ha! Wouldn,t mind to catch the goss on this.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 16:15:46 »
Hey, and for us members who can't access this, could someone post an AAR to brief us, ha! Wouldn,t mind to catch the goss on this.

Cheers,

Wes

(seriousness of the matter aside)

Your AAR

How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 16:19:53 »
I just saw him being accosted on CTV Newsnet during a commercial.

"So you didn't think you were destroying lives?" was the question ans he hurried away.

Made my stomach twist into a knot.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 16:21:03 »
Actually I think I have seen that clip as well. Is that him?
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 16:23:01 »
Yep....          >:(
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 16:30:46 »
I am a little lost on this subject on BBJ?

He is on the news because of Army.ca?
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 16:31:15 »
What is thed latest poop on our resident poser??

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 16:44:01 »
Im with Crow on this one, I am really new to this site, but it sounds like this man lied alot to alot of people, including the news? If it isnt too much of a touchy subject can someone fill us new guys in one the full story?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 17:05:35 »
A year to the day after posting the original warning, I have an update.

Wow.  Amazing that a year has gone by already.  And thanks for the info on the show Mike.  I'm planning on being in Oakville at the meet, but will for sure try to catch it at some point.

As for the people that are out of the loop, I don't know what to say.  I mean, there are lots of us who could tell you all kinds of things, but my personal opinion is that you should watch the show if you're interested and as Mike said, draw your own conclusions.  I think saying much more by anyone would lead to alot more speculation and rumours and stories.  Not saying that it can all be wrong to talk about it, but it also dredges up some moments that some may prefer to leave alone.  To put it short, he was a regular on the site here, became a friend of many members of the boards and is now no longer a member.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 17:07:15 »
Moe, Wasn't he at the Meet and Greet in Kingston this summer?

Definitely not!!! I believe you may have mistaken him for my friend, Bob.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline JBoyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 17:11:58 »
Wow.  Amazing that a year has gone by already.  And thanks for the info on the show Mike.  I'm planning on being in Oakville at the meet, but will for sure try to catch it at some point.

As for the people that are out of the loop, I don't know what to say.  I mean, there are lots of us who could tell you all kinds of things, but my personal opinion is that you should watch the show if you're interested and as Mike said, draw your own conclusions.  I think saying much more by anyone would lead to alot more speculation and rumours and stories.  Not saying that it can all be wrong to talk about it, but it also dredges up some moments that some may prefer to leave alone.  To put it short, he was a regular on the site here, became a friend of many members of the boards and is now no longer a member.

I understand, I have seen that type of situation before and I am sure I can kind of gather what may have happened. What kind of had me thrown is how this person would be covered in a show about 'cyber sharks?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 17:25:20 »
I wish I had printed [links long dead] some of his "Plenty-o-Fish" write-ups...........trust us, he's a "cyber shark."

EDIT: Ha!...not as dumb as I thought I was. [Did you all read Roy Hardings post about the long memory of some of the Mod staff here? >:D]

[1] and taken from a post,
MEETING SOMEONE OFFLINE...OMG A LITTLE SCARY....LOOK HERE
Posted: 2/2/2005 10:55:37 PM
I just started to "talk" to a woman on this site last weekend. She lives about 1500 miles from me. I mentioned that I would be in her city next week on business, so we arranged to meet.

Now I work in IT, so I am online a lot. I started to get IM's from hotmail 10 or 12 times a day. Calls too. Then she started to question if I really was working or just avoiding her when I could not "chat".

I have broken the date, and changed hotels. I do consulting work for the Canadian Military, so for the first time I am saying, Thank God for the MP's on the gate. :rofl:

Funny but weird.

[2]
Finding out what you do for a living ceases conversation......
Posted: 1/25/2005 11:12:58 PM
I'm new here, but I've encountered the opposite. Up until 2 years ago I worked in "good" job at Microsoft. I mostly still hung around with people from my former profession (Royal Marines). When I'd go with these friends and we'd meet women. Some women would be very uninterested, because they thought that I was "just another bootneck" Once they found out I was at MS, some just fell over themselves trying to attract me.
Very pityful. If someone can't accept me for me...they have no interest for me.

IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline JBoyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 17:30:35 »

[2]
Finding out what you do for a living ceases conversation......
Posted: 1/25/2005 11:12:58 PM
I'm new here, but I've encountered the opposite. Up until 2 years ago I worked in "good" job at Microsoft. I mostly still hung around with people from my former profession (Royal Marines). When I'd go with these friends and we'd meet women. Some women would be very uninterested, because they thought that I was "just another bootneck" Once they found out I was at MS, some just fell over themselves trying to attract me.
Very pityful. If someone can't accept me for me...they have no interest for me.

Personally I find this one ammusing :), I would say they would most likely have not been attracted to him for personal apperance reasons, rather then previous job experience. It has been my experience that women tend to like the soldier type, due to a feeling of personal security, that and i dont know many women that does not appreciate a man in uniform. but that is just my experiences.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 18:27:03 »
My question is:

is there a link between Army.ca and Cybersharks (W5)?

I am so curious!~
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 18:43:21 »
is there a link between Army.ca and Cybersharks (W5)?

Hill was a member of army.ca and Hill is going to be in a segment on the show.  Enough of a link?
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea