Author Topic: How will USA respond to Canada's terrible NAFTA demands? (split fm CF-188 Replacement)  (Read 1053 times)

Offline AlexanderM

• Rate Post
  • Resident George Constanza

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The end to RTW in the US would be a massive equalizer for Canada in terms of labour competitiveness. 

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
The end to RTW in the US would be a massive equalizer for Canada in terms of labour competitiveness.

And very unlikely to happen. A US Federal law banning RTW would be heavily fought by the states that have already enacted such laws. Besides, nobody's going to waste their limited political capital until the US Supreme Court decision on Janus v AFSCME -- a ruling which is expected in 2018, and which is likely to go on the side of RTW. Such a ruling is probably expected by all involved -- the ruling would give the US a chance to say "sorry Canada, we'd love to help you on that NAFTA proposal, but the judges say it's against our constitution, and our hands are tied".

At this point, it's probably more likely that the RTW trend becomes stronger with the new version of NAFTA, and labour unions continue to weaken in all three nations.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
How will USA respond to Canada's terrible NAFTA demands?!

Much like any card shark once they realize your are trying to bluff them with a pair of duces.....
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Ending the RTW laws would a massive gift to the unions
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
We are expending precious political capital in trying to dictate to another sovereign nation what laws they will apply internally.  Harper was absolutely correct.  NAFTA is not a tool for effecting social change and it is naive and short-sighted of Trudeau to approach it in this manner.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
We are expending precious political capital in trying to dictate to another sovereign nation what laws they will apply internally.  Harper was absolutely correct.  NAFTA is not a tool for effecting social change and it is naive and short-sighted of Trudeau to approach it in this manner.

You are absolutely right and its interesting that when Trudeau and the Liberals first proposed their ideas commentators over at the National Post where wondering if it was Trudeau who was trying to scuttle NAFTA.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The US congress has to approve the repeal of NAFTA.

I don't see that happening.

So if these NAFTA talks fail,  and it appears that the Mexicans,  Canadians and Americans want that at this point,  then the US congress would need to kill the deal.

On the off chance that happens,  wouldn't the Canada US free trade deal,  suspended when NAFTA was ratified,  then just come back into effect?

I don't really blame Canada here,  this is simply Trump wanting to try to kill the deal that he campaigned against when running for president.

Look at the American demands,  they are as ridiculous and outrageous as the Canadian ones.

The Americans want to do away with 3rd party conflict resolution. They want a a sunset clause in the deal so that every country needs to go through this every 5 years.

The only way to save NAFTA is for the US congress to exercise a bit of common sense.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
The US demands aren't outrageous, they're just horribly one-sided and designed to play hardball. They know they won't get them, which is why they're starting at an extreme and working to compromise. What happens in the Trudeau team decides to trade 3rd party resolution for an unenforceable women's rights clause? Or some other garbage social justice line that shouldn't be anywhere near a trade agreement?

Trying to change another country's social policies through a trade agreement is the mostly asinine thing I've ever heard of, and makes a mockery of the negotiation process.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The US demands aren't outrageous, they're just horribly one-sided and designed to play hardball. They know they won't get them, which is why they're starting at an extreme and working to compromise. What happens in the Trudeau team decides to trade 3rd party resolution for an unenforceable women's rights clause? Or some other garbage social justice line that shouldn't be anywhere near a trade agreement?

Trying to change another country's social policies through a trade agreement is the mostly asinine thing I've ever heard of, and makes a mockery of the negotiation process.
  Everything I've read about the negotiations seem to show that the Americans are going a little further than playing hardball,  it seems that they are springing unrealistic and one sided demand after another.

From what I gather they aren't serious about getting a deal done anymore than the Mexican delegation or the Canadian one.

As far as I can tell,  Trump wants NAFTA to die,  he campaigned on it,  this "renegotiation " is how he plans to kill it and congress is the only one who can save it.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
We have a better chance of getting a deal done if we ditch Mexico. A lot of the sticking points are going to be because of the abysmal wages there, which drive manufacturing south (Ontario's issue is high wages and extreme hydro rates, driving jobs to the US). You'd see a lot of the country of origin stuff disappear if Mexico wasn't part of the equation.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
On the off chance that happens,  wouldn't the Canada US free trade deal,  suspended when NAFTA was ratified,  then just come back into effect?
I understand that it was legislated into suspension and would have to be legislated out of suspension.  What are the chances that a US that is willing to let NAFTA die would be a US ready to unsuspend our previous agreement?