Author Topic: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES  (Read 128700 times)

Offline kamael

• Rate Post
Re: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2016, 03:07:35 »
Hello,

I just joined the army PRES and got my kit. I am going on BMQ on Monday 20, but my unit didn't send me a kit list. Since nobody is working there until Monday, there is no hope that I will receive it until its too late (I have to leave at 830 AM on monday, the same time the regiment's office opens). Could anybody forward me the kit list for PRES? I was thinking of taking all of my kit in case I receive no information.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2016, 09:27:57 »
I was thinking of taking all of my kit in case I receive no information.

You may find this discussion of interest,

Reserve BMQ - What to bring?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=101439.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:40:56 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2016, 14:36:15 »
Hello,

I just joined the army PRES and got my kit. I am going on BMQ on Monday 20, but my unit didn't send me a kit list. Since nobody is working there until Monday, there is no hope that I will receive it until its too late (I have to leave at 830 AM on monday, the same time the regiment's office opens). Could anybody forward me the kit list for PRES? I was thinking of taking all of my kit in case I receive no information.

Thanks to everyone in advance

I'd bring everything. Some of it you won't need I.E ICE Pants/ICE Jacket, Winter gloves, Toque etc because it is summer. But on my basic we had to show that physically had every piece of kit we signed for.. I'd pack it smarter, like i'd throw all of the obvious winter stuff in the barrack box and pack everything for the summer, in the two duffels..

You don't want to be that guy who "didn't think that we were going to need it"  especially on basic.

Offline rusty1002

• Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2016, 13:23:52 »
Hello, I am currently 15 going onto 16 soon and want to join the Canadian reserves. I am only heading into Grade 10 this year. I wasent held back I was just raised in a different country for a short time. will the fact that i'm only going into Grade 10 this year affect my chances of getting in?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2016, 13:30:36 »
I am only heading into Grade 10 this year.

Education

To apply to the Forces you must have passed Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec). http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#education

For reference, perhaps this will be merged with,

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=16735.125
7 pages.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 13:39:55 by mariomike »

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2016, 19:21:51 »
Can you join your local reserves after you've applied for the regular force? And then transition to the regular force once your given a job offer? Given how long the process takes with the regular force I'm not seeing a problem in doing this...or am I wrong?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2016, 19:23:44 »
You're wrong. One process will stop the other. Don't waste the Reserve unit's time and effort if you just plan on immediately going to the Regular Force.

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2016, 19:31:10 »
I see. Thanks for the reply

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2016, 22:05:59 »
Likewise the time to transfer once you are already in the reserves makes whatever money/experience you make not worth it.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2016, 23:59:29 »
do NOT join the reserve to transfer , been there , done that , worst decision anyone could make !!!

"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:03 »
Adding for Reference,

Pay during Fall BMQ(Reserves)
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123906.0/topicseen.html

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2016, 15:25:24 »
For reference,

Reserve Question - Training 

I have been looking in joining the reserve for a while now and I have decided to join. The main reason I am posting this is I am currently employed at a job that requires me to work (40 hrs/week) and I was wondering with the Training required for any position in the Canadian Armed Forces would it be possible for me to join?

Good Day,

Training requirements for the Primary Reserve vary depending on the unit you're joining and the occupation that you would like to become.  Unfortunately we cannot give a simple answer to your query above.  I highly suggest that you visit the Reserve unit that you're interested in joining and speak with the unit recruiter and the individuals at that unit.

Just as an example, the Naval Reserve only does Summer BMQ where you have to be gone for 8 weeks.  The Army Reserve has co-op BMQ, weekend BMQ and summer BMQ.  Beyond that each trade has it's own training time, some occupations have really short courses (2-3 weeks) for their trade course, others can be closer to 3-4 months for the Reserves.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2016, 01:17:30 »
Just curious xD
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:23:42 by Eric16 »
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2016, 08:02:04 »
Just curious xD

Regular/ Reserve: Reserve

You are applying as a Reservist,

From a CAF Recruiter in 2012,

CAFIB 20 is a "Permanent ID Card" and the CAFIB 13 is a "Temporary ID Card".  CAFIB 13 is issued by your local Military Police Ident Section.  Your Res F Unit should provide you with an ID Request Form and make an appointment to be processed.  The CAFIB 20 will follow in a few months.

Also, I don't believe they use the term "CAFIB" any longer.....I think it has been changed to NDI 20 or 13.

CFAO 26-3

Close.

It is now:

Temporary ID card is a NDI 10
Permanent ID card is a NDI 20

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 17:23:28 by mariomike »

Offline Inuym

• Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2017, 23:58:50 »
Hello I have a few questions as it seems My only option may be to go reserves rather than full forces for the next two years. Now I am applying for the position of combat engineer and being as it would be through the reserves I am wondering what the training schedule would be like? Is it the same as regular force where I would attend basic training then bmq then occupational training before being complete with my training and returning home to the reserve forces? Or is it split up throughout the year to accommodate? I am not asking because I have a problem with doing the long haul I just want to educate my self.
Also I am wondering what the average reservist hours per week is? I know its one night a week and a weekend a month minimum however does this vary and if requested can you do more hours?

Also for you combat engineers who may be reading this I am also interested in what your favorite task and or moment is in your occupation?

Offline PandemicStrange

• Rate Post
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2017, 01:53:58 »
Hello I have a few questions as it seems My only option may be to go reserves rather than full forces for the next two years. Now I am applying for the position of combat engineer and being as it would be through the reserves I am wondering what the training schedule would be like? Is it the same as regular force where I would attend basic training then bmq then occupational training before being complete with my training and returning home to the reserve forces? Or is it split up throughout the year to accommodate? I am not asking because I have a problem with doing the long haul I just want to educate my self.
Also I am wondering what the average reservist hours per week is? I know its one night a week and a weekend a month minimum however does this vary and if requested can you do more hours?

Also for you combat engineers who may be reading this I am also interested in what your favorite task and or moment is in your occupation?

I'm not a reservist, but I did find some things for you to look at that would help you with what you're looking for perhaps. The links provided are google searches for the entire Army.ca website. That being said, typically Reserve training is done on the weekends, however depending on the unit and situation it could be a full time course for a few months (from what I've seen and heard). Hope this helps!

Away from home - Reserves
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22away+from+home%22+reserves&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TbMjWPWUG8WC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl

Reserve training
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+reserve+traing&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5bMjWPvILsWC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+reserve+training

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2017, 08:03:19 »

Information on Combat Engineers
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22088.0/nowap.html
9 pages.

Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,109556.0/nowap.html

See also,

Combat Engineer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+%22Richard+Spencer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dliDWL78H8qC8Qf4oKnYDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+combat+engineer

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:31:11 by mariomike »

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2017, 23:41:08 »

Not an engineer, but a reservist.

It is honestly is a lot of it "depends". The majority of the training takes place in the following two time frames:
A) During the "Summer" - May -> August (Full Time)
B) On Weekends -> September -> April

That being said if you are available, you may get the option to go on a reg-f course, but there needs to be spots, and you can get bumped at any minute. Likewise random taskings/support tasking's can and do happen, but until you are trained you are more or less "useless" and will likely not be selected. Every unit is different with the PATs (Personnel Awaiting Training), some do the best they can to fully integrate them with the unit and others keep them completely separated until they are trade qualified.

Bottom the reserves is great supplementary income, unless you manage to get a class B/C Contract (full time contract). But you won't be remotely close to get one until you get your cpl's (so +/- two years), and even if you get one of those you might be  stuck in job/position completely unrelated to your trade.

Like wise full time in the summer months isn't guaranteed, there either needs to be a tasking/course for you to go on in order for you to get paid.

There is a maximum number of Class A days (I.e Part time/Day to Day days ) that you can work a year I think it is either 80 and then your CO has to approve the next 20 and then your brigade commander needs to approve another 20 and Div commander another 20. All easier said than done.

As a "fully trained" - and active member a regiment working pretty much every available weekend/training night I make about $10-$12k gross/yr. Excellent pocket money which is helping me pay back my student debt but that is about it. This year will likely be less as I'll have to use vacation days if I want to go on any week/two week exercise/taskings or try and take LWOP and loose money. 

I'm not sure of the specifics of your situation and quite frankly I love the reserves, but do not try to turn a part time job into a full-time job.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 23:58:37 by runormal »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:38 »
To add to what runormal said,

During the "Summer" - May -> August (Full Time)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+summer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N6-EWI7TEKeC8QezmISgCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+summer+BMQ

On Weekends -> September -> April
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+summer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N6-EWI7TEKeC8QezmISgCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+weekend+BMQ

There is a maximum number of Class A days (I.e Part time/Day to Day days ) that you can work a year I think it is either 80 and then your CO has to approve the next 20 and then your brigade commander needs to approve another 20 and Div commander another 20.

Maximum number of Class A days is discussed here ( and elsewhere ),

Pay - Reserves 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php?topic=123906.0

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Offline Heinrick Archsider

• Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: February 10, 2017, 17:27:10 »
Hello,

I'm currently a grade 12 student however due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger. Long story short they set me up for an evergreen and being honest I have barely taken any real classes for my high school.

My question is this: Can I join an occupation in the Canadian military with an evergreen certificate?

I attempted to apply for the reserves and made it as far as my physical test. After that, I got a call that because I did not have the required minimal grade 10 course or the minimal 50 credits ( I was in grade 11 at the time) my application was halted until we could figure it out.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2017, 17:49:43 »
Only the recruiters will be able to figure that out with you, none of us can give a better answer or override. You're in the process, you'll have to work with them to see it through.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2017, 19:35:21 »
Hello,

I'm currently a grade 12 student however due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger. Long story short they set me up for an evergreen and being honest I have barely taken any real classes for my high school.

My question is this: Can I join an occupation in the Canadian military with an evergreen certificate?

I attempted to apply for the reserves and made it as far as my physical test. After that, I got a call that because I did not have the required minimal grade 10 course or the minimal 50 credits ( I was in grade 11 at the time) my application was halted until we could figure it out.
H.A. :  Is this for the regular force or reserve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2017, 20:16:27 »
H.A. :  Is this for the regular force or reserve?

I attempted to apply for the reserves

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:37 »
Good Day,

What any recruiter will answer is as follows:

Basic entry requirements into the Canadian Armed Forces are as follows:
  • Age - Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except (a) Regular Officer Training Plan - Junior applicants must be 16 or older; and (b) Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
  • Citizenship - Must be a Canadian Citizen
  • Education - Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec)

If you do not meet the Entry Standards as they are written than either a PLAR and/or waiver would need to be requested.
It is not up to recruiters to decide on whether these are approved.

Best Regards

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2017, 11:42:15 »
Quote from: Heinrick Archsider
  due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger.

Missed 33 days in my last semester thanks to Warcraft and I still made the infantry :salute:
There are no wolves on Fenris