Author Topic: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES  (Read 128606 times)

Offline Dockrill923

• Rate Post
Re: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2016, 14:47:03 »
our 16/17 year old guys on BMQ were allowed as it is a required part of the training. as for cadets as far as I know they can't anymore
"Always choose confidence over arrogance" - Paul B'ocuse

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2016, 21:23:00 »
Good Evening,
     I'll make this quick, I really want to join the reserve, but I have a new daughter, and just started a new job. Am I required to leave for training, or is training local?  Thank you for your time.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
« Reply #202 on: May 22, 2016, 21:31:26 »
Your basic training(BMQ) most likely would be local and done on weekends(some courses are full time in the summer). Your range weekend would most likely have you travel out of the area though, the military would transport you. As well, on the weekend BMQ course you will be spending your weekend(including nights) at the armoury.

Other courses such as your trade course(DP1) would most likely be out of area and be full time. Also, future career courses would be out of area. Where the training takes place will depend on the trade(job) you join as.

As well, weekend training exercises with your unit would be out of your local area. Some may be local, but expect to be away from home on these weekends.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 21:36:07 by LightFighter »

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2016, 21:51:05 »
Don't make it quick. Take it slow and read through older threads here, like this one, STICKIED so that people can find it easily. You have time to do some research.

There is a ton of info here already, ripe for the harvesting, with no need for further repetition. As a bonus to you, as you explore the Site, you'll likely find answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

If you really can't find answers, then we'll be glad to help - most likely that will be mariomike producing a link to where the answer has been eluding you.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2016, 22:11:46 »
Good Evening,
     I'll make this quick, I really want to join the reserve, but I have a new daughter, and just started a new job. Am I required to leave for training, or is training local?  Thank you for your time.
What area do you live in?

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2016, 23:39:09 »
Regina, Saskatchewan (thank you for you're prompt reply) for the record, I will be going down to the local reserve teusday, I'm just extremely excited.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2016, 00:01:13 »
Your basic training(BMQ) most likely would be local and done on weekends(some courses are full time in the summer). Your range weekend would most likely have you travel out of the area though, the military would transport you. As well, on the weekend BMQ course you will be spending your weekend(including nights) at the armoury.

Other courses such as your trade course(DP1) would most likely be out of area and be full time. Also, future career courses would be out of area. Where the training takes place will depend on the trade(job) you join as.

As well, weekend training exercises with your unit would be out of your local area. Some may be local, but expect to be away from home on these weekends.

Thank you all for your reply, I have zero problem leaving on weekends to train, I am more than ready to put the hours in, my only standing issue was that I just started a new job in a brand new feild of work as of February , I was worried that I would immediately need to leave for 8-16 weeks to begin training, and I doubt my employer would be ok with that, however, if it were say next summer, to leave for a month or so, it could be worked out. I will continue to peruse the site for more unanswered questions before teusday night when I can speak directly to a recruiter. Again, you all are very helpful. Thank you.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2016, 13:21:23 »
Thank you all for your reply, I have zero problem leaving on weekends to train, I am more than ready to put the hours in, my only standing issue was that I just started a new job in a brand new feild of work as of February , I was worried that I would immediately need to leave for 8-16 weeks to begin training, and I doubt my employer would be ok with that, however, if it were say next summer, to leave for a month or so, it could be worked out. I will continue to peruse the site for more unanswered questions before teusday night when I can speak directly to a recruiter. Again, you all are very helpful. Thank you.

Welcome to life, sometimes you have to make difficult decisions. You are also not going to be gone for 16 weeks in the summer, even when BMQ-L had a whole lot more in it, BMQ+BMQ-L was 9.5 weeks. Unless a unit has slots open for you, its likely you won't even be able to attend BMQ this summer, you haven't even spoken to a recruiter yet and those summer serials are going to start in 4-5 weeks. That's cutting it razor close for even a perfect and simple recruiting case to get through the system.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2016, 13:29:48 »
........you haven't even spoken to a recruiter yet and those summer serials are going to start in 4-5 weeks. That's cutting it razor close for even a perfect and simple recruiting case to get through the system.

Let's not create false hope.  The Recruiting Process will not be completed in time for anyone to attend summer serials, if they have not even applied yet.  If a person walked into a Recruiting office today, they may have their processing and enrollment done in late September, perhaps before Christmas; but even then, all the stars have to align.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2016, 14:15:57 »
Let's not create false hope.  The Recruiting Process will not be completed in time for anyone to attend summer serials, if they have not even applied yet.  If a person walked into a Recruiting office today, they may have their processing and enrollment done in late September, perhaps before Christmas; but even then, all the stars have to align.
Not an issue. I was under the impression the process would take some time. I briefly spoke to a recruiter last week at a trade fair my company attended, I was told the process could take 4-6 months, depending on slots and my application. All this does is gives me more time to learn and continue my fitness regime. Thanks all for your time, much appreciated.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline Gunshark

• Rate Post
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2016, 10:30:14 »
...I was told the process could take 4-6 months...

Or longer. In addition, the date you enrol is likely to be determined by when the next local BMQ serial is scheduled to run. I remember I would inquire about my application during the summer months and it wasn't getting much traction, but then things really started moving in the fall as I was being loaded onto an October 30 BMQ. It is also not uncommon to hear stories about candidates being enrolled a couple of days prior to the start of BMQ. So be ready for a lengthy application process as well as any updates on a moment's notice. Just get started early and go with the flow.

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2016, 22:58:57 »
Just talked to a recruiter today. Got all my paperwork and will fill out and drop off next week, and possibly do my fitness test on the same day. Basic Training can be done on weekends over 5 months, and trade specific will be accomplished next summer. Thanks much for all your info and help. Take care.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline karmeliet

• Rate Post
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:11 »
I've been reading a lot about a lot of different things about training as a part-time in the reserves, and I'm really confused over the mass amount of information everywhere. I went to an information session at Le Régiment de Hull in Gatineau and they offer positions as armoured soldiers in the reserves. They said that they go for one night a week and the whole weekend. This seems perfect to me, but they told me that it is obligatory to go for 9 weeks in the summer full-time. I thought that part-time reservists had the choice of being sent off somewhere and only need to do part-time service. Or is it different based on occupation? I should have asked when I was there, but it didn't click to me. I also asked if I could get information on a place that is more english-spoken, and I luckily found out I could join a unit in the Ottawa region too. But now, I am wondering if this obligatory full-time training would be the same for Infantry Soldiers? Is there no way around this full-time summer training? I have studies in the summer, that is why I ask. Everything seems perfect about joining the reserves part-time apart from this apparent obligation to go full-time for over two months in a different city. Thanks for reading and for any replies

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:39 »
You will have to go "full time". For some point.

Different course vary depending on the trade.

ACISS is 2 months,
Infantry is 2 months (2 1- month modules).

It is possible to so your basic and your BMQ-L (formerly known as SQ) part time on weekends. However your DP 1.0 (formerly known as QL3) is full time which varies trade by trade.

Do you have courses every summer?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:10:23 by runormal »

Offline blackhat123

• Rate Post
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2016, 07:01:15 »
For your SA, DP1 Armd Recce is approx. 5 weeks, with most weekends scheduled to be off. BMQ-L is 12 training days.

Karmeliet, if you do weekend BMQ during the training year, you can expect to be away from late June/early July until late Aug.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:50 »
For the most part Reserve soldiering is part-time (i.e. one or two evenings a weekend and occasional weekends).  However, they do need to bring you up to a certain level of training, which would take years if they had to do it in three hour slots, once per week.  So yes, there will be periods of extended training when you will have to stay overnight for several nights (or weeks).  Keep in mind that they pay you for this and most students find that as a summer job it pays pretty well (and is whole lot more fun than flipping burgers).
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2016, 08:23:35 »
Is there no way around this full-time summer training?

See also,

Reserve Q?s: Is summer training mandatory?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24352.0.html
OP: "Is summer training for Reserves mandatory?
Couldn‘t the BMQ and the rest of Basic Training be completed during the one evening a week and certain weekends that must be attended for training?"
2 pages.

Any reserve DP1/DP2 training that can be done outside of summer courses?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104076.0
OP: "I've been exploring reserve occupations that can accommodate working people who can't take summer courses due to work/lack of vacation.
It's either weekend training, modular training or changing/quitting jobs to make the reserves happen."

etc...

There are many discussions regarding full-time versus part-time Reserve training.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:53:16 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2016, 14:08:52 »
Is there no way around this full-time summer training? I have studies in the summer, that is why I ask. Everything seems perfect about joining the reserves part-time apart from this apparent obligation to go full-time for over two months in a different city. Thanks for reading and for any replies
I spoke to a recruiter on teusday evening, (I apologize for not knowing the acronyms for training. So bear with me) and what I got from it is for the reserves you will complete your BMQ on weekends over the course ofna few months, then you go for your trade specific training over the summer, however, you can conplete your trade specific training over two summers, in 3 week blocks, but it's not recommended, not only is there the possibility of forgetting what you have learned (due to the fact it's not all in one smooth transition tying all your training together) but you also cannot join in with all the training exercises because you will be in a B unit, so you would be helping set up the exercises for the trained reservists or cleaning weapons etc. My recruiter warned me that it would be a very boring way to spend a year.
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2016, 14:40:43 »
So bear with me) and what I got from it is for the reserves you will complete your BMQ on weekends over the course ofna few months, then you go for your trade specific training over the summer, however, you can conplete your trade specific training over two summers, in 3 week blocks, but it's not recommended, not only is there the possibility of forgetting what you have learned (due to the fact it's not all in one smooth transition tying all your training together) but you also cannot join in with all the training exercises because you will be in a B unit, so you would be helping set up the exercises for the trained reservists or cleaning weapons etc.

See also,

Weekend courses over summer?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,81143.msg776170.html#msg776170
"So for those of us that have jobs that we wouldn't be able to take time off from during the summer, we'll just have to wait in till the resumption of regular training after summer to go on course over the weekends?"
"...depending on what trade you intend to join, the requisite trade courses will, in alot of cases, only be available full-time during the summer."

Work Full time, Basic Training Days
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105695.0
"ALL trade courses are done on a full time basis in the summer."

Work balance in the CAF Reserves
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120550.0
"I also recently started a full time civilian job. I am wondering if you guys can share you experience working full time in a civilian job and balancing that with military life.Was it difficult?"

Does my civilian job work with Reserve Service?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120072.0
"If you join the reserves, expect to be gone for two full months the first summer you're in."

etc..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 17:21:52 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2016, 17:37:24 »
Is there no way around this full-time summer training?
As stated, no.
You can:
-Not join
-Join and go away for one summer then spend the rest of your career putting in as little work and effort as possible, basically taking the spot of someone who would contribute to the unit a lot more.
-Talk to your teachers and come up with some kind of arrangement like taking your exams early.

apart from this apparent obligation to go full-time for over two months in a different city.
What would you do if you join the reserves and are for whatever reason ordered to work full time for X amount of weeks/months?

It's probably not your fault, it's probably the recruiters for just trying to get you in the door and not explaining the environment and expectations better.  The reserves doesn't exist to put money in your pocket when it's convenient to be blatantly honest.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2016, 14:13:26 »
As stated, no.
You can:
-Not join
-Join and go away for one summer then spend the rest of your career putting in as little work and effort as possible, basically taking the spot of someone who would contribute to the unit a lot more.
-Talk to your teachers and come up with some kind of arrangement like taking your exams early.
What would you do if you join the reserves and are for whatever reason ordered to work full time for X amount of weeks/months?

It's probably not your fault, it's probably the recruiters for just trying to get you in the door and not explaining the environment and expectations better.  The reserves doesn't exist to put money in your pocket when it's convenient to be blatantly honest.

I'm with you on everything except the bolded part.

Given that the last time that's happened was towards the end of world war 2, I don't see it as a factor. Yes, its conceivable that an earth-shattering event and change in government policy could mean a mandatory callup, and that liability should be mentioned to someone joining the CF. But telling them to prepare to plan a break in their routine life with work and school for any circumstance short of that is getting off-track.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2016, 15:11:33 »

Given that the last time that's happened was towards the end of world war 2, I don't see it as a factor. Yes, its conceivable that an earth-shattering event and change in government policy could mean a mandatory callup, and that liability should be mentioned to someone joining the CF. But telling them to prepare to plan a break in their routine life with work and school for any circumstance short of that is getting off-track.

Even if that were to happen, "Leave of absence shall be granted to employees to serve in the Armed Forces during hostilities or during a time of war as declared by the Government of Canada. Seniority will accumulate during such leave."

That's the written agreement where I used to work. YMMV. It applies not only to Reservists, but also Volunteers and those who may be conscripted.

See also the 20-page, "Reservists Job Protection Superthread".

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 15:46:05 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2016, 09:25:32 »
Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for reference,

"I'm going to be submitting my application shortly for the Navy Reserves and I was wondering if the tests and interview are put up against all positions available to reservists or only the ones on your application (maximum of 3)."
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123204.0.html

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2016, 21:49:31 »

Choosing a reserve unit to apply to and the trades on application
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123215.msg1438861/topicseen.html#new

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2016, 14:14:29 »

Re-apply reserve after declining reg force offer
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123321.msg1440362/topicseen.html#new
Q: "I am curious what the wait time is to re-apply for reservist"

A: There is no wait time to re-apply.  Because you are changing elements and CFRCs there is some administration that will need to take place for your file to continue.
* You will need to contact your new CFRC to ask for your file to be transferred.
* You will need to contact the Reserve unit to find out if (1) they're hiring and if so (2) when you can do a FORCE Test with them.