Author Topic: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES  (Read 132563 times)

Zombie and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2017, 11:42:15 »
Quote from: Heinrick Archsider
  due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger.

Missed 33 days in my last semester thanks to Warcraft and I still made the infantry :salute:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline alpine87

• Rate Post
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2017, 19:23:07 »
I have seen people without high school join and were very successful. You can only accomplish whatever you commit yourself to.

Offline tmanisdown

• Rate Post
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2017, 12:59:02 »
Hey, everyone, i have some quick questions I looked around I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I was sworn into the armed forces as a combat engineer NCM in the reserves this past Friday (March 31st, 2017) so I haven't paraded with my unit yet.

From talking with my recruiters I was told I will be doing BMQ, BMQ-L and trade qualifications from May to mid-August. I was wondering while I am on course would I have to pay for the meals at the mess hall or will everything I need be provided while I am on course.

Also, I already know what to expect for BMQ and BMQ-L, however, i am not too sure what to expect for trades training in Gagetown at the school of engineering. Would anybody know what i could be expecting during my trade course.

Thank you

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #253 on: April 02, 2017, 15:31:24 »
Well congrats on getting in as a Combat Engineer. I went through those 3 courses the same way your about to over a decade ago. Everything will be provided for you including your meals.

You will need to buy certain things such as boot polish and razors but the canex will have those if you forget anything.

Gagetown is a big base so if reserves are still living in mod tents during the summer then you might only eat at the mess for dinner. Breakfast will be hay boxes and lunch is a boxed lunch.

I don't want to comment to much on trades training as I have been out for a bit now and am not up to date on everything.

You will be happy to be trades trained by end of summer as many new recruits take 2 years to reach that.

Enjoy it.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #254 on: April 02, 2017, 21:02:47 »
Hey, everyone, i have some quick questions I looked around I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Thou didst not look widely, nor deeply, enough, for thou didst miss this whole sweet thread despite its eight-page enormity, and despite it being stickied at the top of this very sub-forum.

Offline jules48

• Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2017, 22:33:19 »
Hi, I emailed my local reserve regiment a few questions about enlisting they haven't replied in a week. I tried calling in but there's an automated voice saying to email them. Should I visit their armory to ask the questions and enlist? and Do they accept summer applications? Thanks

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2017, 09:13:09 »
Welcome to Army.ca, jules48

The average Reserve unit is only active one evening per week, and it is quite possible that the person to whom you sent the e-mail was absent for the last parade night. A visit would not hurt, but make sure that you know which night to go.

There is a lot of information here on this Site. Start reading through other pertinent older threads (I presume that you read through this thread prior to adding to it), especially those threads stickied at the top of each subforum.

And it's "armoury" in Canada.

Offline jules48

• Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:36 »
Thanks for the help. I have a friend in the regiment I'll ask him the hours and look around here.

Offline Catbert225

• Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2017, 21:27:09 »
Okay, so I'm new to these forums and thought that this might be a good place to ask some questions.

So, I want to join the navy reserves next year when I turn 16, but I ran into a problem. the closest navy reserve division is about a 2-hour drive away, and I would not be able to drive on my own until I get my full license.

However, I do live just outside an army base, and have heard that some bases have buses that go out to these divisions, would this be true, or would I just have to find someone to carpool with?

Also, is joining cadets something that would help me? I want to join sea cadets so I can learn a little bit about the navy before I join, but I have heard that it can actually make it worse when applying?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2017, 21:36:29 »
Okay, so I'm new to these forums and thought that this might be a good place to ask some questions.

So, I want to join the navy reserves next year when I turn 16, but I ran into a problem. the closest navy reserve division is about a 2-hour drive away, and I would not be able to drive on my own until I get my full license.

You must be 17 to join the CF.

However, I do live just outside an army base, and have heard that some bases have buses that go out to these divisions, would this be true, or would I just have to find someone to carpool with?

There may be transport that goes from place to place, but it is unlikely to be available for when you need it given the hours Reserve units typically parade over.

Also, is joining cadets something that would help me? I want to join sea cadets so I can learn a little bit about the navy before I join, but I have heard that it can actually make it worse when applying?

Many people find Cadets a useful first step. How it serves you later is all up to you, but it may have little or no effect on you application.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2017, 22:18:27 »
Welcome to Army.ca, Catbert225

As you can see, I have merged your thread into this one, which is stickied at the top of this subforum where it may readily be found by those seeking answers to "QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES".

There is a wealth of knowledge already on this Site, ripe for the plucking. Please seek and read through pertinent older threads, especially those also stickied at the top of their subfora. They are stickied for good reason.

You will learn much more by doing this, will likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you, and you will help keep this Site less cluttered.

Happy Reading.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2017, 22:53:28 »
I want to join the navy reserves next year when I turn 16,

You must be 17 to join the CF.

Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 22:56:03 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline dantaeos

• Rate Post
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2017, 15:57:54 »
Hello,

I've completed the requirements in order to join the Reserves Infantry but am currently debating between joining as an NCM or an Officer (I already have a degree). While I am more inclined to join as on officer for the leadership training, I also know it takes two summers of modules to fully complete the BMOQ.

My question is therefore, what happens after the first summer of BMOQ, do you graduate even though you have not completed the full course? What are your responsibilities for that in between year, as you are not yet a full officer?

Thanks,

Andrew

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2017, 16:08:08 »
what happens after the first summer of BMOQ, do you graduate even though you have not completed the full course? What are your responsibilities for that in between year, as you are not yet a full officer?

You may, or may not, find these discussions helpful,

PRes Infantry BMOQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+officer+ncm&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tAf9WN6rNISN8Qfz-bqwBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+reserve+infantry+BMOQ&spf=1

As always,  Recruiting / your unit is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 21:43:29 by mariomike »

Offline dantaeos

• Rate Post
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2017, 22:37:30 »
Hey Mariomike,

Those links were useful in terms of how the training is like but they didn't go over the duties in that inbetween period where you are technically not an "Officer" yet. For example what if I am unable to take time off my work in the next year to complete the training?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2017, 22:47:42 »
For example what if I am unable to take time off my work in the next year to complete the training?

Might be a good question to ask your unit recruiter  before   you join?  :)

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2017, 08:59:32 »
A lot will vary with the unit. As mariomike suggested, you need to discuss this with the unit recruiter. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an interview with one of the more senior Officers as part of the recruiting process for a prospective officer.

Offline AdrianInfantry

• Rate Post
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2017, 15:27:24 »
Hello Readers,

Q1: Can you join reserves at the age of 16 while i am a full time student, i'm 16 at the moment and i am going for infantry. It says "Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student." But i am unsure if you must be finished grade 10 or not

Q2: How would basic training work since i'm still in school would i do basic periodically or during the summer

Q3: How long would i take for me to actually start basic after I've talked to a recruiter

Thanks for reading and if anyone has the awnser to any of my questions please do answer since i wish to apply as soon as possible  :cdn:

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2017, 15:45:06 »
i am unsure if you must be finished grade 10 or not

To apply to the Forces, you must:
Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

How would basic training work since i'm still in school would i do basic periodically or during the summer

Reserve Weekend or Summer BMQ
( As a student, if you have summers available, you may prefer Summer BMQ. )
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+BMQ+weekend+summer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=bz8GWcauAsiC8Qee6Y_4Cg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1

How long would i take for me to actually start basic after I've talked to a recruiter

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

See also,

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=16735.125
8 pages.

OP: AdrianInfantry
Joining the Reserves 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,125669.msg1486580.html#msg1486580

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 16:14:11 by mariomike »

Online Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2017, 16:55:04 »
Hi Adrian,

Just to expand a tiny bit more on what mariomike quite helpfully posted, talking to the CFRC (surely what he meant by "recruiting") will be your best bet. In the meantime, please have a read of the links he posted, and please keep your questions to one single thread. It really helps when it's all in one spot.

Good luck!

Edit: clarity.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 17:04:26 by Scott »
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2017, 19:33:58 »
In future please only post your queries to one thread - and please use the search feature as your questions have been asked and answered many times :-)

PS. Thank you mariomike & George Wallace; I hadn't even noticed the double thread.  This topic is locked and the other topic is removed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 19:37:05 by Buck_HRA »

Offline AdrianInfantry

• Rate Post
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2017, 15:58:44 »
Hello Readers,

I am finishing up grade 10 and i'm currently 16 but i wish to do basic training over the summer for the two months.
I'm finishing up grade 10 and i have about 1 month and a few weeks until i finish grade 10 but i know there is processing
involved, which i am required to show but the time that i finish will it be too late to join because i have waited a year so far
and i rather not wait another would it be possible for them to check my records education and such now? because i'm afraid
i will have to wait another year to do basic during summer.

If anyone has the answers to my question please do answer thanks.  :cdn:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 16:17:41 by mariomike »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2017, 16:18:06 »

AdrianInfantry,  I accidentally clicked the Modify button in my reply to your post.
I did not edit or modify anything.  My mistake. My apologies.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 17:11:02 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2017, 17:14:19 »
I have merged your two threads. Please do not start new threads asking much the same questions.

Did you read the links that mariomike generously provided? If not, please do so, as Scott already requested.

We do not know where you are in the recruiting process, so it is not possible to even guess. You seem to be asking if you can be given a higher priority, though. If that is correct, then you are not likely to be so accommodated.

Offline Danilochka

• Rate Post
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2017, 17:49:50 »
Hello,

I am returning in the fall as a full-time student to a university in Edmonton. I am interested in finding out more about the Reserve Force but I don't know which unit to contact in Edmonton to learn more (there are many under 'Find a Recruiter' in forces.ca). I live 9 hours from Edmonton so I can't drop by an office. I am wondering if there is even still time to join the Reserves [if accepted] in time for summer training? Lastly, does a position under 'Find a Recruiter' have to say "(Now Hiring)" to be available?

Thanks