Author Topic: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)  (Read 77438 times)

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Re: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
« Reply #1175 on: March 25, 2020, 11:09:22 »
Prince Charles tests positive for new coronavirus

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/prince-charles-tests-positive-for-new-coronavirus-1.4867279

A group of young adults held a coronavirus party to defy orders to socially distance, now one of them has coronavirus

The partygoers intentionally got together "thinking they were invincible" and purposely defying state guidance to practice social distancing

And the virus seems to be affecting young people in the United States more than it has in China. A report released last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that up to 20 per cent of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are between the ages of 20 and 44.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/a-group-of-young-adults-held-a-coronavirus-party-to-defy-orders-to-socially-distance-now-one-of-them-has-coronavirus-1.4867366

As of midnight, all travellers returning home to Canada must go into mandatory self-isolation for 14 days according to new measures being enacted under the Quarantine Act.

Travellers who disobey the mandated quarantines may be subject to fines or even arrest, according to the federal government.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/travellers-returning-home-must-enter-mandatory-self-isolation-health-minister-1.4867749
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 13:18:18 by OceanBonfire »
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1176 on: March 25, 2020, 14:01:13 »
As of midnight, all travellers returning home to Canada must go into mandatory self-isolation for 14 days according to new measures being enacted under the Quarantine Act.

Travellers who disobey the mandated quarantines may be subject to fines or even arrest, according to the federal government.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/travellers-returning-home-must-enter-mandatory-self-isolation-health-minister-1.4867749

As for your last point there has already been an arrest.
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/covid-19-woman-in-custody-in-corner-brook-after-allegedly-failing-to-self-isolate-following-international-travel-429067/
And it's a great day to be alive
I know the sun's still shining
When I close my eyes
There's some hard times in the neighborhood
But why can't every day be just this good

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #1177 on: March 25, 2020, 15:02:40 »
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet but the CDS yesterday cancelled all Force Tests with certain exceptions until further notice.  (hopefully I didn't miss one exceptions)
1. Deployment
2 CFLRS and Trg course where it's required
3. Substantive promotions.
No measurement and no discussion afterwards.
It was emphasized those are the only reasons.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #1178 on: March 25, 2020, 15:31:30 »
As for your last point there has already been an arrest.
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/covid-19-woman-in-custody-in-corner-brook-after-allegedly-failing-to-self-isolate-following-international-travel-429067/

That’s under a provincial emergency order. Tonight the federal Quarantine Act gets invoked, which can be applied broadly, applied equally across Canada, and enforced by quarantine/screening officers assisted by police.
+100
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
+300

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1180 on: March 25, 2020, 16:32:52 »
We were told to self isolate when we crossed the border a week ago.  I guess the addition of the word "mandatory" makes it more "official".  Yes, I know it's a federal messure now.  Because some people just don't think rules apply to them.   ::)

Wait til everyone is done with isolation/ quarantine for the second wave.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/as-china-virus-cases-near-zero-experts-warn-of-second-wave

Edit to add:  I think the mandatory isolation should be for all people who travelled, even within Canada, particularly those whose mode of transport was plane, bus or train.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 17:08:11 by PMedMoe »
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1181 on: March 25, 2020, 16:42:35 »
Spain's coronavirus death toll overtakes China's

With 3,434 fatalities, Spain now has the second highest number of deaths globally after Italy’s 6,820. Nursing homes across the country have been overwhelmed by cases and a skating rink in Madrid has been turned into a makeshift morgue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain/spains-coronavirus-death-toll-overtakes-chinas-idUSKBN21C21Z

Europe failing to communicate its response to coronavirus crisis, France says

Europe has failed to win the communications battle in its response to the coronavirus outbreak, leaving other powers such as China or Russia to win hearts and minds in the most affected countries like Italy, a French official said on Wednesday.

Italy, now the country worst-hit by the virus worldwide, was sharply critical of France and Germany after they initially declined to provide face masks and other equipment to help handle the outbreak.

Rome turned instead for help to China, which sent an airplane full of masks and ventilators bearing “Forza Italia” stickers with small Chinese and Italian flags - and leaving a powerful impression on Italians.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-europe-france/europe-failing-to-communicate-its-response-to-coronavirus-crisis-france-says-idUSKBN21C3DT

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1182 on: March 25, 2020, 17:11:20 »
If you call 9-1-1 these days,   

Temporary change to Tiered Response
https://twitter.com/Send_Paramedics/status/1242806282035376128

"Strong for You" memo

Same happened during SARS.

In Manitoba,

WINNIPEG -- Winnipeg’s firefighter’s union said it’s time to isolate emergency services from one another because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-firefighter-union-calls-for-separation-of-emergency-services-1.4866412

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 17:22:20 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1183 on: March 25, 2020, 17:25:37 »
Nearly 30% of US coronavirus cases have been among people 20-44 years old, the CDC says — showing that young people are getting sick, too
Additionally, that age group accounted for 20% of hospitalizations and 12% of ICU admissions among US cases, the CDC found.

https://www.businessinsider.com/30-percent-us-coronavirus-cases-people-between-ages-20-44-2020-3

British 21-year-old with no pre-existing conditions dies from coronavirus -Sun

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-victim/british-21-year-old-with-no-pre-existing-conditions-dies-from-coronavirus-sun-idUSL9N2BB009

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 17:30:56 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #1184 on: March 25, 2020, 17:58:08 »
Went for a 5K walk with the family today - nice to get outside. 

That said, as I watched cars zip by...and zip by...and zip by....I saw 3 work trucks that were possibly essential, and one delivery truck...most of the other vehicles were...single male individuals driving somewhere for some reason.  There was a lot of traffic...I was surprised.  In a quick survey, less than 20% were female.  I wonder if that's why there's a higher rate of infection in males being found as a trend?

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1185 on: March 25, 2020, 17:59:49 »
Fathers not working are running the errands while the mothers look after the kids not at school?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1186 on: March 25, 2020, 18:18:48 »
There was a lot of traffic...I was surprised.  In a quick survey, less than 20% were female.  I wonder if that's why there's a higher rate of infection in males being found as a trend?
Not to come across as a feminist... but is it possible that there's an IQ factor?
Science & common sense vs testosterone & I'm invincible?   :whistle:
+300

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1187 on: March 25, 2020, 18:27:33 »
Most of my co-workers are working remotely, but we still need a few people in the office to handle physical admin tasks such as processing credit cards, answering the phone and sending hard copies of documents off, as well as receiving and shipping goods. I was one of the chosen three.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1188 on: March 25, 2020, 18:42:20 »
As a former smoker in his late fifties I'm at higher risk than my wife but I'm the one doing resupply runs because food and drink has been my responsibility for almost all of our marriage.  See, I'm the cook and I'm particular about the food I buy.  But I do take precautions.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #1189 on: March 25, 2020, 19:39:51 »
London woman dies of suspected Covid-19 after being told she was 'not priority'

Kayla Williams, 36, from Peckham, south London, died a day after calling 999

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/london-woman-36-dies-of-suspected-covid-19-after-being-told-she-is-not-priority
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1190 on: March 25, 2020, 20:05:03 »
Another one in their 30s:

36-year-old New York City principal dies of coronavirus complications

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-city-principal-dezann-romain-among-nycs-125-deaths-brooklyn/

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1191 on: March 25, 2020, 20:41:18 »
Went for a 5K walk with the family today - nice to get outside. 

That said, as I watched cars zip by...and zip by...and zip by....I saw 3 work trucks that were possibly essential, and one delivery truck...most of the other vehicles were...single male individuals driving somewhere for some reason.  There was a lot of traffic...I was surprised.  In a quick survey, less than 20% were female.  I wonder if that's why there's a higher rate of infection in males being found as a trend?

NS

Quote from: Journeyman
Not to come across as a feminist... but is it possible that there's an IQ factor?
Science & common sense vs testosterone & I'm invincible?   :whistle:

I’m fortunate to be able to get out at varying times almost every day. There’s a large, popular area nearby for hiking, low level rock/boulder-climbing, a very open park area with picnic tables, and long paved paths for walking/jogging. For the most part, the majority of those I’ve seen (from a very good distance) not practicing social-distancing there have been males, probably between the ages of 17-25/30ish. Of course, I’ve seen females being blasé too; but percentage-wise, yes, I’d have to say that it’s been males not adhering.

'Go home and stay home.' But also exercise. How do we do that?

Clearing up some confusion about what kind of exercise is allowed under social distancing

Stephanie Hogan · CBC News · Posted: Mar 25, 2020 4:00 AM ET

...The government of Canada website about coronavirus says, as long as you stay two metres from others, you can "go outside for some fresh air, a run, a bike ride, or to walk the dog."...

... First, just an important note: this story applies to people who are symptom-free, have not recently travelled internationally, and have not been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19...

More at link
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-exercise-covid-19-guidelines-1.5509056
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 21:21:57 by BeyondTheNow »
”You don’t have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you’re holding. ”
~Cheryl Strayed

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1192 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:11 »
The medical folks are suggesting a 10' separation to be sure that you avoid the effects of caughs and the odd sneeze.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1193 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:49 »
Health minister encourages kindness, fresh air to manage COVID-19 stress

OTTAWA — Patty Hajdu said she is worried about the toll that pandemic-related anxiety and isolation will take on the mental health of Canadians and is encouraging people to help themselves and others through the crisis with kindness and the great outdoors.

The federal health minister told the Senate Wednesday she was about to brief cabinet on some idea of how long Canadians might have to stay isolated from each other, knowing full well the longer this lasts, the more hits mental wellness is going to take.

“Some of our most hopeful scenarios, they are not necessarily what Canadians would like to hear,” she said. “This is not a matter of a couple of weeks. We’re talking about a couple of months...”

...The best advice from a health perspective is to get outside to get fresh air if you are not ill,” she said.

If you are sick, or have been in close proximity to someone who is, stay inside, she said. But everyone else can and should go for a walk as long as they maintain a two-metre distance from anyone they aren’t already living with...

More at link:
https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/health-minister-encourages-kindness-fresh-air-to-manage-covid-19-stress/
”You don’t have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you’re holding. ”
~Cheryl Strayed

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1194 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:58 »
The medical folks are suggesting a 10' separation to be sure that you avoid the effects of caughs and the odd sneeze.

Currently, Canada’s medical professional’s recommendations is 2 metres (6’), with no contact if healthy; stay indoors if ill/exhibiting any sort of symptoms. But, for sure, it doesn’t hurt to remain further apart, and I’ve observed people doing that also. 
~Cheryl Strayed

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1195 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:44 »
When I go outside here in Ottawa (I live near the Experimental Farm) everyone I've met has been observing the 1 fathom rule (or more). I was chatting with a friend and we commented that the highest insult used to be going to the other side of the street when meeting someone on the sidewalk. Now its the highest form of respect.

Strange times indeed!

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #1196 on: March 26, 2020, 09:42:10 »
Of course Mythbusters tested this:

A sneeze can leave a person’s nose/mouth at 100 mph (160 km/h).

busted

Adam and Jamie used snuff to irritate their mucous membranes and force themselves to sneeze. Droplets from Adam’s and Jamie’s sneezes traveled at 35 mph (56 km/h) and 39 mph (63 km/h), respectively.
Droplets from a sneeze can travel up to a distance of 30 ft (9.1 m).

busted

To get a visual indication of distance, Adam mixed cherry drink powder into the snuff and sneezed over a 30-foot-long strip of white paper. When this method failed to show any marks, he and Jamie tried drinking a small amount of food coloring just before sneezing. This idea worked, giving a maximum distance of 17 ft (5.2 m) for Adam and 13 ft (4.0 m) for Jamie.

Nasal secretions from a person with a cold can spread so far and so quickly that anyone in the vicinity can become contaminated.

confirmed

Adam and Jamie consulted with an otolaryngologist and learned that a person with a cold may secrete up to 60 milliliters of mucus per hour. Jamie built a rig from a syringe and tubing to match that drip rate with fluorescent dye, and Adam wore it by his nose as he did model-building work. After one hour, he and everything he had touched were stained with the dye.

They then set up a party for Adam to host, with three “germaphobe” guests (Kari, Grant, and Tory, who were briefed to try to avoid contact with Adam) and three unsuspecting ones. Thirty minutes later, Adam, the whole table, and every guest except Kari – who admitted that she actually was a germaphobe – were heavily contaminated. In a second experiment in which Adam consciously did his best to avoid physical contact, all six guests came up clean.

Adam and Jamie declared the myth confirmed at this point, commenting that a healthy person would find it very difficult to avoid being contaminated by a sick one who did not attempt to keep from spreading his/her germs.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1197 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:10 »
Domestic terror suspect allegedly plotted to use car bomb on hospital during coronavirus outbreak

Timothy Wilson, 36, was "actively planning to commit an act of domestic terrorism -- a bombing -- and over the course of several months had considered several targets," according to the FBI. He had recently decided to target a hospital as news surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic picked up, sources familiar worth the investigation told ABC News.

Wilson was killed Tuesday when he allegedly showed up armed to pick up an inert explosive device supplied by authorities. He was injured and taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/domestic-terrorist-allegedly-plotted-car-bomb-hospital-coronavirus/story?id=69803480

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-says-man-killed-missouri-wanted-bomb-hospital-amid-coronavirus-n1169166

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1198 on: March 26, 2020, 11:30:16 »
The medical folks are suggesting….
Now imagine if people would actually listen to and adhere to the advice of medical experts, as opposed to other sources of... info.  :waiting:

But if I was into fortune-telling...

I'd forecast that a significant percentage of the population will ignore mere facts, and contract the virus.

They will in turn, infect a greater percentage of the population -- the ones who believe in facts and science, and do their best to avoid contamination by the others.

Eventually, society will be decimated (in the literal, historical sense of the word), in waves, as the numbers periodically decrease and the "mission accomplished" banners appear prematurely, because it's the virus  that determines the timeline
                             ….and we're often at the mercy of those who just... don't... get it:brickwall:

Note: "Negative Nelly" attitude is due to being pretty much cooped up for about a week so far, with little more than food, alcohol, and a loving family to sustain me.  It's not easy.  ;)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1199 on: March 26, 2020, 12:12:20 »
Putting the F in WTF

TOUGH LOVE Spanish cops ‘forced to break up ORGY during coronavirus lockdown’
https://www.the-sun.com/news/591807/spanish-cops-forced-to-break-up-orgy-during-coronavirus-lockdown/
There are no wolves on Fenris