Author Topic: Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????  (Read 55792 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????
« Reply #725 on: October 15, 2020, 22:16:31 »
This is what our government has become.

Libs filibuster two House committees despite opposition’s efforts to reopen WE Charity probe
Liberal MPs are continuing to filibuster two House of Commons committees to avoid voting on motions that would reopen the investigation of the WE Charity scandal.

If adopted, motions before both the finance and ethics committees would request documents related to the WE Charity affair.

A filibuster is a political procedure where one or more members of Parliament debate over a proposed piece of legislation so as to delay or entirely prevent a decision being made on the proposal.

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/10/15/libs-filibuster-two-house-committees-despite-oppositions-efforts-to-reopen-we-charity-probe/
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2020, 00:07:57 »
WE? WE who?

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #727 on: October 16, 2020, 00:46:28 »
I'm not entirely sure how committees work.. can the Liberals actually achieve "preventing a decision" by filibustering?

So far I've essentially seen filibustering as a method of protesting and raising the public's awareness of an issue by politicians. I don't see how filibustering can help the Liberals in this instance, as it just makes them look guilty and makes it look like they are trying to avoid transparency, but eventually the committee is going to get to vote right?
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #728 on: October 16, 2020, 06:39:39 »
If the NDP keep backing Trudeau, they will simply vote not to continue or show the hidden documents
M'eh

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #729 on: October 16, 2020, 06:43:22 »
I'm not entirely sure how committees work.. can the Liberals actually achieve "preventing a decision" by filibustering?

So far I've essentially seen filibustering as a method of protesting and raising the public's awareness of an issue by politicians. I don't see how filibustering can help the Liberals in this instance, as it just makes them look guilty and makes it look like they are trying to avoid transparency, but eventually the committee is going to get to vote right?

The Liberals don't care about appearances, that much is obvious right now. They know that the people who put them in power once, and then did it again, will keep on doing it. To borrow, and slightly mangle, a phrase used by someone somewhere, that everyone loves to hate; Trudeau could shoot someone in the middle of Younge Street at high noon and the idiots would still vote for him.
+300
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #730 on: October 16, 2020, 08:28:59 »
The Liberals don't care about appearances, that much is obvious right now. They know that the people who put them in power once, and then did it again, will keep on doing it. To borrow, and slightly mangle, a phrase used by someone somewhere, that everyone loves to hate; Trudeau could shoot someone in the middle of Younge Street at high noon and the idiots would still vote for him.

Well....he would of course, have to cry a little bit and apologize, but yeah....he’d be voted in again.

The cabal is getting closer and closer to having to raise the GST...1,200,000,000,000CAD debt is not particularly sustainable.

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #731 on: October 16, 2020, 09:49:03 »
Well....he would of course, have to cry a little bit and apologize, but yeah....he’d be voted in again.

The cabal is getting closer and closer to having to raise the GST...1,200,000,000,000CAD debt is not particularly sustainable.

Its brilliant in my opinion.  Its very forward thinking.  They are spending us into oblivion and providing cake and circus to the unwashed masses, who in turn have become addicted to the free money and a free and easy lifestyle.  Now try to be the follow on Gov that wants to come in and clean this up.  You'd be considered the son of Satan.

Its brilliant IMHO.  They have created a system of setting any future fiscally responsible Gov's up for failure and quick return for them. 

If I were the Con's I wouldn't want to win an election for at least the next two cycles, in fact I would ensure we remain strong in opposition but ensure we don't win.  Let the Libs fester in this. 
+300
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #732 on: October 16, 2020, 09:58:16 »
Its brilliant in my opinion.  Its very forward thinking.  They are spending us into oblivion and providing cake and circus to the unwashed masses, who in turn have become addicted to the free money and a free and easy lifestyle.  Now try to be the follow on Gov that wants to come in and clean this up.  You'd be considered the son of Satan.

Its brilliant IMHO.  They have created a system of setting any future fiscally responsible Gov's up for failure and quick return for them. 

If I were the Con's I wouldn't want to win an election for at least the next two cycles, in fact I would ensure we remain strong in opposition but ensure we don't win.  Let the Libs fester in this.

Exactly. It's grand strategy to create another progressive-friendly voting bloc that will be a powerful force for years to come. The elderly and vulnerable aren't going to be around to vote in the long-term, but the young voters who have had their economic prospects squeezed certainly will be.

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #733 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:36 »

For many people, this doesn't really hit home until you show how many zeros are in that number.  It's like the "modest" ten billion statement.

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #734 on: October 16, 2020, 10:09:20 »

Although I agree with what you are saying, for a more proper frame I am going to substitute the word "dreadful" everywhere you used "brilliant".

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #735 on: October 16, 2020, 14:12:13 »
Exactly. It's grand strategy to create another progressive-friendly voting bloc that will be a powerful force for years to come. The elderly and vulnerable aren't going to be around to vote in the long-term, but the young voters who have had their economic prospects squeezed certainly will be.

There is a quote somewhere - maybe Mr Campbell can weigh in - on how democracy will defeat itself by the electorate voting themselves lavish gifts which in turn begets higher taxes etc.....We are almost there.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #736 on: October 16, 2020, 15:41:52 »
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #737 on: October 16, 2020, 15:54:15 »

The difference is that Trump while living in New York had a carry permit for two handguns and might actually know how they work. Trudeau on the other hand would probably shoot himself in the foot (or some other extremity).
+300
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #739 on: October 16, 2020, 23:37:53 »
The difference is that Trump while living in New York had a carry permit for two handguns and might actually know how they work. Trudeau on the other hand would probably shoot himself in the foot (or some other extremity).
It's been oft rumoured on gun forums and podcasts that the PM is Canada's only CCW permit holder. It wouldn't surprise me as Liberals, like any elite ruling class, are keen to have things and privileges they deny to others
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #740 on: October 16, 2020, 23:47:01 »
It's been oft rumoured on gun forums and podcasts that the PM is Canada's only CCW permit holder. It wouldn't surprise me as Liberals, like any elite ruling class, are keen to have things and privileges they deny to others

Given his full bodyguard package, that seems bloody unlikely.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #741 on: October 17, 2020, 00:09:47 »

Could he use it to apply blackface? If so, then maybe...

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #742 on: October 17, 2020, 08:09:51 »
The Prime Minister went from painting his face black to painting documents highlighting his government's corruption black.
+300 « Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:15:40 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #743 on: October 17, 2020, 08:32:39 »

Agreed, but nothing coming out of the the Liberals surprises me anymore.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #744 on: October 17, 2020, 08:52:07 »
Hey, a lot of the internet was ablaze when it found out the RCMP Commissioner and Morneau were related, so it must be true if it's on the interwebs ;)
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #745 on: October 18, 2020, 17:58:37 »

Welcome to the failings of democracy. When to many people not invested in the system start making decisions that control the system it will eventually fall apart. Democracy only works if the citizenry are responsible, historically this was controlled by ensuring only certain people could vote (land owners for example). Watching the last few elections it seems the parties are less focused on responsibility, and more on what they will give to the people.

Offline suffolkowner

• Rate Post
« Reply #746 on: October 18, 2020, 18:38:10 »
I'm not really sure what people wanted to happen. The government made the decision to shut down the economy, to bankrupt business and unemploy people. There were people on this site for all intent's cheering that decision. Everyday for over 6 months we have been innundated with views on how dangerous the virus is. I personally know people that have lost significant money because of this in the restaurant/entertainment industry and resulting loss of employment. Has the government's(both federal and provincial) been bungled? Of course, but I have yet to see anyone espouse a credible alternative

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2020, 18:40:31 »
I'm not really sure what people wanted to happen. The government made the decision to shut down the economy, to bankrupt business and unemploy people. There were people on this site for all intent's cheering that decision. Everyday for over 6 months we have been innundated with views on how dangerous the virus is. I personally know people that have lost significant money because of this in the restaurant/entertainment industry and resulting loss of employment. Has the government's(both federal and provincial) been bungled? Of course, but I have yet to see anyone espouse a credible alternative

Considering most western advanced nations have done similar things...
+300
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2020, 21:44:15 »
The credible alternative is the Swedish one.  The noteworthy thing isn't that Sweden didn't do a lot better; the noteworthy thing is that Sweden didn't do a lot worse.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #749 on: October 18, 2020, 22:05:44 »
My big problem with the whole time is that all the politicians, public health officials etc are on the PUBLIC payroll. They are getting paid regardless. Full salaries for them (all pensionable time, right?), and two grand for everyone else. Not the end of the world for a month or two, but the longer they try to drag that on, I see it as an attempt to re-purpose (even weaponize) the virus against the middle class and small business owners etc.

I'm fine with it as long as the politicians and bureaucrats (not talking front line public employees) cut their pay & benefits down at the same time. The moment I see that happen, I'll be happy to defer to their "expert" opinions. In the meantime, I will remain at least somewhat skeptical of the motives behind some decisions being made.